PDA

View Full Version : Password Managing Program

jcampi
06-18-2006, 10:45 AM
At work we have several programs that require a password logon. I sure wish I could use one password and logon to all of the programs. A Novell logon is in startup so this first password comes up on the pc before Windows opens. Then there is a logon password for our email (GroupWise). Are there any programs that would manage passwords that would log me on to each logon prompt automatically?

Dan18960
06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
NOT IN NOVELL!

Novell REQUIRES a keyboard entry (although NOT case sensitive) to access the LOGIN nlm (novell loadable module) script. This nlm has to validate the username, the password, the login time locks, the membership assigned, the rights / policies / profiles, and (if setup) Zenworks authentication. It then hands off the "acceptance" to the Console that verifies the applications authorized to validate the username, request secondary password (although GroupWise CAN be setup to authenticate on the Novell password), again the time login locks, and proxied users setup in YOUR group membership.

That is why it is not a slam dunk to crack novell vs Windows.

Now you want to compare security - Windows password crack 15 seconds. Just boot to a Linux disk and run the reset password script for Administrator.

Sam Ceccola
06-19-2006, 03:53 PM
At work we have several programs that require a password logon. I sure wish I could use one password and logon to all of the programs. A Novell logon is in startup so this first password comes up on the pc before Windows opens. Then there is a logon password for our email (GroupWise). Are there any programs that would manage passwords that would log me on to each logon prompt automatically?

John:

Here's a freebie that I use. It does quit a bit and has very good rating.
http://www.tranglos.com/free/oubliette.html

The person that wrote it, is no longer doing it. He also gives away the source code for it. If you want the source and it's not at the above site, let me know. I have it.

Sam

jcampi
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Sam, I tend to agree with Dan that for the most part password managing programs won't work for my case with Novell Logon in startup. Do you know something we don't?

Sam Ceccola
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Sam, I tend to agree with Dan that for the most part password managing programs won't work for my case with Novell Logon in startup. Do you know something we don't?
No, I don't think so. This little program is used primarily to store your account names, user-id, passwords, URLs, and notes. Every time I buy and register a new product, I put an entry in here. It did help me a lot during the build of this new system.