PDA

View Full Version : General Protection Fault

BGBG
04-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Have Windows 98se.
What is a General Protection Fault that causes box to pop up and say IXPLORE must close. Today is happened repeatedly 5-6 times when I was trying to print web page on Epson Stylus Color 777.
The details said file involved was EPIJNL40.DRV which is an Epson driver file.

Is it any help to try and use the named file to try to track down and do something about problem? Is it the mentioned driver and maybe newer one needed, or is it IEXPLORE, or simply web page is blocking printing? It was a MapQuest map so not really secret stuff.

Please explain on file properties the meaning of
Created Date
Modified Date
Accessed Date

Have an idea but have never had an explanation from anyone else and would like verification of meaning.

sometimes another type of error called an "Unknown" or Unexpected" or "unexplained" error occurs and it must be closed, Ctrl+Alt+Del, or powered off.
Getting a lot of these things lately with different programs and on XP and newer computer as well.
What does one do about these things.

qldit
04-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Good Afternoon BGBG, well as far as I remember the file stamping stuff is exactly what it says..........

Created date is the date when the file was created.
Modified date is when any alteration was made to that file.
Accessed date is last accessed date.

If you have a file on your machine, right clicking it > properties should indicate that info.
Quite often the dates may be similar, this would reflect when that file was made or altered etc, and when you last looked at it.

With regard to odd events in W-98SE and W-XP I would suggest obtaining Memtest86, making a bootable CD with it and running it for several hours, this should "wring-out" your RAM and then allow that factor to be taken from the equation.

Next obtain and load "HDDRegenerator 1.61" trial version (makes a bootable CD) when it loads at boot, select "scan but do not repair" this will scan your hard drive completely and indicate if there is any failing sectors and give a really nice report at the finish.

So thus having considered these two items hopefully with no problems detected we then can consider what others might cause a problem.
This is a start anyway.

Cheers, Lawrence.

qldit
04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Good Morning BGBG, OK now we understand that our hard drive and RAM are good or if any problems existed they have been addressed, we can progress with trying to analyse what may be causing any problem.

Of course a good machine should always feel good to the touch and should not give erroneous behaviour, you will appreciate what I mean by this with experience. I always feel talking to machines gives a better rapport. LOL!

It is possible that some kind of malware may be involved, as you are aware even the best antimalware programs can be infiltrated, and it commonly happens where monitoring A/V systems running in memory are disabled.
The major A/V programs are targetted so the system integrity can be affected.

Recently, I feel the best avenue for inspecting for this kind of problem is using a bootable antivirus CD, where the running windows system is not used at all, that means that protected files in the machine are then able to be inspected by the A/V system, in fact the entire drive can be inspected properly.
This was suggested by a "peasant" on KH and it is a pretty decent idea!

To this end it seems that the best of these A/V programs is currently the Bitdefender Live CD, this is a bootable CD that loads an antivirus scanner running on a Linux system with the ability to scan the complete Windows system and all that drives files.

I have left a bit of info on how to do this at Post 24 on this thread,
http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16376&page=3

The free Bitdefender bootable CD ISO file is available here,
http://www.brothersoft.com/bitdefender-rescue-cd-221065.html
Use the standard method using the free BurnCDCC program to make your bootable CD from this downloaded file.
There are instructions on the Bitdefender CD but mine are a little different.

You will appreciate our intention with these exercises so far is examining the machine and it's systems progressively and eliminating possible causes of irregular operation.

The aim of this is to avoid little traps that happen, it is an excellent exercise for anyone to try and is also a valuable learning process.

More to come! LOL!!

Cheers, Lawrence.

qldit
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Good Morning BGBG, I think the first subject should be the W-98 SE problem, as you mention there are general protection fault indications & BSOD's, (the loverly Blue Screen Of Death) synonomous with all windows operating systems.

You also mention that you suspect this is being caused by printer software.

To begin with there are not many printers these days with parallell connectors, most are USB, in fact most are really designed for USB-2 operation.

You do not mention your printer configuration, but let's assume it is a USB connection, so before we begin we have a technology mis-match, even if you have a USB connection on the W-98 machine it is likely it is the older USB 1 on board system, which usually is sheer luck if it operates at all with more modern software.

This may be assisted by fitting a USB-2 PCI card with it's drivers so that at least part of the problem is addressed.

Now the W-98 SE operating system was not designed for these more modern software routine requirements, but I found that installing the "Unofficial W98 Service Pack" helped enormously, this is a set of Windows updates that assist a lot of these problems. (Google the quoted name for info.)

Edit, Another little trick with W-98 systems is to open a DOS window and type "scanreg /fix" without the quotes, this allows the registry to be rebuilt and often assists removing odd problems.

Other problems can often be caused by incorrect or missing motherboard driver installation, so this enters an area where you need to fully investigate what drivers were available specific for that operating system when the motherboard was purchased and which ones are needed.

Often there is special chipset software and although the Windows system may have loaded some generic kinds of drivers and software when it was installed and it may appear to be operating relatively well, these need to be replaced by the proper ones specific for that motherboard and that operating system to make it operate with proper flexibility.

Antivirus software for W-98 SE is a real problem as you will have found, in some of my own experiments I found that even using AVG antivirus presented problems, and there are some specific versions that need to be obtained to avoid them.

Other sofware loaded on your machine needs to be considered.
It quite often happens where you will be running software more specifically written for W-XP that just happens to run on W-98 but it is potent for problem causation, and that may not neccessarily be with that particular program because there may be some file sharing happening with others.

As you are aware a purposeful attitude to phase out W-98 and W-ME systems etc, by MS is very real, so expect no assistive help from that area, in fact expect opposition with software writers being induced not to help.

With these systems I generally have a perfectly clean drive, partition & format it with other software, then load the W-98, then load the motherboard drivers, then load the unnofficial service pack, next the A/V and other sofware.

I do feel that the onboard USB sockets on those earlier motherboards are potentially unreliable so it is up to the usage and applications as to which way to go there.

Sound drivers are another area to be careful, for instance an AC-97 sound driver specific for that motherboard type and manufacturer should be used, there are many AC-97 drivers but they are all different, it is a trap!

Printer drivers are a potential problem and should be left to the very last, even after the image has been taken.

Defrag several times and confirm smooth operation

If everything is operating perfectly, image the system so that you will not have to do this process again.

If proper attention is given from that point onward you should find things operate much more smoothly.

Remember that system has become a bit of a "Turkey Shoot" from the point of malware effect and there is very little assistance from the operating system originators or program writers.

If you get to the point where it becomes "too much" remember there are dozens of Linux Programs that will operate perfectly without problem on that machine, PC Linux Operating System 2009 is very similar to use but does require a little learning to master. (it is a free operating system complete with all it's programs and needs no malware protection at this time)

W-XP to follow.

Cheers, Lawrence.

Freehold Fred
04-14-2009, 02:36 AM
Have Windows 98se.
What is a General Protection Fault that causes box to pop up and say IXPLORE must close. Today is happened repeatedly 5-6 times when I was trying to print web page on Epson Stylus Color 777.
The details said file involved was EPIJNL40.DRV which is an Epson driver file.

Is it any help to try and use the named file to try to track down and do something about problem? Is it the mentioned driver and maybe newer one needed, or is it IEXPLORE, or simply web page is blocking printing? It was a MapQuest map so not really secret stuff.

I have read Lawrences suggestions, and while I am not dissuading you from giving any of them a try, I am recommending a less invasive approach. Hate to say it, but Win98se is not worth expending too much time and effort to save it from itself.

GPF is usually a memory related problem where your computer has either performed an illegal operation to a competing memory address or has even run out of 'available' physical and/or disk memory. How much free disk space do you have?

Every program you run, takes up memory. When programs stop running, they are 'supposed to' relinquish their memory allotment via Windows memory management. The combo of many programs of Win98 days simply not gracefully releasing their memory and Windows itself poorly managing the memory give rise to a GPF, if you are lucky and a complete freeze if unlucky.

Think of what happens when you print a map, a graphic, when you are on the Internet. First of all you have the Internet running, then you have or should have an antivirus program running. This in addition to all of the other programs running in the background. Now you print. The print driver doesn't spit out directly to the printer, but instead 'spools,' creates a temporary file on your computer. Since it is a graphic, you need some extra number crunching to translate graphic pixels into bits and bytes for your temporary spooler file, before the printer can even use it. All this takes memory.

Possible remedies:

1) In Internet Explorer, remove temporary internet files (cache)

2) In Windows Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup. This will remove and cleanup temp files

3) Remove unnecessary startup programs as these take up, you guess it, m-e-m-o-r-y: Start | Run | Msconfig (if memory serves me correctly, startup programs should be there somewhere). In Win98, you have to be careful what you disable from startup, unlike in a contemporary Operating System. See endnote plea below.

4) Your choice of antivirus may indirectly affect your win98 overall. Even though, you get an error that 'points' to the Epson 777 driver, the driver may NOT be the problem at all. But first reload the driver or update the driver, BUT you may also have to experiment with a different less resource intensive AV. What AV are you currently using?

If you want to get intensive and it is a big IF (IF it is worth it):
5) Physical memory - check the specs on your computer re: current memory and max memory allowed. There will a debate on this forum whether it is possible to run Win98se beyond a certain amount of memory, but Tom's Hardware has a tweak to run 1GB, assuming your system motherboard allows it: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/8399-48-win98se

Endnote plea: Forgive me if I am vague on some details, but do a web search or some gracious Archived 98 Knowledge Hoarder might chime in further.

qldit
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Good Evening BGBG, sorry for delay in getting back to you, reference your XP.....

"Getting a lot of these things lately with different programs and on XP and newer computer as well."
"What does one do about these things".

Well with XP I usually suggest using a similar process as mentioned for W-98, it saves surprises!
Have a look at your games in XP, most specifically the "Spider Solitaire" game, is the sound and the card dealing synchronised?

If it isn't synchronised I feel it is suggestive of a problem.

Rather than get indepth with invasive procedures I will pass you over to Freehold Fred, he obviously has much more experience dealing with these problems than I.

I usually do procedural hardware inspections and generally end up carefully reloading systems, drivers and selected software, activating the system, then imaging the perfectly operating system for posterity. (taped CD's inside the case cover in case they mess it up!)

Cheers, Lawrence.