PDA

View Full Version : Want to Reactivate/Reinstall Firefox AdBlock

mommalina
06-21-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm having a senior moment again. Can't recall if I disabled or uninstalled Firefox AdBlock. For past week have been getting the kind of pop-ups AdBlock used to block.

I have Firefox l..5.0.4.

Please tell me how to reactivate AdBlock, or give me an url to install it.

Thanks.

Lina

TonyDi
06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Lina, don't know if this will help ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

mommalina
06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Lina, don't know if this will help ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

Thanks, Pete. That's what I was looking for.

Problem:

When I click on Install Now (77 KB) , at the top of the page an alert comes up, Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options... to enable it and try again.

Clicking Edit Options brings me to Options, Content. Next to Warn me when web sites try to install extensions or themes, I clicked Exceptions and already have addons.Mozilla allowed.

I can't get past this point. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Seems to me I ran across this Edit Options problem with something else recently.

Thanks.

Lina

TonyDi
06-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Anna,

Wish I knew more about this. Maybe one of these days I'll install it on my XP machine. This is a good reason to use a Mac. They just don't have these Internet issues.

rVidia
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Lina, skip down to EDIT: (it's underlined) before you try the below.

Sounds to me you just disabled it! :rolleyes: Try this, Lina:

Click Tools at the top, go down to Extensions. You'll see a window pop up which contains all of the extensions you're using. Scroll through the list and see if you can find AdBlock. If you do, right-click on AdBlock and look for "Enable"

If Enable is an option, click it, and that should solve the problem after you restart Firefox. If Enable is not an option but you see Disable instead, this only means AdBlock is already enabled. Hope this helps,

Ray

EDIT: Sorry, Lina. I believe I misunderstood your situation. To my knowledge, you'll need to go to about:config to solve this "Software installation is currently disabled" problem of yours. I'll attempt to walk you through it. Hopefully this will work:

In the address bar, type in about:config

Once you're at this location, you'll notice a Filter: bar has appeared (beneath any tabs you have open, generally; you can't miss it!). In this Filter box, type in "xpinstall.enabled" (without the quotes). All this will do will get rid of all the other junk except xpinstall.enabled, which is what we're looking for. Once you see that, look to the very right. You'll notice the Type is boolean, and to the right of this, the boolean value is set to either "true" or "false," and if it set to false, we've found the problem.

To fix this, simply double-click on xpinstall.enabled and you'll see the value change to true. All this is doing is making sure "xpinstall" is in fact enabled (we know it is by seeing the value is set to "true").

Once it is set to true, restart Firefox and try the procedure I mentioned (above this EDIT). If AdBlock is not installed (i.e. you don't see it listed in the extensions box), just go to the website Pete posted and re-install it. I'm hoping this will resolve the problem! Good luck.

mommalina
06-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks, rVidia. Will print out your instructions, and follow them in a few days--if my MS IE Stack Overflow problem has really gone away.

Lina

rVidia
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
You might have already printed it out, but I always save things like this in case I run into a similar problem, so I attached a .txt file that's clearer to read if you'd like to print that instead.

Regards!

mommalina
06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
You might have already printed it out, but I always save things like this in case I run into a similar problem, so I attached a .txt file that's clearer to read if you'd like to print that instead.

Many thanks! I printed it out and also put a copy into My Documents.

I am going to wait on this until I'm pretty sure it looks like MS IE Stack Overflow isn't coming back.

Lina

rVidia
06-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a plan ;) Hope all works out for you.

rVidia
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks, rVidia. Will print out your instructions, and follow them in a few days--if my MS IE Stack Overflow problem has really gone away.

Lina:

I checked up on your IE Stack Overflow thread - glad there's been no sign of it for you! Let me know if you were able to get AdBlock re-installed, not to be a pest. Just curious if it's working after "whatever" caused that alert :crazy:

Ray

mommalina
07-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Lina:

I checked up on your IE Stack Overflow thread - glad there's been no sign of it for you! Let me know if you were able to get AdBlock re-installed, not to be a pest. Just curious if it's working after "whatever" caused that alert :crazy:
Ray

Ray, I'm sorry I did not get back to you earlier. I've been busy, a lot going on. I even forgot today was Wednesday! (PalTalk tonight.)

I printed out your instructions for activating AdBlock, but I hate to admit I'm afraid to follow them lest I screw up the computer! I need a clear head when I attempt anything on the computer other than receive/send email, browse the internet for news, check the KH forum, or run utilities.

Maybe I'll try to activate AdBlock this weekend, after creating a new System Restore, just in case. I'll let you know. Promise. :)

A few days ago, I ran all av and spyware scans, created a System Restore, and did the Windows Updates. No further sign of IE Stack Overflow. I have no idea what caused it or stopped it.

BTW, because of spam and popup ads, I transferred newsletter subscriptions from my Lycos mailbox to my Yahoo mailbox. Yahoo has good spam control, and I don't get pop-up ads there either. So goodbye, Lycos.

Thanks for the follow-up. Will get back to you.

Lina

mommalina
10-25-2006, 02:58 PM
None of my extensions were working because software
installation was disabled. I followed new instructions
from Ray, listed here:

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4503

I was then able to install both Site Advisor and AdBlock.

Thanks again, Ray!:)