PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Night PalTalk, 6/14/06

mommalina
06-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Photolady, we missed you! Hope you'll join us next week.

June Byrnes returned from Florida, curtailed baby-sitting, and will be able to join us on the KH forum and chatroom for the summer.

June, Rich M, rbob (Kern), Dan, Elliot, Rob Cohan, Al Dom, and I discussed:

* PRINT SERVER FOR LAPTOP AND DESKTOP - June needs help on this and got some suggestions.

* BURNING CDs - Although there are advantages to using the XP software for this, it does not provide format as an option. The guys explored ways to get around this.

* NETWORKING

June wants to connect her laptop and desktop through two different rooms. Verizon told her she needed a Westell 327 modem for her DSL, but the posse had other suggestions. Elliot suggested a network card and pinpointed where it goes in the computer.

The posse directed her to a networking thread on the KH forum, http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2657

* WIRELESS SIGNALS - Some humorous tales were told about using others' signals, and we discussed the difference between seeing them on line and using their signal.

*COMPUTER SHOW - Rich M and Adam attended, and it was a bomb! The reps knew less that they did, they were selling old stuff, and the AMD seminar was b-o-r-i-n-g.

* HIJACKED BROWSER - Al asked for help for a friend. Rootkit? (AV and spyware software don't catch rootkits.) Or maybe it's a corrupted host file?

* AL'S DINOSAUR COMPUTER

Every week we razz Al about his ancient relic with W98 (P2, 433 Mhz, 96 megs ram). Al just dreads the thought of transferring programs to a new computer. Solution: transfer them one at a time to see which will take. And some that can't be transferred hopefully may be replaced by web-based programs. If he waits, his computer may crash and he'd lose them all any way.

Al wondered about getting DSL for his computer. Did he have enough ram? The posse explored all possibilities to achieve this, but a new computer prevailed.

Al says if his computer dies, he'll use an abacus. I told him to be more primitive and use his ten fingers and ten toes. Rob Cohan, the jester, quipped, "I thought it was 12!"

SAUDI VISITOR - A Saudi gentleman wanted some help, but we could not understand him. He had a thick accent, he lacked proficiency in English and typing skills. (ok for all sorry i am living. bi.) We were gracious, and I don't think KH will be on any Saudi hit list.

Until next week, ciao,

Lina

Terry Hanushek
06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Last edited by mommalina : Today at 04:03 AM. :eek:

Wow

Terry

Pi rules
06-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Today at 03:03 AM.
What time zone are you in, mommalina?

P2, 433 Mhz, 96 megs ram
That's nothing. There's an Apple II GS in my house: 1 MHz. CPU, 256 kb RAM, 16 colors, dual external floppy drives... What a powerhouse! ;) I also got a Cyrix cx486!

mommalina
06-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Pi rules and Terry, because I kept getting involuntarily logged out, it was 4:03 AM (EST) before I was able to complete, edit, and submit the final message.

The involuntary logouts occurred:

* Upon my return when:

1. I went to cut-n-paste from my copy of our chatroom session.

2. I cut-n-pasted the message to Outlook Express so I could spell-check it.

* I clicked Preview Post and then tried to go back and edit something.

* I tried to insert a smilie from the extended list.

This happens with other posts, so I often copy the draft into an Outlook Express message for spell-check and safe-keeping.

Curiously, when I have to log in again, sometimes if I click the back button, it will take me to my last draft. Last night, it kept taking me back to earlier drafts. I kept losing some of the content as well as previous editing.

I was too stubborn to give up all that hard work, worried I'd forget what we talked about, and determined I'd post the edited version I wanted. So I stayed with it and slept in this morning. (Ah, the joys of retirement!)

Unless this involuntary logout stops, I'm going to have to compose all my posts in Outlook Express, transfer them and try to use the emphasis, quote, and color tools without losing the message.

And that's the end of the story....

Lina

mommalina
06-16-2006, 01:55 PM
I forgot to add another topic we discussed Wednesday night which may interest newbies and non-gurus and help curb the proliferation of email addresses in cyberspace.

PERMANENT RECORD OF BCC's

June wanted to use Undisclosed Recipients and hide multiple addressees. She wondered where she could find a permanent record of the bcc's. She uses MSN, so my instructions for Outlook Express were of no use to her. She resolved it later and emailed her directions.

MSN - Go to Sent folder. Select email from the list and open it. The email itself will list all the bcc names.

OUTLOOK EXPRESS - Go to Sent folder. Find the email you want in the To column. Do not open it. Right-click on the name of the addressee (Undisclosed Recipient or your chosen equivalent), click Properties, click Details. There you will find a list of all the bcc's you sent for that email.

TIP - When you add Undisclosed Recipients (or its equivalent) to your address book, precede it with a symbol. (You can use * , ~ , or any other symbol you prefer.) It will then be at the top of the list. You can click that first, then go down the column and select the desired bcc's for your message.

Lina

Dudeking
07-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I look forward to this wednesday to see what you get up to.