PDA

View Full Version : can't connect to network printer.....

mikehende
12-13-2007, 08:42 PM
This Compaq desktop d510S is working fine and connects to the net by both wired and wireless card methods and absolutely no net connections problems but for some unknown reason I cannot get it to join the network [see the other pcs or see it from any of the others] or add the network printer. Help?

AdvancedSetup
12-14-2007, 04:22 AM
Hi Mike,

What operating system does it have on it?
Have you reviewed the EVENT VIEWER to see if there is something obvious shown?

When you say you want to join it to a network do you mean a Windows DOMAIN? NT4/2000/2003 Active Directory Domain? or do you just want to be able to see other computers on the same network?

If the last option, then have you made sure the firewall of the other systems allows you to see them?

Are you all using the same network details or DHCP?

ie. is everyone on something like

IP 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.100

Do you have the same WORKGROUP name for all computers?

Please provide some more details so that we can better assist you.

cheers :D

mikehende
12-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry for not giving more details, here's the skinny. We have 1 laptop [wireless connection] and 1 main desktop [wired connection] on a workgroup setup so yes, all pc's on the network have the same workgroup name. The Main desktop is wired to the router and every other pc connects to the net through that desktop. All pc's are assigned by DHCP and have the same details [Subnet and Gateway] except of course for the IP addresses. This pc in question runs XP Pro and I have turned off the windows firewall on each pc.

I am not having problems connecting any other pc on the network so I think the problem is coming from within this particular pc, any ideas? Yes, my intent is simply for all pc's on the network to see each other and share/transfer files.

mikehende
12-14-2007, 08:16 AM
I GOT IT, it was the freakin' #@$#@#^%$##@$# bleepity-bleep-bleep-BLEEP Norton which came with verizon online protection suite. I uninstalled it on both pc's and now I got both network and printed to connect without any problems. Maybe it's a good this happened as I will now try out the Eset, thanks for the help AdvancedSetup.