PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing Windows 98

Vivienne
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi

We were given a computer that had Windows 2000 on it. The people we got it form tried to format it and they are not sure if they were successful. In any case, it now has no operating system. We have a Windows 98 install disk but the computer is not reading it. It doesn't give a choice to boot to CD and immediately says "there is no os". It is set up in the bios to boot from:

FDD then CDRom and then HDD.

The Windows cd has all the files on it. So if we can boot from the floppy and access the cd, perhaps we can run setup that way.

Any idea of how to proceed trying to get Windows 98 installed ?

Thanks!

Vivienne

dale@fcg
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Viv,
You need to format the drive as fat32, which back in the day was done with a win98 system boot disk. This amounted to a floppy disk that was made in a working windows 98 pc and it copied necessary hd tools from the windows folder to the floppy disk. If memory serves me correct you had to manually add the format utility, format.exe (or something like that). Then you would boot from the floppy, with the win98 cd in the cd drive. At the a: prompt you would use a dos command to format the hard drive as fat32. Then upon rebooting, at the a: prompt you would use a dos command to run setup.exe on the d: drive (the cd drive that holds the installation cd).

If you wanted to speed up the install and install it from the hard drive itself (which then allow the os to be overlaid ontop of itself -back in the days before XP Repair Console you would just overlay the os on top of itself to fix broken .dll's and inf's and registry entries) then you'd use some more dos commands to create a windows folder and its appropriate subfolders to then use another dos command to copy the setup.exe file from the cd drive to the correct windows subfolder. Then you would change directories with yet another dos command to run the setup.exe file you copied to the hd.

Another option could be to use Acronis Disk Director (or some similar program- like one from http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11706 or http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11723) to format the drive as fat32 and then see if you can get the pc to boot from the win98 cd and install your os.

One trick to force the pc to boot from the cd is to continuously tap the letter "C" on your keyboard from the time the pc is turned on thru its post and up until it starts booting from the cd drive (hopefully). I've used this trick of tapping the "C" key several times to force laptops to boot from a winXP installation cd or Acronis boot disc when I couldn't figure out what key to use to access the bios.

Vivienne
03-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Dale

You need to format the drive as fat32, which back in the day was done with a win98 system boot disk. This amounted to a floppy disk that was made in a working windows 98 pc and it copied necessary hd tools from the windows folder to the floppy disk. If memory serves me correct you had to manually add the format utility, format.exe (or something like that). Then you would boot from the floppy, with the win98 cd in the cd drive. At the a: prompt you would use a dos command to format the hard drive as fat32. Then upon rebooting, at the a: prompt you would use a dos command to run setup.exe on the d: drive (the cd drive that holds the installation cd).

Dale, this sounds like what I would like to do. I do not have a Windows boot disk. I have googled and found lots of sites that offer a boot disk but would much prefer to download one that one of you recommends.

I would appreciate some direction in which disk to download to accomplish the above.

Thanks!

Vivienne

Vivienne
03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Dale:

I did it! :-) We now have Windows 98 on that computer.

Thanks very much for your help!

Vivienne

Terry Hanushek
03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Vivienne

I did it! :-) We now have Windows 98 on that computer.
Sheesh .... we just talked Al away from Win98 and now we get another one :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Terry

(Owner of three functioning Win98 machines)

:focus:

Vivienne
03-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Terry:

Sheesh .... we just talked Al away from Win98 and now we get another one :eek: :rolleyes: :)

LOL!! My son needed it for just *one* dos program that he just can't live without. :-) Now he has to figure out how to get his brand new printer to print from dos. I foresee trouble. :-(

Vivienne

dale@fcg
03-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Now he has to figure out how to get his brand new printer to print from dos. I foresee trouble. :-(

Correction: Now he has to find an old printer to connect to this win98 pc :) . Rumor has it that Al Dom has an old HP he's looking to get rid. ;)

Seriously, that's great news, Viv. Please elaborate on how you accomplished getting 98 installed.

allheart55 (Cindy)
03-27-2008, 07:36 AM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/thfireworkcombo.gifhttp://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/thfireworkcombo.gifhttp://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/thfireworkcombo.gifhttp://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/ShowLetter15.gifhttp://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/thfireworkcombo.gifhttp://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/Tippy1955/smiley%20sm/laughwo7.gif

Vivienne
03-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Dale and Cindy :

Cindy:

LOL!! Thanks for the fireworks!! :-)

Dale:

Correction: Now he has to find an old printer to connect to this win98 pc :) .

Are you serious ? Would there not be dos drivers ?

Please elaborate on how you accomplished getting 98 installed.

I downloaded a Windows 98 Boot disk (floppy)from Bob Cerelli's website and I used it to run install from the CDRom. Win 98 would not install because it said something about NT and NTFS drives. I went back to the boot disk and ran fdisk. There were two partitions which *both* had to be deleted for win98 to install. I formatted the drive and then ran the setup on the cdrom. After that it was clear going. :-)

Vivienne

dale@fcg
03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Viv, there's a chance you could find drivers- can't hurt to try.

Fyi, Win98 cannot be installed to a hard drive that has been formatted in NTFS, which is what most hd's are formatted to these days since XP can use them. I assume you know a bit about the concept of hd's needing to be formatted (their magnetic coating structured, in other words) in a certain manner in order to accept/store data. If you are not sure about this, certainly it could be expounded on in this thread. Anyhow, as I was saying, win98 can't be installed on a NTFS formatted hd, therefore the need for you to use the boot disk to delete the NTFS partitions and then reformat them as FAT32 format, which win98 will install to.

Next time, I'm gonna make you install from the hd by using dos to create the c:windows/options/cabs folders on the c:drive and the copy the necessary files into cabs folder from the win98 cd :D:. Then you can install from the hd. Or just don't install any more win98, lol.

Vivienne
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Dale:

Viv, there's a chance you could find drivers- can't hurt to try.

I shall be talking to them on Saturday when I'll find out how it went.

I assume you know a bit about the concept of hd's needing to be formatted (their magnetic coating structured, in other words) in a certain manner in order to accept/store data. If you are not sure about this, certainly it could be expounded on in this thread.

Yes, I do know that. I googled my head off before we attempted the install. :-)

Anyhow, as I was saying, win98 can't be installed on a NTFS formatted hd, therefore the need for you to use the boot disk to delete the NTFS partitions and then reformat them as FAT32 format, which win98 will install to.

I mistakenly thought that Windows 98 would format the drive before installing.

Next time, I'm gonna make you install from the hd by using dos to create the c:windows/options/cabs folders on the c:drive and the copy the necessary files into cabs folder from the win98 cd :D:. Then you can install from the hd.

I would love to know how that is done. Can XP be done that way as well ?

Or just don't install any more win98, lol.

LOL!!!!

Thanks, Dale.

Vivienne

dale@fcg
03-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I would love to know how that is done. Can XP be done that way as well ?
I was just kidding ya, Viv. Although I'd gladly walk ya thru it. No, XP cannot be done that way and there is no benefit to that as it is not possible to to an overlay from the hd installation without losing existing data.

Vivienne
03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Dale:

I was just kidding ya, Viv.

Awww!!

No, XP cannot be done that way and there is no benefit to that as it is not possible to to an overlay from the hd installation without losing existing data.

Oh well! Next Win98 install, then. :-)

Vivienne