03-24-2009, 02:34 PM
good afternoon
everyone:)

went into the bios and asked the computer to boot from the cd rom first,
and then i asked to put the changes into effect and then i exited the
bios, but when i boot the computer instead of booting to the memtest 86 cd
it boots to windows so my question is:

i would like to know if my memtest 86 cd which i downloaded is faulty, can i do
this by trying to boot to a linux cd. i do not have a boot cd maybe i should download one of them and try it?

thanks in advance. johl:cool:

TonyDi
03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
It sounds like the memtest boot CD is bad or the CD drive is bad.

Try booting with another 'bootable' CD to rule out the CD drive.

johlucmoha
03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your reply Kelly,
It does seem to be the memtest cd which i burned after downloading using dialup.Tonite i hope to go to the library and download memtest86 using their hispeed connection and save it to my thumbdrive and try again.:)

johl

Guest11
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Doesn't the memtest download to an iso that you have to convert to a bootable cd. That may be your problem. Here is a free program that simply does that for you. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html

Dan18960
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Rich,

I think Linux and Memtest both are downloaded as ISO files - and I am thinking that Joh has a point that his dialup connection may have corrupted part of the ISO image.

Joh,

A good point in attempting to use another cd to test the boot order - you could even use an operating system cd to see if you get the prompt to Press any key boot from the cd. . . . . Just don't touch the keyboard because the message being generated is confirmation that the cd drive is being accessed first as the booting device.

johlucmoha
03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
hi everyone,
thank you for responding.
we went to the library and using
their high speed connection we
downloaded the memtest86 and
save it to the thumbdrive and if that does not
work, we will buy the cd. i will let
you what happens. thanks guys.

johl.

Guest11
03-25-2009, 10:49 AM
hi everyone,
thank you for responding.
we went to the library and using
their high speed connection we
downloaded the memtest86 and
save it to the thumbdrive and if that does not
work, we will buy the cd. i will let
you what happens. thanks guys.

johl.

Yes but you must burn it to a bootable cd. The iso file you download will not boot by itself.

qldit
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Good Morning Gentlemen, actually the Memtest86 file I usually suggest as the best trouble-free one to get is........Memtest86-3.5.iso.zip, this is approximately 520 Kb in size.

It is a Zipped ISO file, it does require unzipping to allow the ISO file to be used to make a bootable CD.
It is the first file item on this page...........Memtest86~~~~Windows
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Probably the best free unzipping utility program is "Izarc", this is an excellent reliable program and also handles Rar compression if needed. This program installs to your machine.
http://www.izarc.org/

So after downloading your Memtest86 program, stick it in a folder on your desktop call it Memtest86 and then run Izarc, ensure you place the decompressed Memtest86 file back into that same folder.

Now you will have another folder inside your Memtest86 folder containing the Memtest86 ISO file.

As you would know an ISO file is quite different to an ordinary file, and is an image of a CD, (usually a bootable CD) now this can't be burned to a CD using an ordinary burning program, because it needs to be decompressed from the ISO format as it is modified for burning to the CD and allow bootability.

The best and most reliable simple free ISO burning tool is the "BurnCDCC" utility program that Rich mentioned. (very small stand-alone program from Vaiosoft)

Obtain the BurnCDCC file and place it in a folder on your desktop, doubleclick and place that program back in that same folder.
This will give a simple ICON in that folder (BurnCDCC.exe) this then needs to be double-clicked to initiate that program. (it does not install, it simply runs standalone)

When you open that program you will get a small simple window, select the appropriate burning drive, use "browse" to select your "Memtest86 iso file" in it's location and select the burn-speed slider button to the slowest speed. Full left!
You will understand more about this later.

Select "Read Verify", "Finalize" and "Auto Eject".

Hit the "Start" button, now be amazed that this program likes to do things the way it wants, "I bet you already had a CD blank in the machine", so now it will ask for a fresh CD etc and once you have placed one in, hit OK and it it will proceed with the burn! The exisiting CD you had already placed in the burner is OK to use, it just likes to do things in it's own order!! LOL!!

I have never had a bad result using this program and it's ability to use slower speed burns is really useful for critical item burns.

The read verify confirms the file is correctly burned and now you have a nice useful bootable CD, always make two of these, and give the other to an interested technical friend.

Cheers, Lawrence.

johlucmoha
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Good Morning, everyone

thank you gldit,

you have given very good instructions. i have something to do
this morining but as soon as i return i will start the process.

i cannot wait, to test it out. i'll get back to you and let you what
occurred.

you have been a great help to me
thank you.
johl:)

qldit
03-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Good Morning Joh, it is a pleasure, when you first become involved with these kinds of procedures it is a little bit overwhelming, but once you have achieved it, you realise how easy it all is.

I hate to say that in my first attempts to burn an ISO file I went through a full spindle and made 50 "frisbee" CD's!

There are also a lot of people reading this material you have initiated, that will read this stuff and now be able to try it themselves, where they may otherwise may not have tried.
So your post will have ongoing assistive effect for others that are in that same learning area.

Cheers, Lawrence.

johlucmoha
03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
good morning everyone!

memtest did not find any errors.
our plan is now to redownload Hdd regenerator
from a highspeed connection and try to run it again.

thanks for all your support!
johlucmoha.:cool:

Seth
03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
good morning everyone!

memtest did not find any errors.
our plan is now to redownload Hdd regenerator
from a highspeed connection and try to run it again.

thanks for all your support!
johlucmoha.:cool:

Memory testers are insufficient. The only right way to test the ram is to swap it out, or use one stick at a time.

I'm surprised no one has asked Joh if he went back into the bios to confirm the boot order, or even crazier, what's the problem?

Dan18960
03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Memory testers are insufficient. The only right way to test the ram is to swap it out, or use one stick at a time.

I'm surprised no one has asked Joh if he went back into the bios to confirm the boot order, or even crazier, what's the problem?

Seth,

That was the purpose of running Memtest - to see if the system would boot from an operating system configured CD. Memtest is a small download and burning the ISO only takes a few seconds.

Now we know he can boot from a cd - next is the HDD he wants to run.

Seth
03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Seth,

That was the purpose of running Memtest - to see if the system would boot from an operating system configured CD. Memtest is a small download and burning the ISO only takes a few seconds.

Now we know he can boot from a cd - next is the HDD he wants to run.

Thanks Dan.

When scrolling through the thread I missed Joh's last post.

Now Lawrence is going to give me grief (thanks buddy:D), but I suggest the use of HDR is akin to pouring in thicker oil to compensate for worn out piston rings.