PDA

View Full Version : Need Windows ME media disk

TonyDi
11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a Dell laptop with bad hard drive. It won't even spin up. Need to install ME on new drive, but I don't have an ME disk. Is there a place on-line where I can download a WinME image?

Seth
11-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll send you a PM.

TonyDi
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
The alternative is to put some kind of Linux on this. I'll post in that forum.

qldit
12-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Good Morning Kelly, what is your actual aim there, are you simply trying to recover material off that drive or something more?
Cheers, qldit.

Jack Hackett
12-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi qldit,

Kelly wants to install ME on a new drive ;)

Need to install ME on new drive, but I don't have an ME disk.
If a ME installation CD is not forthcoming for Kelly, maybe you could enlighten Kelly in way of a suitable Linux Distro :D

Regards
Jack

qldit
12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Good Evening Gentlemen, yes you will find PCLinix Operating System is very similar to use as W-ME, there is a sticky in the Linux area on this site with enough details to get started, if you need any help Kelly, just make a new post in that area.

That Linux system is fully functional "straight out of the box" and you will find it very easy and usable.

Loading it to a drive is simple, but you do that from a running loaded live CD, not from an initial dead computer.

If the hard drive needs any extra partitioning or alteration don't hesitate to ask.

That system is also pretty good with wireless card detection.

I would suggest making the hard drive as master on the first IDE but it is not essential to do this.

Cheers, Lawrence.