PDA

View Full Version : AMD FX-62 obsolete in a month!

Dan18960
06-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Zdnet report:

George Ou

So last Friday when I saw the first set of independent benchmark (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5692&page=3) results pitting a mid-end Intel E6600 "Conroe" 2.4 GHz CPU (due next month) against the just released flagship extreme edition AMD FX-62 CPU, I started wondering if AMD worst nightmare was coming true. Intel's ~$250 E6600 CPU annihilated AMD's ~$1000 Extreme Edition AM2 based FX-62! This effectively means that AMD's flagship desktop performance CPU will be obsolete by the end of next month when Intel released the CPUs codenamed Conroe. The 2.4 GHz Conroe E6600 CPU is a 65 watt part while Intel's Extreme Edition Conroe CPU will operate at 2.93 GHz and still be 40 watts lower than AMD's FX-62 which runs at 120 watt TPD. AMD's power advantage over Intel's current Pentium 4 NetBurst architecture just vanished in to thin air with the introduction of Intel's Core 2 architecture next month.

The article:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=240&tag=nl.e622

I think Doug will love this new cpu from Intel - the 2.4 can oc to 4.0
and the 2.9 oc's to 4.26 with just modest water cooling!

jcampi
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Boy, I always knew AMD's lead would be short-lived. Intel has so much more money for R&D it's not funny. Ine a way, I'm glad AMD did this to intel. This is great for the consumer. Better performance and good pricing. The article seems to demonstrate intel has learned their lesson and will not sit idle on the sidelines. I'm eager for the new intel chips. Bring it on!

Pi rules
06-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm sure AMD is working (frantically) on something to match it. This competition should hopefully bring out awesome CPUs quickly.

Should have waited for Conroe, to bad my old PC broke. :(

Dan18960
06-06-2006, 06:04 PM
If you were able to get the 975xbxlkr rev 304, you could have your cake and eat it too.

That mobo is Conroe ready and will do the Pentium D today.

jcampi
06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah! I'm just waiting for the new intel CPU.

athomsfere
06-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Heard alot about the Conroe not being up to snuff.

Heard it was great and all, but not the AMD killer its said to be, too many benchmarks are being cheated...

I'll leave it up to launch for the verdict, as thats when we'll really know.
BTW, AMD has been hiding their roadmap for a while now, Intel hasn't. There is a chance AMD has more ups its sleeve then we know. (That new SLI RAM anyone, plus all the companies AMD has been acquiring.)

jcampi
06-16-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know about you, athomsfere, but all of the specs I read about the new chips from intel demonstrate they are going to kick a_s! Just one example is the article at the PC Magazie site: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1976655,00.asp
You can't simply dismiss the test as unfair or fixed just because you like one chip over the other.

Smokey
06-17-2006, 08:30 AM
As athomsfere says. Just give it time to see what AMD is going to release to combat this.

jcampi
06-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I was once an AMD owner and sounded like you guys. I went from the 'dark side' and converted back to intel. My experience with AMD was enough for me to learn from so I'll stick with intel.

Guest11
06-17-2006, 09:41 AM
All I can say "from the darkside" is so what? I would need an eye transplant to see anything happen any faster then I currently can't follow now on my X2 Athlon 4800. I literally cannot follow many functions, that is how fast it is. How would I appreciate the difference of something faster if I already cannot even follow what I have. I think this "need for speed" is starting to get utterly ridiculous. A few years ago I was debating a basic question. "How fast do I need Word Perfect to open anyway"? I think I surpassed my capacity to see it open this year and I am not convinced spending another $1,000 to not see it open quicker, would fulfill or satisfy anything except newegg's coffers.
Darth Mentzel