PDA

View Full Version : Ghost 14.0 Rocks!!!!!

guest102
03-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok got Ghost 14, installed it and then made an image file on 2nd internal hard drive. It was easy though in Ghost as I remember they want you to schedule as opposed to manually create image files so the bent of the program is to get you to do that. You sort of how to plow through to select a manual image file creation and it is a bit difficult actually to figure out how.

It actually might have been slower than Acronis, perhaps taking twice as long and there are not as many possibilities. You can choose degree of compression and verification but the only categories are the entire partition or drive and My Documents separately. if you remember Acronis has email and desktop as well as options and exactly what you want to backup is selectable.

I saw an option I do not remember from Acronis though which is to copy the image file to another location so I copied it to one of my NAS drives. Then after it completed I restored it perfectly from the NAS drive, again something no copy of Acronis will now do. So hooray it can be done!!!!

More to follow as I need to take a more in depth look tonight at the rest of the program. One thing that I found odd is that I selected restore from NAS drive in Windows and it said to reboot into the install cd, which then acts as a rescue disk to complete which it then did. It was neat the disk knew why I was coming there and did everything. One thing I remember though from the past is if you are going to use Ghost, you need to immediately copy the install disk because if that gets messed up, there is no ability to create a restore disk in the program and you are out of luck if you need to use it to restore.

guest102
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Well as much as I thought it rocks, I just tried 3 times to restore a Ghost image file to a new drive with no success at all. I realized what happened is that it did not carry back the mbr and Vista does not have the boot to dvd disk that you use "fixboot" and "fixmbr" so I had to waste time making an image file with Acronis and restore it back because Acronis gives you the option to restore the mbr, just as Drive Image, what Symantec has now ruined used to! I looked back later and I believe the option is there if I read the options correctly because it is not specific, but I never noticed it when trying to restore the image files. That is one of the reasons I hate to switch,and it's an ass pain trying to boot to the NAS drive from rescue disk though it finally did so. You have to map the drive in the rescue disk, and I can just see the average user figuring that one out easily! Then you have to decipher how to restore the mbr if it even does it, so I am done with this change and back to tried and true Acronis which has never failed me and a child can use.

dale@fcg
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Rich, Does Acronis 11 automatically carry back the mbr? If not what option needs to be checked before making image or restoring it?

guest102
04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
When you restore and you go to check what you want to restore, Acronis shows you the drive and the mbr right under it to check. That is really only necessary when using a new unformatted hard drive.

dale@fcg
04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
If you format the drive first, does that help- or not because there never was an mbr on it yet?

AdvancedSetup
04-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm still using Ghost Corporate version 8.03 and it works just fine with XP and Vista

I use Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to load first (and Ghost is installed as part of the CD) then I can attach to any server or computer I want on any network I have access to and save or restore an image, or from USB, or local drives.

A real shame that Symantec doesn't make that or similar Corporate version available at a reasonable price to home users.

guest102
04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
If you format the drive first, does that help- or not because there never was an mbr on it yet?
That would not do a thing. Formatting has nothing to do with creating an mbr and there is no need to format since the image file carries forward the formatting anyway.
I think the ability to also restore the mbr is there, it is just not obvious the way it used to be on earlier versions.

guest102
04-03-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm still using Ghost Corporate version 8.03 and it works just fine with XP and Vista

I use Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to load first (and Ghost is installed as part of the CD) then I can attach to any server or computer I want on any network I have access to and save or restore an image, or from USB, or local drives.

A real shame that Symantec doesn't make that or similar Corporate version available at a reasonable price to home users.

Working from bootup you could use really older versions of Drive Image as well, but that is old technology at this point. The ability to create and restore image files from within Windows is just so much more convenient and of course allows you to continue to work while doing so.

AdvancedSetup
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
The ability to create and restore image files from within Windows is just so much more convenient

Yes to some degree I would agree, just don't really care for their methods and interface so much. The idea is great but just not always what I want.
Also if Windows is screwed up so it won't boot you're back to old boot methods as well which typically that is probably 99% of the reason I do re-image a drive.

Just a personal preference more than a technological issue, I like the older product just fine for most stuff. Newer stuff is sort of like an advanced backup for me it has value but just doesn't appeal to me that much.

guest102
05-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Well I finally got the time and went back to see if I had failed to notice "Restore Mbr" when using Recovery on Ghost 14.0.
Coming in from Windows, the recovery does not offer that option when you choose custom but then unless you were to set it up and then replace the drive on reboot, that would be meaningless anyway.
The Rescue Disk (Install cd booted to) does allow it if you select "change" and then change settings but surprisingly it does not default to "restore mbr" you have to check it. Somehow Symantec has taken a very user friendly program (PQ Drive Image) and made it as convoluted as the original Ghost was.
Also typical of Ghost Rescue Environment, the recovery console did not like something and gave me an error message and had to close so I rebooted and tried again but it did work the second time without a hitch. It just does not seem as well laid out as Acronis nor as stable.

guest102
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Now I just remembered the other reason I uninstalled Ghost 14. This pc with Vista won't shut down it just hangs forever. I had tio uninstall Ghost to be able to shut down. What is the matter with Symantec? Must the produce only crap?