PDA

View Full Version : Openoffice vs Microsoft Office

steveie85
06-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Openoffice vs Microsoft Office (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1164&tag=nl.e539)

Last week I asked for help understanding the circumstances under which one of these packages is distinctly preferable to the other. As of this June 8th this had drawn 142 comments from which I concluded that

1. People who preferred Microsoft Office to OpenOffice generally also did one or more of the following:

*argued for the Microsoft suite on the grounds that other peopleís use of it forced them to adopt it;

*argued itís use as a smart client in more complex applications; or,
argued without contradiction that the Access front end is much better than its competitor.

*People who wrote against Openoffice usually did so in demonstrable error - on the original mail merge issue, on performance, and on specific functions, most of which OO simply doesnít handle in the same way Microsoft Office does.

*People who preferred OpenOffice generally argued one of two positions:
itís free and good enough for me; or,

OpenOffice is better for most users because itís free, but itís reasonable to assume that a few users will want/need/demand Microsoft Office for functional or personal reasons.

I was against OpenOffice until I tried it. Now I love it and recomend it all the time.

Freehold Fred
06-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Good summary here, especially with regard to Base vs. Access.

But also in Excel, for anyone working with OO and delivering to the MS World, it is important to understand the basics of the default general vs. numeric formats in both worlds as they are different.

Yes, OO may be free, but the unless the OO user is willing to learn the end users Excel format and vice versa, he/she might as well buy MS Office and be done with it. I can't tell you how many times, OO users say to me 'just open it in Excel.' True, but except for the trivial SS, the Excel output very often is not same and needs tweaking. Sorry, OO is free, but my time to 'fix' the gotchas is not free. Explaining the latter to OO users is like "why should I pay 'you' if the program is free?" Huh? Like, man, what are they smoking?

Dan18960
06-14-2008, 06:09 PM
In the 20 or so installs of OO that I have done in the last several months I have had only TWO comments that were negative.

One user commented that she couldn't get the enter key to default to downward cell - the default of Excel and OO is to shift to the cell on the right, Excel does let you edit that function to shift down. This user also has issues with MS Office 2007 ribbons since only one user in their office (of course it is the OWNER) has Office 2007 and everyone else is on 2003 - so it is probably a situation of not using 07 enough to get comfortable with it.

The other user commented that she had editting issues - according to her she could just backspace a highlighted cell to change the formula entries. I personally have never seen that and have always used F2 in the highlighted cell to edit the entries.

Everyone else has had no problems adapting to OO after some exposure to it.

steveie85
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with you Dan. I have had very minor issues like what is the spreadsheet called and stuff like that. Now that is part of my tutorial before I let the computer leave and I also write down the basic editing functions and how to do them. I think with a little more exposure OpenOffice will be as big if not bigger then MS Office.

dbarrow
06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
‘Highly critical’ bug bites OpenOffice (http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1272)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1272

OpenOffice.org has shipped a fix for a “highly critical” vulnerability affecting versions 2.0 to 2.4 of its open-source desktop productivity suite. According to an advisory (http://secunia.com/advisories/30599/) from Secunia, the flaw could be exploited to launch code execution attacks with manipulated document files. ...

steveie85
06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
OpenOffice is just as suseptiable to attacks as MS Office is. They did fix it as soon as they found it, so that shows you that they care. I did update mine. I had version 2.4.0 and it updated to 2.4.1, so I am assuming that is the update for the flaw.

Freehold Fred
06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
The other user commented that she had editting issues - according to her she could just backspace a highlighted cell to change the formula entries. I personally have never seen that and have always used F2 in the highlighted cell to edit the entries.

Everyone else has had no problems adapting to OO after some exposure to it.

In Excel, the B/S 'erases' the cell and puts you into the edit mode. F2 goes directly to the edit mode, but does not erase the cell.

These are minor adaptations that a modest amount of exposure will resolve. And yes, the ribbon in 07 is a pain.

But again, except for the trivial, there are some more serious inconsistencies and limitations between the two platforms.

Tortanick
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
OO users say to me 'just open it in Excel.' True, but except for the trivial SS
I'd avoid saing that, normally I use OO's excellent export as PDF function or run off a dead tree copy. So far those options have been fine (but I rarely have to give anyone a copy of anything).

If you have frequent issues with OO docs I'd recommend grabbing a copy. It is free.

Freehold Fred
06-17-2008, 04:27 AM
I'd avoid saing that, normally I use OO's excellent export as PDF function or run off a dead tree copy. So far those options have been fine (but I rarely have to give anyone a copy of anything).

If you have frequent issues with OO docs I'd recommend grabbing a copy. It is free.

I don't have any issues with OO that I can't handle, but know others that do.