PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 Quad Q9300

Guest11
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Well I had an eye opener today.

My Unit 2 pc with Penryn Intel E8400 C2D 3.0 ghz with Ga P35 Ds3L board, 4 gb Corsair Xms Ddr2 1066 memory, 80 gb Raptor hdd has been a nice addition to the team here using Windows Vista Ultimate with my normal host of programs but it got a face lift today.

A week ago I stumbled over a Q9300 Penryn Quad core 2.5 ghz for $120 + $5 freight on eBay where description said used for a few hours and it looks quite true as they shipped it with the original box and rather clean. In order to use the 8400 cpu in a client build I upgraded this pc and I cannot believe the difference. I have a 6600 C2D Quad on unit 1 that has always seemed a bit "perkier", and when I tested Cindy's 6600 Quad core in this pc it seemed to me it was quite a bit faster, but now after using this pc for over an hour I am seriously impressed. I mean all these cpus are so damn fast it is hard not to be impressed and difficult to compare. However when you run the unit for an hour shut down and swap cpus, you get a real good feel for the difference and this is the unit we built for Sam I never saw run right, as Dan had to finish it without me there. I can also feel the difference from the 6600 as well. Well as I have always said you get what you pay for!

Dan18960
09-21-2008, 09:35 AM
BUT Rich, would you have paid the $275+ for that processor when you made the intial build? ? ? ? Apparently not since you opted for the processor you did. Now that the pricing is "within reason" you have no problem making that "jump".

The "problem" is that "we" don't want to contribute immediately to the R&D costs when these processors are first introduced.

I think back to the days when I was using the RAMBUS systems -they were head over heels faster than any of the DDR systems I was FORCED to provide just because RAMBUS marketing didn't compete with the DDR manufacturers. Face it, your comments were that RAMBUS was TOO EXPENSIVE when you could get a computer built for actually HUNDREDS less because of the pricing difference.

That is why it took so long for me to replace my office systems - DDR just NEVER was comparable to the boxes even with the faster cpus. I mean my 1.7ghz P-4's with RAMBUS was putting the 3.0 ghz systems to shame. It wasn't until DDR2, 1066 FSB, and 3.x ghz processors were providing noticable in roads to where I actually saw the boxes out pacing my RAMBUS systems that I made the migration.

I hear this processor is REALLY WOW!

Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor

BUT the price is $1,550.00 the motherboard combo offer from New Egg is $2,130 JUST for the motherboard and processor - that doesn't include memory, video, hard drive, rom drive(s), operating system, applications,keyboard, mouse, monitor, or in your case sound card.

Mmmmm, kind of reminds me of the first IBM systems - you paid $2,500 for a 4.77 mhz system and added a monochrome monitor (remember those green and amber screens) and the floppy disk operating system.

Guest11
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
BUT Rich, would you have paid the $275+ for that processor when you made the intial build? ? ? ? Apparently not since you opted for the processor you did. Now that the pricing is "within reason" you have no problem making that "jump".

The "problem" is that "we" don't want to contribute immediately to the R&D costs when these processors are first introduced.

I think back to the days when I was using the RAMBUS systems -they were head over heels faster than any of the DDR systems I was FORCED to provide just because RAMBUS marketing didn't compete with the DDR manufacturers. Face it, your comments were that RAMBUS was TOO EXPENSIVE when you could get a computer built for actually HUNDREDS less because of the pricing difference.

That is why it took so long for me to replace my office systems - DDR just NEVER was comparable to the boxes even with the faster cpus. I mean my 1.7ghz P-4's with RAMBUS was putting the 3.0 ghz systems to shame. It wasn't until DDR2, 1066 FSB, and 3.x ghz processors were providing noticable in roads to where I actually saw the boxes out pacing my RAMBUS systems that I made the migration.

I hear this processor is REALLY WOW!

Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor

BUT the price is $1,550.00 the motherboard combo offer from New Egg is $2,130 JUST for the motherboard and processor - that doesn't include memory, video, hard drive, rom drive(s), operating system, applications,keyboard, mouse, monitor, or in your case sound card.

Mmmmm, kind of reminds me of the first IBM systems - you paid $2,500 for a 4.77 mhz system and added a monochrome monitor (remember those green and amber screens) and the floppy disk operating system.

Dan,
Actually at the time I wasn't really a big believer in Quad Core as I had one (6600) but did not really feel it was that different. I mean when I first built that it dazzled me but that was a year earlier and I guess I was used to it.

The Q9300 was $275 and still is as the price has yet to drop, but the E8400 I bought was $219 ( now $169) so not that different and I thought the 3.0 Ghz would mean more since I seldom do many tasks at once therefore I really believed I would see more out of the E8400 as the Q9300 is only 2.5 ghz. So as a shopper I thought it was better value but as a tech I was asleep. And remember I got lucky with a slightly used cpu and got it at half the price and had another use for the E8400 anyway or I would never have done it.

As for Rambus, there was no question it is so much more responsive but the price was just so prohibitive. You could buy 3 gb ddr for what 512 meg Rambus cost and I just believed I would be fine with 1 to 2 gb in those days for what I did. Remember I was on dialup as nothing else was available (that was a true house of pain), "using shotgun" modems ( 2-3 in tandem) and speed was almost irrelevant to me then. Then came satellite which was better but I spent more time optimizing startup, thinking about fsb of mobo and maximizing cpu which you could do then for $400-500. When we got Dsl here, that all changed and I would bet if I could get Fios or Comcrap, it would change again.

OMG but when you think about what we used to pay for systems and upgrades it was absurd, but actually that was part of what started me building my own systems anyway. My first Compaq 133 meg Pentium MMx with 16 meg ram and a Canon printer and Compaq monitor was $3200. Today I could build four awesome systems for that that would take anyone's breath away using the newest dell or HP desktop.
That printer was $298 and lasted 6 months before dying. I think the monitor is still running.