PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Open Source Alternatives to Proprietary Software

AL DOM
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
There are alternatives to commercial software. If you are disenchanted, for whatever reasons, with commercial software, consider these alternatives.

http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprietary-programs-that-drive-you-crazy-and-their-open-source-alternatives/

What are your opinions on some of these alternatives?

AL

Dan18960
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Al,

Commercial software and Proprietary software are not the same thing.

An Insurance company would have software designed to provide quotes, customer tracking information, coverage limits.

A machine shop maintains customer specs for grindings, flarings, and lengths of fittings.

A law firm needs to maintain court docket postings, client expenses, defendant and / or plaintiff information.

An auto repair shop needs to maintain inspections, auto models, customer contact information, parts warranties.

While "commercial" software is available for many of these functions - the time spent in tweaking such commercial software by USERS ends up being more costly than the cost and maintance fees charged for the proprietary counterparts.

PeteF
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprietary-programs-that-drive-you-crazy-and-their-open-source-alternatives/
What are your opinions on some of these alternatives?

OPEN OFFICE is a great alternative to MS Office.
I install it on many PCs when the person says they need MS Office but
is unwilling to pay the price that MS wants for the software. It reads
and save files in many different formats.

NVU is very similar to Frontpage 2000 for use in designing websites.
Some say it's buggy but I haven't had any problems with it.

THUNDERBIRD is a good alternative to OUTLOOK and many people do use it.

FILEZILLA is a great FTP utility for publishing websites.
Very reliable and easy to use.

Thanks for the list, Al, I see some interesting apps that I was not aware of.

---pete---

DSTM
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I downloaded Archimedes and couldn't get it to work correctly.It's not complete,as I can gather. Couldn't find full documentation,either.
There are some good alternatives there,but I picked a Croc.:eek: