PDA

View Full Version : RE: Wireless Networking

RAK
03-25-2006, 11:34 PM
This is related to an archived discussion on securing your wireless network(Still can't access the old threads,though,unfortunately).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060325/tc_cmp/183702832

Illinois Man Fined For Piggybacking On Wi-Fi Service

By Antone Gonsalves
TechWeb.comFri Mar 24, 9:20 PM ET

In Illinois, riding piggyback on someone else's Wi-Fi could cost you some money.

David M. Kauchak, 32, pleaded guilty this week in Winnebago County to remotely accessing someone else's computer system without permission, the Rockford Register Star newspaper reported. A Winnebago County judge fined Kauchak $250 and sentenced him to one year of court supervision.

Kauchak has the dubious distinction of being the first person to face the charge in Winnebago County, and prosecutors say they're taking the crime seriously.

"We just want to get the word out that it is a crime. We are prosecuting it, and people need to take precautions," Assistant State's Attorney Tom Wartowski told the newspaper.

A police officer arrested Kauchak in January after spotting him sitting in a parked car with a computer. A chat with the suspect led to the arrest, Wartowski said.

Dan18960
03-26-2006, 07:30 AM
A police officer arrested Kauchak in January after spotting him sitting in a parked car with a computer. A chat with the suspect led to the arrest, Wartowski said.

Hmmm, did he forget he had the RIGHT to be SILENT:eek:

Freehold Fred
04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
I think I just swore off working on my last Wireless!

Main: XP, HP Desktop, Linksys 11 mbps
Laptop1: Windows 2000, IBM Thinkpad, AR5100X. No XP-like s/w wireless utility; only the Win2000 wireless service which I enabled.
Laptop2: XP, Intel Pro AND Sony Ericsson (54 mbps).

First problem: There are 5 active UNSECURE networks in the area.
I have assigned the linksys to 192.168.100.1 and have started assigning DHCP at 192.168.100.101. I have renamed the SSID and enabled WEP.

Laptop1: easily gets to the internet via one of the neighbors routers. I am unable to release the IP and renew on our network. A Westell Verizon DSL Router at x.x.1.1 grabs the protocol and won't let go. I have the laptop literally sitting directly in front of the router. If I rotate the laptop, it loses the other router, but still can't connect to the Linksys.

I've changed channels to no avail. I change Workgroups, no go.

I tried a dedicated IP, no go.

Is there a switch command with IPCONFIG that I am missing to force it to our network.

2nd problem: Laptop 2 connects to our network AND to a BELKIN router (not the same as above). I can ping from the Main to LT2, but cannot ping from the LT2 to the Main; thus, no LAN connectivity. How can I tell which adapter has priority? In other words, is it possible for the Belkin connection to foobar the IntelPro adapter's connection to my real LAN???

Q: When changing the SSID or the LAN Workgroup, is it necessary to reshare the resources on the main?

Q: Is it still possilby a firewall issue. I configured the Main computer's NIS to allow the IPs of the LAN to pass through, but only thing on LT2 is Windows FW and it looked like the LAN exceptions were allowed also. I skimmed the FW log and didn't see anything relevant.

A couple other observations:

1) LT boots with System Error 1202???

2) For one brief moment, I noticed a foreign DHCP client (I might have dropped down the security to see if that was the issue).

3) Lastly, the linksys router does NOT want to reset. I pressed the reset button and nothing happens. I can pull the plug, but no can return to defaults. Is the router bad???

BTW, as Dan would say, IT WORKED YESTERDAY (actually hasn't worked for 2-3 weeks before I re-arrived; when I first set it up back then, ALL worked well).

After 4 hours, I gave up ... for tonight and perhaps for ever.

Any ideas?

Fred

Freehold Fred
04-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Anyone with experience with powerline routers and adapters?

Dan18960
04-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Fred,

Have you gone in and set the the Network Places properites for the Wireless Local Area Network internet protocol (tcpip) ip addresses static with the ip address, subnet address, gateway address, AND dns address? If you set the dns address to look at the router as the primary - it should isolate out the other wifi interference from your laptops.

Also, resetting the router requires you press the reset button in while NOT plugged in to power for 30 seconds and while holding the reset button in plug in the power adapter.

Yep, got to love it when everyone in your neighborhood sets up a wifi network and lets it broadcast to the entire world.

Freehold Fred
04-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Dan,

Got a call today that network printer was not printing. We reset router to x.x.1.1. and not only did the printer resume working, but now LT 1 from a downstairs location connects to the LAN.

I tried a static IP with LT2 and it still doesn't connect to the LAN. I did not do the DNS as you prescribed; I am still at the ping and IP address level. This is a Win 2K machine and I read something about EAP authentication; does any of that apply?

Anyway I brought the laptop to my office 10 miles about. Fer sure, I will not be getting the neighbors WIFI, but ya never know... there is a wild linksys in my office complex!

Are certain WIFI routers more powerful or, as you we used to say in my ham radio days, jamming, or causing RF interference.

Fred,

Have you gone in and set the the Network Places properites for the Wireless Local Area Network internet protocol (tcpip) ip addresses static with the ip address, subnet address, gateway address, AND dns address? If you set the dns address to look at the router as the primary - it should isolate out the other wifi interference from your laptops.

Dan18960
04-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Now you know why I stay as far away from wifi as possible!

Yes, there are new power booster models - Linksys has one that will broadcast 4x the distance so now a single family can give internet access to their entire block.

What I think I would do is attach LT 2 to the router directly (wired). Set up the wifi to the SSID, WEP, DNS settings, and static IP / subnet on the wifi side while still using the cabled connection. Then see if you get connected via wifi and cabled.

You should be able to disconnect then from the neighbors broadcast (I think some wifi allow you to set up to ignore any broadcasts that are not wanted).

Also, changing the Linksys to a specific SSID and not allowing it to broadcast on the router would add to not broadcasting out to your neighbors.

A good thing about Linksys is they do have tech support that will stay with you til the problem is solved.

dale@fcg
04-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Fred,
After 3 years of mucho trial and error on several wifi setups with various os and h/w; I've come to the following basic approach:

Setup everything hardwired (I keep a few spare pc card nic's around for laptops) first, no dhcp (manual ip), and turn off all firewalls. Once setup this way, then one step at a time i make changes and tweaks, always being able to backtrack when a problem arises.

Guest11
04-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Personally I think it depends on the situation. I happen to have an office in my home and don't want wires running under carpets and through walls in my home.
I have used wireless now to link 3-4 pc's in my home and office, with initial help from our on expert Dan, and other than for cruddy firewall software from all but the one Symantec bought and killed (I think Symantec coudn't bear that Sygate was wonderful software when they have none and had to buy it and kill it to keep the secret), I have really had no problems. As Dan showed me, network ability is native to XP and the worst mistake you can make is use the Network Wizard in XP, because it screws everything up and makes almost no way to recover. Simply make firewall work with it or remove, and XP Firewall is never a problem, set workgroup names the same and a common user name, and a 3 year old can talk to 3-4 pc's
effortlessly and share files and/or internet connection.

dale@fcg
04-23-2006, 05:03 PM
It's easy, Rich, as long as you don't run into problems (what a brilliant statement that was- but how true). When IP addresses don't go the way you want, and pinging/releasing/etc. don't resolve anything it's time to start shaking your head.

But you are absolutely right about firewalls- they are death to networks. And many subscribe to your theory that when sitting behind a router with NAT and having good defense s/w (av, anti spyware, etc.) that no need for a firewall.

I use Sygate fw (perhaps prior to Symantec takeover as I installed it a while ago) on my personal laptop, and just turn it off if I need to get thru my network to the laptop. But mostly, the laptop is accessing the desktop because that's where the main resources (files/backup hd's) are located.

But for most 'clients', I explain to them the pros and cons of using a firewall- and to be honest- most poeple would rather not be hassled by the firewall.

I have my flame suit on, Doug

dbarrow
04-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Oh, yes Dale, I've had my share of networking problems due to the firewall. In every case, it was my own stupidity and forgetting to set something up right.

I should break down and assign static IP addresses, which I have been too lazy to do. If I reboot the router (or power down for T-Storm, etc.) DHCP dishes out the IPs by whichever machine connects first. As many of the port forwarding assignments and FTP depend on a static IP, I have to remember which machine to bring up in what order.

Yes, easiest way is to set everything up without the firewall and make sure they are all talking to each other first.
Then activate firewalls and list the IP range in the trusted zone.Forgetting to do that caused me headaches.

Current version of Zone Alarm does a pretty decent job of recognizing your IPs and adding your other machines to the trusted zone on a fresh install. It didn't used to do that.

The next "issue" is correctly setting up your shares and permissions. Any and all shares should be user/pw protected. If the user does not have Admin privledges, don't forget to include System in the approved users or things like network backups may not work.
"Permissions" is a tricky item where you can get into trouble but, you can restrict certain users to "read only" and limit their ability to see, modify or delete files.

Guest11
04-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Dale,
Sygate works great with network, just enable network for access anbd to be able to change all files and it's smooth sailing (for as long as it works)...

Freehold Fred
05-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Final Report:

What a difference a different PMCIA card makes! Replaced with a Belkin Wireless card, and away we go --- security and all. Had to laugh, though, the neighborhood had gone from 5 unsecured networks to 12 in just a week. We found solace and solitude on Channel 3.

I just kick myself trying to make unknown hardware do known tricks. Should have figured out it in 2 seconds: no CD, no Wireless utility, no zero config of XP (this was 2K Pro), no can do security.

Wireless ain't bad, if all the players cooperate. I just didn't ask the right questions from the get-go. Sometimes, ya let your guard down <grrrr>!

Guest11
05-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Yep wireless can be a bear, but actually as you say with the right hardware, it's a piece of cake!

Freehold Fred
05-31-2006, 03:47 AM
More travails! There are always travails, and if there isn't this thing we call a personal computer, we would still make our time wasting entrails into travails!

Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter
XP Workstation set up with Limited User Accounts

Limited Users CANNOT connect to Router using Netgear s/w.

Must use Windows wireless!

Final Report:

Wireless ain't bad, if all the players cooperate. I just didn't ask the right questions from the get-go. Sometimes, ya let your guard down <grrrr>!