PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive, Easy Transfer of Files and Software When Upgrading?

mommalina
11-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Small businesses find software can ease pain of upgrades
BY ROBERT S. ANTHONY
Monday, November 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2007/11/05/2007-11-05_small_businesses_find_software_can_ease_.html

Software maker Laplink claims to have the answer, with software that can lower the cost of upgrading to a new PC to about $55, according to CEO Thomas Koll. The company's PCmover version 3.0 transfers files like documents, spreadsheets and e-mail, and moves and reinstalls the applications that created them, such as Microsoft's Office suite.

Laplink has a believer in Lawrence Adjah, an architect at WAAI Design on W. 36th St. in Manhattan. Adjah was looking for an easy way to move his company's data to more powerful PCs with dual-core processors from its 3-year-old units.

"We tend to need much more processing power," said Adjah, who uses Autodesk's AutoCAD, a $4,000 computer-aided design package that can be used to design anything from toys to skyscrapers.

"We're a small business, so we don't have any full-time IT [staff] here," Adjah said. "Being a small company, we all chip in and we do what we have to do."Like the company's old PCs, the new ones came with Microsoft's Windows XP operating system software, which has a utility that lets users transfer data between PCs. However, Adjah noted, it only transfers user settings, not the applications.

After some hunting, Adjah said he bought a single copy of PCmover, tried it and liked it. Once the PCs were linked to the office network and PCmover was loaded on each PC, the machines "found each other" and the rest of the file-transfer process was easy, he said.

"Just do it and walk away for a half-hour to two hours," Adjah marveled.

Adjah said PCmover successfully transferred and reinstalled 18 of 20 applications, including Microsoft Office, but couldn't handle AutoCAD and one other program, both of which had to be reinstalled separately. But reinstalling two applications per PC was far better than 20, he said.

Pricing for PCmover ranges from $49.95 for a copy downloaded from Laplink's Web site to $59.95 for a boxed copy, including data-transfer cable, to $350 for a license for 10-users.

Lina

Guest11
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
This is a waste. I bought this until I realized it is one license good for one move then got a refund. Much easier to use Acronis with Universal Restore and none of this license BS.

mommalina
11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
This is a waste. I bought this until I realized it is one license good for one
move then got a refund. Much easier to use Acronis with Universal Restore
and none of this license BS.

Just wondered, Rich. I forget where I came across this.

Maybe we should issue an invitation to Lawrence Adjah (the architect at WAAI
Design who fell for PC mover) to join our forum .. ;)

Lina

Guest11
11-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Not a bad idea Lina though we need to get home page fixed before inviting anyone here.

Freehold Fred
01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Small businesses find software can ease pain of upgrades
BY ROBERT S. ANTHONY
Monday, November 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2007/11/05/2007-11-05_small_businesses_find_software_can_ease_.html

Lina

Still doing a search and finding you guys pretty much smashed PC Mover. I just became aware of laplink's "PC Mover" this year (2008) and have nothing but praise for the product. I will report my experience more thoroughly in another post, but briefly I had spent literally weeks in prepping because I anticipated nothing but trouble with a program screwing around with my registries. I migrated from XP to Vista migration of NOT just files, but ACTUAL PROGRAMS!

An Image would NOT have worked --- different machines, different operating systems, different solution required.

Freehold Fred
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
This is a waste. I bought this until I realized it is one license good for one move then got a refund. Much easier to use Acronis with Universal Restore and none of this license BS.

I didn't realize you guys smashed PC Mover until a search came up with your post. I just became aware of laplink's "PC Mover" this year (2008) and have nothing but praise for the product. I will report my experience more thoroughly in another post, but briefly I had spent literally weeks in prepping because I anticipated nothing but trouble with a program screwing around with my registries. I migrated from XP to Vista migration of NOT just files, but ACTUAL PROGRAMS! An Image would NOT have worked.

Licensing is always an issue: the basic license is locked to two mated computers, with multiple and volume corp pricing avail. You just pass the cost on to a client.

dale@fcg
01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Licensing is always an issue: the basic license is locked to two mated computers

So you are not limited to one move, but one "pair" of pc's (basically one move in most instances since once the move is made the old pc is ditched or reformatted and sent on its merry way)?

Freehold Fred
01-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Licensing is always an issue: the basic license is locked to two mated computers

So you are not limited to one move, but one "pair" of pc's (basically one move in most instances since once the move is made the old pc is ditched or reformatted and sent on its merry way)?

That is absolutely correct. The mate or pair of computers are the licensees, jic you want to undo or redo the migration. Dale, have you used PC Mover, and if so, what was your experience?

dale@fcg
01-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I have not used Laplink's products in several years, and back then I liked the software and there was not a limit on uses or pc's (just limited to 1 user per license- normal licensing).

AdvancedSetup
01-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Well PC Transplant by Altiris was a great product at one time, but then Symantec bought them up and you know what happens to most products that Symantec buys up :frown:

old Altiris PC Transplant (http://www.calstatela.edu/its/techsupport/hardware/desktop/winsupport/pct/pct.htm)

But, it's no more really and is only for big shops with deep pockets.

Guest11
01-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Licensing is always an issue: the basic license is locked to two mated computers, with multiple and volume corp pricing avail. You just pass the cost on to a client.

Fred,
What I charge to migrate an OS to a new pc would cost the client less. To install a few programs and move files can't take more than an hour with no software charges, do you have customers made of money? Your way you charge them labor and software and the software is extra.

Freehold Fred
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Well PC Transplant by Altiris was a great product at one time, but then Symantec bought them up and you know what happens to most products that Symantec buys up :frown:

old Altiris PC Transplant (http://www.calstatela.edu/its/techsupport/hardware/desktop/winsupport/pct/pct.htm)

But, it's no more really and is only for big shops with deep pockets.

I don't remember Altris, but do remember PC Relocator (now Laplink's PC Mover), I think from the Rich Levin radio days. Back then, I believe it was a 50-50 proposition; my experience with PC Mover was a >95% happening!

Well, let me tell you, if I ever request like this from a big corp, I don't mind lining my pockets either. At least, I'll be doing it the old fashioned way:).