PDA

View Full Version : HPís new home server is small, smart, and impressively simple

dbarrow
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=325

...My biggest question was simple: Why should I buy this hardware when I can build my own server, presumably for less? In theory, the OEM software Microsoft supplies provides a solid base of features and functionality. Itís up to hardware vendors to add value with innovative design and complementary software to differentiate their product from the competition. In the desktop PC market, that rarely happens. After spending the last two weeks comparing the MediaSmart Server to one I built, I see the difference. HP has served up a nearly perfect example of how OEMs can take a solid OS and make it much better. Donít even think of building your own home server until youíve seen what HP has done with this small, quiet, extraordinarily expandable machine....

...And itís expandable. My review unit included two 500GB drives. I added another 800GB of storage by filling the two additional bays with a 320GB and 500GB SATA drive, respectively. The drive bays sit behind the front panel. To increase the storage on the server, open the door, slide out an empty plastic drive holder, and snap in a new drive ó no tools required. In all, it took me less than a minute to install each new drive, which appeared in the Home Server console instantly and needed only to be enabled with a mouse click. (If four drives isnít enough, you can add up to four external USB drives and one external eSATA drive.)...

...The more appropriate comparison is a network attached storage device with a terabyte of storage and a bundle of management and backup software, which typically costs $500 or more. For a small business, itís easy to justify the expense. ...

*Overall indications that this can be a cost effective option for small business/home business or any small network with several machines that require backup and file storage.