PDA

View Full Version : Fasterfox - Firefox Extension

mommalina
04-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyone tried this? Scroll down for some user comments.

Fasterfox - Firefox Extension
Fasterfox 1.0.3, by Tony Gentilcore, released on January 16, 2006
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1269&application=firefox

Fasterfox preview - Fasterfox - Performance and Network Tweaks More Previews»
Quick Description

Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.

* Various locale updates and bugfixes
* Compatible with Firefox 1.5.0.1

Requires: Firefox: 1.0 - 1.5.0.*

Some user comments:

Love it!

by joluke4, April 03, 2006 5:49am

I just downloaded this and can see a difference already. I am only able to receive dial-up at my current residence and anything that speeds up the process is awesome because I normally only get a 28.8 connection. I look at mostly just the same sites when I do get online, so I really noticed how it sped up the process of looking at my regular sites. Oh and I love that it tells you how many seconds it took to load the page!!

#
Try it out!

by Allen, Friday, March 31 2006

Does wonders for my computer at first but slows down as time goes by and eventually become slower than the default!

Quite nice

by Chris, Thursday, March 30 2006

Works quite nice with the major of all websites a came across, as long as one don't switch to "turbo mode" as this leads to non-displayed images on certain site and similar stuff. Besides this, highly recommended!

This is amazing

by Fred Jenkins, Wednesday, March 29 2006

Anyone who is having problems with this plug-in is either on a slow computer, has too many programs running, or just needs to refresh. There is also the chance that they went into custom and configured it the wrong way instead of just going with the defaults.

Good, but has issues

by Sara Duphain, Wednesday, March 29 2006

While this program is good, it has a few snags that I hope you would mention to the less tech. inclined of the world. Many people donate understand that a prefetcher requires you to have a fast net connection then dial-up. I tested this on both broadband and Dial-up and found that while it works on both, the major increase comes with higher net speeds. You should also mention that many sites have disabled prefetch things because they do eat additional bandwidth. Some sites include furaffinity and many sites that have large numbers of images, but are on a fixed income or depend on donations. All in all, this is a good extension, but not functional to the full power in some minor cases

Lina