PDA

View Full Version : xp instructions... please translate

schnahz
12-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi All,
I used to wonder what a Hijack This log was all about. Now I guess I'll find out because I think I caught a virus. The problfem is that When I posted my problem in the malware forum I was instructed to do some things but the operations refered to Windows xp. Would someone translate what follows into Windows 98 second edition ? Thank you, Schnahz

Show All Files And Folders Windows XP

* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Apply to confirm.
* Click OK.

Dan18960
12-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately, the majority of us are no longer using Windows 98 (any version) to be able to translate from Windows 2000 or XP to the equivalent of Windows 98 comments.

What is being requested is that you reveal the system and hidden files / folders in Windows 98. Your version should have some similar selections to reveal those areas. You can start with double clicking on My Computer then going to the Menu selection for Tools and start mining down from there to see where Windows 98 enables or disables the hiding of the system files and folders.

mz30
12-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Here you go:

Windows 98
Reconfigure Windows 98 to show hidden files:
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the View menu and then click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Scroll down until you see the Show all files radio button and select it.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and close the My Computer window.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

schnahz
12-26-2008, 02:13 PM
thanks guys I'm on it.

qldit
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Good Morning schnahz, as a matter of interest, what antivirus program and what version of it are you using?

Some of these protection systems are drying up for W-98 these days.
This kind of makes it necessary to consider alternatives.

Dependent on what you are using that machine for, remember that there are a lot of alternative operating systems available for little or no cost that may offer substantial advantages over MS Windows systems.

So far as I understand there is really only AVG antivirus and only a couple of versions of it that still remain fully operable with W-98.

Also be advised that there is a non-official Service Pack that was produced for W-98 that is also a great help to improve it's operation.

Cheers, Lawrence.