PDA

View Full Version : 800 Speed Firewire External Drive

Guest11
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Realizing I don't use external drives for much of anything I recently purchased a LaCie usb2.0, Firewire 400 and 800 300 gb external hard drive for about $75 new on eBay and I have been playing with it.

My primary backup image files have always been stored on an extra internal 320 gb Wd drive in all pc's, but I feel left out of this external drift to hard drives. Problem for me always has been the external drive is just not as stable as there have been issues since early XP where multiple external drives cause use of one to disable another and the only way to avoid that is using 1394 more commonly known as firewire.

What is exciting is I decided to do an image file this AM and watch it for a change and I didn't realize I have 47gb on this pc in use on C drive and the 800 speed firewire drive made an image file in 13 minutes. That is seriously impressive! And esata should be substantially faster and my Segate external can accomodate that, all I need is the external card as that one has esata, usb2.0 and 400 firewire. Anyone who hasn't tried this needs to check it out.

jcampi
07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Rich, what do you mean by an external esata card? Can you please explain? My WD external hard drive uses USB/Firewire/eSATA, but the internal Firewire card in my HP is more problamatic than just using the USB connection. I'd love to be able to use an eSATA connection with the WD external hard drive, but don't have any eSATA port on any desktop pc. I'd prefer to no open the HP Slimline PC to insert (add) any internal card so some type of external card setup would be great.

Guest11
07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Here John:
http://www.provantage.com/startech-pexesata2~7STR90H4.htm
This is pci-x 1 or 2 so if you want full pci then look elsewhere.

steveie85
07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow Rich, 13minutes thats really good. Do you have the specs on that drive you bought? Or even the model number? From lookin around, what I can see, you got a big time steal on that drive!! I use an external drive at home. That way I can hook it up to each computer and back it up, then keep it in one place. I usally take it to my shop and duplicate that back up so I have it at 2 seperate places, so I always have it.

Guest11
07-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Wow Rich, 13minutes thats really good. Do you have the specs on that drive you bought? Or even the model number? From lookin around, what I can see, you got a big time steal on that drive!! I use an external drive at home. That way I can hook it up to each computer and back it up, then keep it in one place. I usally take it to my shop and duplicate that back up so I have it at 2 seperate places, so I always have it.

I just realized it is used but you cannot tell by looking at it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250249562130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

The following items are included in this auction:

* 300 GB LaCie External Hard Drive (model number 300791U)
* FW 800 cable
* FW 400 cable
* USB 2.0 cable
* Mini DV cable
* power cord
* stand for drive

steveie85
07-12-2008, 12:43 AM
The pictures didn't show up on Ebay, but I did find some pictures of one. It does look nice, and the specs look great. I wonder if they make there own drives or if they use someone else. I would imagine they make there own, since a lot of there products are storage products.

Guest11
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
The pictures didn't show up on Ebay, but I did find some pictures of one. It does look nice, and the specs look great. I wonder if they make there own drives or if they use someone else. I would imagine they make there own, since a lot of there products are storage products.

I suspect they do make their own because they make a lot of external drives and have for a long time. I have a NAS drive also from them as well that I use to backup the Buffalo Linkstation drive I mention in my backup tutorial.

Dan18960
07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
You know I somehow managed to acquire (yea, yea, yea, I have sticky fingers sometimes) a cable that uses a SATA connection to connect the power and the SATA data port of a 3.5 hard drive.

I am wondering IF I could use that to connect to an external eSATA port? Have to give that a try.

Guest11
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
You know I somehow managed to acquire (yea, yea, yea, I have sticky fingers sometimes) a cable that uses a SATA connection to connect the power and the SATA data port of a 3.5 hard drive.

I am wondering IF I could use that to connect to an external eSATA port? Have to give that a try.

Oh Hell blow the $49 and get a pci card! I just realized I have one anyway that I bought for old bench machine I trashed when I built this Core 2 Duo for a bench machine.