PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 Beta

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I decided to bite the bullet today and download IE8 on my most used desktop, on the XP partition. I have been using it for about a month now on a "rarely" used HP. So far I've noticed, alternate freezing of pages, pages loading slowly, and multiple pages shutting down when a freeze occurs. It does have some unique features, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in it's current beta stage. I'll probably use it on the XP partition for a month, if I can take it that long. I did create a new restore point manually before the download. I did this because I DID NOT see an automatic MS created restore point on the HP!! The usual prechecked items one has come to expect have taken a new twist! It has reached the point where I UNCHECK EVERYTHING, until I can CHECK out what is trying to be "rammed"! :D Screen shots #5 and #6 are most telliing....(EXPRESS SETTINGS) and (SAFETY FILTER) Safety Filter does NOT equal Phishing Filter.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/1e81.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/ie82.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/1e83.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/ie84.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/IE85.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/ie86.jpg

No matter what you uncheck or try to leave off your machine, you are still looking at removing toolbars! Seems to be a partnership with Yahoo, no mention of this was seen anywhere before, during or, haha after the install. What you see, is what you get!! Grrrr!!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/allheart55/computer%20funny/tool.jpg

Dan18960
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the update Cindy.

Let's see. . . .

Vista got me using LINUX

IE 8 looks like it will have me using FIREFOX. . . .

Darn, I'm going to be joining RICH soon (BAD TECH :D )

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the update Cindy.

Let's see. . . .

Vista got me using LINUX

Dan, Are you sure it wasn't Lawrence?

IE 8 looks like it will have me using FIREFOX. . . .
I left the stupid yahoo junk on the HP but it wasn't staying on anything of mine. It took a few minutes to realize how to get it off. I started with the Add or Remove and I didn't find anything Yahoo listed anywhere. I discovered, DUH, a right click, a delete and it goes directly to the recycle bin. I promptly emptied the bin. I don't know if I will actually be able to tolerate using IE8 for too long on this computer. (My grandkids use the HP and never seem to notice anything )

Darn, I'm going to be joining RICH soon (BAD TECH :D )

Dan, Behave, NOT BAD TECH, NOT!!:D

Dan18960
03-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Cindy,

NO, it was definitely VISTA!

Lawrence just assisted in confusing the daylights out of me with the 666 (yep devilish) number of Linux versions. I think if there were fewer versions, more standardization in the core, and also a standard way of downloading, Linux would be a very strong force for M$ to battle.

Guest11
03-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Cindy,
If those screens represent what you did, I would turn off the Security Filter and see if that doesn't make it run better. I also wonder if your test should have been done on Vista instead as you know at this point that is all MS is thinking about as there were plenty of issues with IE 7 and XP and still are. I think I may try it with my Sp 1 pc later though I never use IE so I'm not sure what that will do for me.
Dan if you want to see something really neat about FF that IE is years away from, go into Tools, get extensions, "extensions", "more" and load in Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchroniser...it will add any bookmark you place on any pc on to any other pc that has Foxmarks installed so all pc's will have the same bookmarks the same day you make them. There is no end to the unique features of Firefox. There is a password saver download called "Always Remember Password" that will save even the ones that have tricks to keep you from being able to do that and so on....

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Rich, I unchecked the Safety Filter from the beginning. I'm having all kinds of issues with it on this Dell. Displays are overlapped, resolution is distorted, constant freezing and intermittent loss of internet. I'm ready to bag it and just leave it where I've had it, on the old HP! :frown:

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-23-2008, 03:54 AM
I have bagged or should I say "binned" the IE8 on the Dell XP! I don't understand why the issues were steadily getting worse with it or why there have been only small, infrequent problems with IE8 on the HP. It will stay, for the time being, on the HP. I wouldn't advise anyone to try this beta, on anything they even slightly value! I had worse issues with the XP partition AFTER I uninstalled it, my restore point didn't alleviate the problems, it was sooo bad, I had to use the Acronis Image on the external drive to restore things back to "NORMAL"! :mad: :mad: :mad: My windows feedback wasn't "pretty"!:frown:

Guest11
03-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I have bagged or should I say "binned" the IE8 on the Dell XP! I don't understand why the issues were steadily getting worse with it or why there have been only small, infrequent problems with IE8 on the HP. It will stay, for the time being, on the HP. I wouldn't advise anyone to try this beta, on anything they even slightly value! I had worse issues with the XP partition AFTER I uninstalled it, my restore point didn't alleviate the problems, it was sooo bad, I had to use the Acronis Image on the external drive to restore things back to "NORMAL"! :mad: :mad: :mad: My windows feedback wasn't "pretty"!:frown:

Wow that sounds like a challenge for my bench box, a machine built from all kinds of scraps laying around this mess I call a workspace, and I could care less about how it runs! Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest11
03-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Wow up and rolling...this is the first IE I have ever liked but they have stolen still more FF features, especially my favorite "Favroites Toolbar" that places most used Favorites across the top in a separate bar.
I like the reply box here on KH too but I don't know why. It seems it is in a better place.
I also note there is an "emulate IE7 tab on top which I cannot imagine why I would try frankly.
I think I will play with this for a while, I actually like it and it seems as fast as FF.

Guest11
03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Speed difference is an illusion. I ran about 20 tests on FF and IE8 and I cannot crack 2700 kbps on Toast.net test site but on FF I am able to run 4300 quite a bit which is actually a larger difference thatn I have seen with FF for a while. I can break 5000 using Ubuntu usually and remember this is a 3.0 Veriszon DSL connection.

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Rich, I kept it on the HP but uninstalled it from the Dell. i don't like it at all!

Guest11
03-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I actually liked it but since it shows no speed difference I would stay with Firefox anyway.