PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the Road on Paltalk Chatroom

guest102
06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I know that many people were lulled to sleep or visibly upset by the domination of the Chatroom last night by a few people talking about one subject for the better part of 3 hours until Paltalk itslef went dark.....

We have always attracted larger audiences than most tech chatrooms on Paltalk because we don't make people raise their hands to talk and we don't limit the conversation but I think based on last night, it is time to change that and moderate those sessions.

What does everyone else think here? We need to know from those of you who were there, what you would have done differently.

GimboV
06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I must say that although I rarely use the mic in the Sunday night forum I like the open format. However, at times their are certain people who dominate the mic and seem to take a long time to move forward even when the rest of the room does. I would suggest a slight nudge to the people hogging the mic or staying on an old topic. This would still allow an open forum but would make the offenders aware. Just my two cents :)

compusimple
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
What bothered me most about last night is that those who dominated never allowed the current topic to finish. Seems to me a mod might want to take control of the voice topic and allow others and multiples to be in text windows.

my 2 cnts

elliott

TonyDi
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
if the conversation is going downhilll and boring, then someone should step in and stop it. On the other hand, if no one else has something to add .... what's the sense?
-td

Dee369
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
* Still snoring* :)

I stayed on as late as I could which was until about 11:30 or so. Despite being bored to death *sighs* I continued to listen as intently as possible just to support the room in general. I have been doing this for almost 3 years now. No matter what the topic of discussion was I would try to stay on as long as I could.

This has been an ongoing thing and became even worse last night. I'm not saying that the topic discussion should not have been what it was but the Admins lost control of the session up until the end when 2 new users came on and Cindy started helping them. I was booted out of Paltalk around that point...Just when it started to get interesting!

A new member Cookiegirl( :D) typed a long question in the text box that went unnoticed temporarily because Cindy was dealing with inappropriate language being used which she had put a stop to that by red dotting and explaining fully that our room was "G" Rated. I don't know if the behavior persisted because of Paltalk booting me off. :frown:

I believe that the issues should be discussed on the mic for a certain length of time by the Admins and Techies while others help in the Text box. Remember we are there for everyone to contribute.

Things just went 'round and 'round and 'round in a circle and as far as I know there was no solution made in the long winded discussion. It was repetative and almost to the point of "beating a dead Paltalk member" (joke) who would not stop talking about Sony Tech support. He wasn't seeking any solution, just kept complaining about Sony and his cell phone. I was like "Give it a rest already!" but noone could not get a word in edgewise.

Even posting Sony's Toll Free number in the text box twice went unnoticed do to mic hogging. Someone could have told him to take down the number and call on his landline and move onto the next problem. He clearly wasn't in the room for help. Just to vent...

We had quite a few new members in Paltalk last night if anyone noticed. I can only imagine what they thought when they sat and listened to the conversation that took place and went nowhere fast. :frown:

If I am out of place in what I have written I truly am sorry. It's just my take on things and how the night went. Even Lina couldn't get on the Mic for any length of time to discuss the %Temp% issue that she wanted to talk about and that clearly was 1 of the topics that were supposed to be discussed.

I'm not saying that it was entirely the Admins fault because it was far from that. If certain people would have respected the room by not Mic hogging then the night may have turned out better than it did.

We had a great night last week and I suppose that nights like last night are going to happen. They have in the past but not to this extreme. I think that a little red dotting should have taken place but who am I to tell you all what to do?

My 2 pennies...

guest102
06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I appreciate all your comments and no one is out of line here, I asked you all to be honest, it's what we need. We simply have to stop the mic hogging next week and for the furture and I really don't want to go to stiff rules like the other rooms do.

Dee369
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Rich I've gone into other rooms where they Red Dot you as soon as you enter. I don't think we have to go to that extreme either. I think that just a little bit of Mic control might do it. Thank you for not getting upset by my long post. :)

allheart55 (Cindy)
06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Thank you Dee, you stated almost everything I was planning on saying. :)

We had three different people last night that entered the room for help.

I only managed to help one of them because the room was in such

disarray. I had to red-dot three people, one of them was red-dotted twice

because I couldn't get the microphone. No one paid any attention to the

fact that I clearly stated I needed the microphone to assist someone with

with a problem. I will say that BeamMeUpScottie made an effort to give

up the mike several times but it didn't help because as soon as he released

the mike, someone else grabbed it. I was giving a member directions and

as soon as I paused to make sure she understood, I lost the mike. Instead

of assisting someone that needed to obtain missing drivers, I played babysitter.

I was the only admin left in the room and I even lost Dee who was invaluable in

helping to keep the situation under control. She was booted off paltalk and

couldn't get back on. With her gone the room became kindergarten without

a teacher. Thankfully I was able to finish helping Theresa because

at that very moment, mysteriously.....:eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Paltalk decided to crash on us at 12:04 am. :frown: (Because of the time we didn't reopen it.) :frown:

One man waited patiently and finally left without anyone saying anything to me...:mad2:

The room could no longer handle the thunderous audio from overuse of the microphone and it crashed...:cool:

mommalina
06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Cindy, I'm sorry I left a little early. Maybe I could have been supportive of
what you were trying to do.

I know I sound like a broken record (CD, today), but again, it would really help
if we all made an effort to use different color/size fonts ... that way there is less
chance someone asking for help or followup in the text box will be ignored. I
didn't ask everyone to check and try to cooperate on that, because last time I
mentioned it on the forum, one or more members thought it was "too
complicated" and unnecessary ... we should "keep it simple."

Before we put our hand up to use the mic, we should glance at the text box to
see if someone is trying to get our attention. If what we want to say is not
pressing, then when we do get a chance to talk, we should bring the adm's
attention to the text box request(s).

We need to make a concerted effort to be alert and considerate, especially of
new visitors.

My two cents. I hope I have not unintentionally offended anyone.

allheart55 (Cindy)
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Lina, I think you have made some excellent points.

Before we put our hand up to use the mic, we should glance at the text box to
see if someone is trying to get our attention. If what we want to say is not
pressing, then when we do get a chance to talk, we should bring the Adm's
attention to the text box request(s).

If we can all remember to make a habit out of doing this, no one should go unnoticed

and if someone does have a pressing issue or concern, they should be able to easily

access the microphone. It's too easy to forget about the text box especially if you are

involved elsewhere. :thumb:

It would really help
if we all made an effort to use different color/size fonts ... that way there is less
chance someone asking for help or followup in the text box will be ignored.

I know you have brought this up a few times and a lot of us are using different color text.

You are right, it is much easier to follow what is happening in the text box when using

differentcolors/fontsand it just takes a second to do it. I don't feel it's too much to ask

a regular member to do, it's such a simple thing and it makes a huge difference.

(Even Dan is doing it, he stole my pink font and won't give it back) I had it first! :mad:

We need to make a concerted effort to be alert and considerate, especially of
new visitors.

I agree, but it was very difficult to even see what was going on. The text box was

being used continuously and some of the font was huge. It didn't seem as if anyone

was talking to anyone else, it looked as if they were all talking to themselves about

different subjects. I actually missed a long question typed into the text box by someone

who needed help. Dee pointed it out to me. It had only been asked a few minutes before

but I had to scroll all the way up to find it. Now that is just ridiculous.:eek:

This isn't the first time we have had a little problem when trying to help someone without

audio using the chat box. It was being clogged up with chatter, joking comments, BRB's,

WB's and LOL's. The member I was helping was trying to weed through the mess to pick

out the responses that were for him. In the end it was too difficult to do and really, no

one should have to go through something like that when they are in need of help. :(

There isn't a problem with anyone using the text box to chat and be sociable but when

someone needs to be helped using the text box, other members should be a little bit

more considerate and refrain from using it unneccesarily until the person has been helped.

(I usually try to preface my response to someone I'm helping by using their Paltalk nickname.)

I would like to point out that using the text box isn't usually a problem, but when we have many

members and they are all using it at once, then it can be a problem for the person needing

help as well as the person that is offering help. Basically, it's just a matter of being considerate...

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, my viewpoints on Sunday night were different. I felt that things started out okay, but then somone came in asking for help on a gaming system, at which point, later on i felt this person was not really there for help but only there to debate about gaming consoles ect and testing my knoweledge on them. As soon as i demonstrated how silly his statements were he left. I was back and forth from one room to the next trying to help out somone that at first i thought really needed help and seeing as i have all gaming consoles i was willing to help. I did not get as strong as impression that there were members very displeased about the topic. In fact i pmed an admin stating to them that I hope the topic wasnt bothering them and which the reply was lol and that was it. I think the admins needed to be more forceful.

Dan18960
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Rich,

How long have we been doing the PalTalk gig? 4-5-6 years now? ?

This is the first time that I think we have had an issue with the topics going completely out of control. Maybe it was a fluke of the moon or the wierd weather events we have been having.

While some are calling for stricter Admin monitoring I think the reason we have been able to finally attract so many attendees is that we don't play the Nazi police and reign in everyone to OUR dictatorship.

Some evenings it has been slow and we will have a casual conversation night until there is a technical issue to discuss or assistance to be given for someone joining the room. These have worked well for us over the years.

I think expanding the Admin role to having to monitor each and every one in attendance is going to be the downfall of what has grown quite fruitfully since we moved to Sunday evenings.

OK - Rich wanted a SUGGESTION - some of us are regular attendees and I think what "we" need to do is pay attention to the text box more. IF "we" are having a conversation and we see a notation in the text box for a computer issue, we should acknowledge it and state that we will be addressing it after we conclude our current conversation IF that conversation is not of the casual nature (which should end at that point and address the computer issue).

Also, when someone gets "bullheaded" and only wants to rant or vent about something (I am referring to the afore mentioned Sony comments) that person needs to be red dotted, ACKNOWLEDGE their "concern" (all they want is to know someone has been listening to them usually), and announce that the subject matter is to be put to rest and we are going to move on. Any further discussion will result in the person leaving the room (either by red dotting restriction or bouncing them).

We need to not have one or two or three attendees dominate the room with their subject matter when it appears they are having a conversation between themselves and the rest of the room is in the Dee status of just being there to "support" the room with attendance.

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Firstly, there is a big differnce between Nazi style vs being upfront and honest. I personally went out of my way to try and help somone who obviously really did not need help. Secondly, if you are talking about me Dan, it would be less confusing if you stated my name. In all fainress you were not there to hear the whole thing because you choose to leave. I felt I did not dominate the converstion at all, I felt the individial so called seeking help about a console in which my opinion he should never have bought because he has no clue how to take care of one, was the one controlling the topic. At no such point, did one admin private message me to say anything, in fact, as I have stated before, I got a rely of lol, which of course noone would take seriously. Next time, somone comes in asking for help on a gaming console, I should leave it up to the non gamers in the room to just google it and rely on that. Other then that, I feel this whole thing is being way too dramatized. Let it go....This is now Tuesday.

Dan18960
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Scottie,

Chill out man! I was NOT pointing any fingers at anyone individual - and this situation of 2 or 3 people dominating the Paltalk room did not begin with you and it won't end with you. We have had occurrences in the past but after one or two visits by those who attempted to dominate the room they were gone OR they found that they could assist in a community way.

As for Nazi style monitoring - the Admins and Mods on this forum came from that type of environment and it is why we tend to have a VERY relaxed atmosphere.

The very reason for Paltalk is for us to be able to help users in a timely fashion where on KH it rests on our schedules to balance between work, sleep, family obligations, and other endeavors - so helping someone on Paltalk may take "longer" than might be comfortable for some, but it just has to take that time. But as you pointed out your attempts to assist was challenged by the user not even being familar with their hardware.

Heck, I had a call this morning where a new employee was having issues going to a webmail address to check his email. Knowing what he was attempting to do was very simple TO ME but a challenge to him. It was with a few questions that I found out he was on the Google page typing in the webmail address in the SEARCH location :smash:

Once I had him move to the ADDRESS line in the browser and enter the webmail url he was able to get to the login. Now your going to LOVE his closing line. . . . . . . . .

"I have been working with computers for TEN YEARS How does someone who has been working with computers for ten years not know to put a url address in the address line in a browser? ? ? ? ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:focus:

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I was just confused because the statment wasn't very speccific. To make matters worse this individial then for about an hour tried to convince 2 gamers in the room , myself and somone else that you can get a virus on a gaming console which is possible i guess but extreamly unlikley. This person went on for a long time about this.

guest102
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
It's our responsibility Scottie, not yours, we should have broken it up but truthfully we are so disinterested in gaming, that we probably just walked away doing other things without realizing what we should have done to stop that. That is the Admins responsibility. All I heard were the voices as I moved on to solve my soundcard issue.

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Actually Rich, some in there are not disintrested in gaming, Some actually have played a game before or have a family member that plays them a lot.

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Also, the topic really wan't about gaming, it was about fixing an issue that so happened to be on a gaming platorm. I know people are not disintresed in that. I want to be a lawyer, can you tell.

Compy-Geek
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
also the ps3 is not just a gaming systm but it is also a multimedia centre...heh heh