PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fox vs IE7 ?

Dee369
07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Since installing Fire Fox 3 it has crashed on me twice. I have never had IE7 crash (knock on wood) ...........................yet. I was wondering which browser is better,more safe and secure and overall better features? Can you explain why you would choose one over the other? Any and all feedback would be appreciated. And don't foget to vote in the poll. :)

Thank you.,
Dee

jcampi
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I guess for rock solid stability and overall performance I'd opt for Firefox Version 2.X. I think the FF password manager and interface is superior to IE (and this is from a guy with MS stock). I like the bookmarks better in FF. Firefox also seems to be quicker and leaner. I also like the features in the options setting of Firefox. FF also seems less prone to pop-ups and banner crap. I'm currently using Firefox 3, but it is fairly new and not as solid as the previous version of 2.X.

Anon B
07-02-2008, 04:08 AM
However, I use Firefox as my default browser, currently running version 2.0.0.15
I use IE7 as and when required

Goku
07-02-2008, 04:56 AM
I use Firefox DeeDee and like it very much except for the new icons they have provided. I used to have Internet Explorer but it crashed my whole computer with the browser and therefore I have abandoned it since then. By the way, as Anon said, it is a web browser and not an Operating System but its OK. No offense meant. :)

-- Goku

Dudeking
07-02-2008, 07:49 AM
I can't even beleive were having this discussion! The only web browser discussion i will be willing to participate in is Firefox vs Opera. But as for this one, Firefox is superior to Internet Explorer in so many was I can't fit them all into one post.

dbarrow
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
It's a matter of what you get accustomed to as they are very different. Switching from one to another can be most frustrating and annoying.
For many years, I had a liking of the Netscape browser over IE.
Like driving a car, you get used to a particular style and feel and are very uncomfortable when you switch.
There was a period when the Nutscrape (Mozilla based) browser lost ground to an improved IE and became old and outmoded.
Switching to IE was painful but necessary for a few years.
Along came FF, which was much improved over IE and again, switching and learning something different.
Several years of driving FF, I became used to it and no longer like the feel of IE.

The difficulty is, not all websites are functional or all features of the website compatible with FF. There are still many that simply won't work as intended on FF because the designers are too lazy to port over to FF optimization. When encountering one of these sites, you are forced to open it in IE.

I keep IE, in a wide open and not customized state, simply to access and use those sites where FF security otherwise won't let them function. The combined problem of web designers not making their sites work with FF and/or higher security levels in IE is one of the root causes of security breaches from web browsing. Users who don't know any better run IE without security as the only way to access many sites and have them work correctly, combined with the many open door security flaws in IE, and then wonder why they end up with an infected machine. Even with increased security features in IE, many users don't know or learn how to tweak it for better security.
FF, on the other hand, appears to default to higher security levels where you have to sometimes "dumb it down" for certain sites, but that can be done on an individual per-site basis.

Guest11
07-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I use Firefox pretty much exclusively but for some reason the RC version of 3.0 was rock solid and the full version is a mess so I went back to the 2.0 version and I much prefer everything about it. My only issue with the earlier version were Adobe flash issues which seem fixed in 2.014 and 5 so I'm sticking with it. I really love the add-on "Always Remember Password" and it won't function in 3.0 the same as many other add-ons I was used to as well.

Dudeking
07-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I hardly know any which don't work in firefox and aren't Microsoft controlled. But on the other hand I know hundreds which don't work in IE 6.

Terry Hanushek
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I use both IE and FF. I prefer IE for BBS like KH, primarily because of the ieSpell add-on which makes spell checking very easy. I use FF for general surfing because of the tab browsing and add ons like AdBlock.

Terry

Dee369
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I use both IE and FF. I prefer IE for BBS like KH, primarily because of the ieSpell add-on which makes spell checking very easy. I use FF for general surfing because of the tab browsing and add ons like AdBlock.

Terry

Terry that's exactly how i use the two. But when FF crashed on me last night i am considering going back to FF2.104 or 5. Like Rich said the Beta version of FF 3 was great but i have no idea what they did when they came out with the final release. :confused:

allheart55 (Cindy)
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Well , it looks as if I am the only vote as of now for only using IE7.:D
*hangs head in shame and skulks away* :eek:

Dee369
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Well , it looks as if I am the only vote as of now for only using IE7.:D
*hangs head in shame and skulks away* :eek:

Awwww Cindy lol :D If it makes you feel better I'm using IE7 today! :D

allheart55 (Cindy)
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Dee, I don't feel bad, no worries. :D ;)

I think Doug said it best....

Like driving a car, you get used to a particular style and feel and are very uncomfortable when you switch.

DSTM
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I use IE7 often,also.I am a creature of habit and hate changes.
If some Browser is doing the job,and you like it,and have all the security guards in place,doesn't make sense for me to change.I alternate between IE7 and Opera.Love 'em.:)

Guest11
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Terry

Terry,
The FF spellcheck appears right under any print whereas the IE you have to bring up every time you want to use it. And you prefer the spell check in IE that takes so much longer to use?

jcampi
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I use Firefox pretty much exclusively but for some reason the RC version of 3.0 was rock solid and the full version is a mess so I went back to the 2.0 version and I much prefer everything about it. My only issue with the earlier version were Adobe flash issues which seem fixed in 2.014 and 5 so I'm sticking with it. I really love the add-on "Always Remember Password" and it won't function in 3.0 the same as many other add-ons I was used to as well.

Rich, I have FF 3 on two computers right now and have no issue at all with it. I'm wondering if Version 3 might have some weird issue with the existing software configuration on your pc? Have you used Version 3 on more than 1 pc?

Guest11
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Rich, I have FF 3 on two computers right now and have no issue at all with it. I'm wondering if Version 3 might have some weird issue with the existing software configuration on your pc? Have you used Version 3 on more than 1 pc?

I had it on 2 pc's but I guess my main problem was password saving which was the worst I have seen with FF, the download folder which empties all screwy, closing the tabbed windows is annoying, I preferred the old message asking you if you wanted to close all tabs, and I missed so many add-ons including skins I just went back and it seems the one issue I had with 2.0 was some sites having Adobe flash problems, had gone away.

Terry Hanushek
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Rich

The FF spellcheck appears right under any print whereas the IE you have to bring up every time you want to use it. And you prefer the spell check in IE that takes so much longer to use?
I am aware of the built spell checker in FF but do not like its puny red underlining which is easy to miss. Personal preference.

Terry

Pi rules
07-03-2008, 12:48 AM
I like Firefox (version 3.0 and trunk--3.1a1pre now) for more reasons that I can list... I especially like that it is free source and I can download, tweak, and compile the newest source myself. More features, open source, more standards-compliant, more add-ons, bugzilla.mozilla.org for reporting bugs/enhancements, etc. One of the larger complaints about Firefox 2.0 was its memory usage, but Firefox devs have really made some improvements (http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/) in 3.

I should mention that I'm probably biased since I am programming for Mozilla Messaging (Thunderbird) through Google Summer of Code. ;)

Since installing Fire Fox 3 it has crashed on me twice.
If FF is crashing on a regular basis please let me know and I'll take a look at it and help you file a bug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/).

I preferred the old message asking you if you wanted to close all tabs
Do you mean when you close Firefox? If so, it asks if you want to save your open tabs and quit, Cancel, or Quit. You might have checked "Do not show this next time." Go to Tools | Options and in the Tabs tab check "Warn me when closing multiple tabs."

One more thing:
Firefox Download Day (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord) was a success and set new world record:
8,002,530 downloads in 24 hours. :clap2:

Guest11
07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Do you mean when you close Firefox? If so, it asks if you want to save your open tabs and quit, Cancel, or Quit. You might have checked "Do not show this next time." Go to Tools | Options and in the Tabs tab check "Warn me when closing multiple tabs."

I liked the old "clean" for Downloads screen and it was on the right where it belongs and the old message warning about closing all tabs had me used to clicking what is now "quit", because they changed the order...I preferred an actual warning because in most cases I did forget I had mautiple tabs up and had forgotten.

Dee369
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
If FF is crashing on a regular basis please let me know and I'll take a look at it and help you file a bug.

Thank you for the link to the FF bug issues. :)

steveie85
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I like IE7, and am liking IE8 so far. I didn't mind FF 2.x, but was not enthused by either the final release or the final RC of FF3. I can not stand the FF spell checker at all, for some odd reason it doesn't want to change the words for me. I like ieSpell, I can either click at the top of the post box on here or right click in the text area and click the ieSpell option. The password options in FF3 was good and easy to use, you had a few options like save now, forget it or do it later and the fact it was a bar across the top and not a pop up was nice. Overall the look of FF3 wasn't much, I say 3 out of 5 for it. I give FF2 and IE(both 7 & 8) 4 out of 5. While yes IE8 has some issues with posting comments on some websites(only one I noticed was a local news paper), it still is a good browser and will only be better then it is now. I might be persuaded back to FF3 in about 6 months or so when more add ons are available and it is more stable. For now I going to stick with IE and maybe give Avant and Opera another shot.