PDA

View Full Version : Printer sharing on a network

TonyDi
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Last week I was helping someone with their home network. They had 2 computers and a network printer connected to their router. Things were going well.

Then we had to add a computer in the next room via wireless. That went OK with a minor hitch, everytime the machine boots, the wireless connection isn't there so you have to go in and get it running again. This is something I'm going to look at tomorrow.

What I couldn't get working is printer sharing. We want to share the printer connected locally to the remote wireless machine. I set up a home workgroup using one of the wired machines, but I don't see it on the wireless machine.

Anyone here have experience in this department? I've set up shared printers before, but they were all on wired networks.

thanks
- tony d

Dan18960
06-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Tony, you don't state what type of printer you are trying to connect. A standard printer should not be a problem - BUT if it is one of the "all-in-one" fax, copier, scanner, printers, it can be a nightmare.

Remember those all in one's HAVE to communicate with the computer all the time. They use hard wire communications to "test" communications continually.

TonyDi
06-20-2006, 08:45 AM
The networked printer is a Brother laser printer. No problem installing that.

The one that I want to share from its locally connected machine is an HP ink jet. No multifunction.

Interesting you should brint up the fact that 'all-in-ones' are in contact with the computer constantly. I question that. I think they only need to contact when there's a request to print or scan. If I turn off the all-in-one connected to my machine, it doesn't complain.

-td