PDA

View Full Version : Autoruns 8.52

dbarrow
06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Autoruns/1092024321/1

Publisher's Description:

Autoruns shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. A "show non-Microsoft only" option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system. You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically.

Publisher: Sysinternals
License: Freeware

*another great free utility from Sysinternals !!!
Small, really shows a ton of stuff not visible by any other means.
Allows turning things off by unchecking them.

ADD THIS TO YOUR TOOL KIT!

Pi rules
06-30-2006, 06:53 PM
That tool is extremely useful! Thanks for the link.

dbarrow
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
More on using Autoruns:

Taking some time to fully explore the potential of this program.

It is truly amazing the amount of leftover crap that accumulates from programs no longer installed or used!

Many leave behind drivers, dlls, and executable files which remain attached to the registry in startup and are loaded despite the fact that the program is no longer there.

You may also find a ton of stuff loading for programs that are seldom used and there is no need to have any of that program load on startup.

Autoruns is a very handy tool to look for all this junk cluttering up your system and demanding memory or processing power.
The best part... you can turn them off and disable or delete them from this program.

After spending some time using the program, I found I did a lot of housecleaning with it and got rid of a whole list of these leftovers.
I can't think of another program that allows you to do this in such an easy and orderly fashion.
While JV16 is great for purging leftovers, it becomes a much more involved search and destroy mission. It also does not always get rid of some leftover associations where the program leaves behind drivers or other "tracks"
Autoruns appears to be a great solution for cleaning up after the fact and I would suggest using it along with JV16 when getting rid of unnecessary items.

Seth
01-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that Doug.

I've used Autoruns but not to a significant degree. I'll get the latest and add it to the arsenal.

mommalina
01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Is Autoruns not for the faint-at-heart who are not computer savvy? Should
we skip that like we skip messing with the Registry?

Lina

dbarrow
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Lina, maybe not for the average person...

It does give you a nice breakdown of what is loading from your startup section of the registry. There is an option to check off which hides all Microsoft entries that cuts down that list considerably.
You can then refresh and look at just non-MS items.
If you find some dll or other entry from a software no longer present or in use, you can uncheck (disable) or delete to be rid of it.
You may find components of other in-use programs that are loading drivers and dlls that you don't necessarily want loaded and running unless you start the program.
Eliminating all of this excess baggage leans up what gets loaded on boot and taking up memory.

It also gets rid of errors that show up in the event viewer where XX failed to load driver so and so, etc.
While these are of little consequence as Windows skips over them, there is a time loss as there are a number of retries and an error entry generated.

The other purpose of the program... to spot unknown and backdoor processes that could be malicious.
But, just as with Process Explorer, it is up to you to hunt down the entry and relate what it belongs to.

mommalina
01-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Doug wrote: Lina, maybe not for the average person...

Doug, thanks, but no thanks. I may not even have ascended to
"average" yet and will stay clear of Autoruns. .. :)

Lina

Terry Hanushek
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Sysinternals software is now downloaded from the M$ site?

Since Mark Russinovich joined M$, they have taken over the distribution of his software.

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4816&highlight=sysinternals

Terry

Rob-S
01-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Sysinternals software is now downloaded from the M$ site?

Since Mark Russinovich joined M$, they have taken over the distribution of his software.

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4816&highlight=sysinternals

Terry

Terry,
If I remember correctly, M$ bought Sysinternals

writeco
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I believe that the latest version is 8.53 or, at least, that is what I have in my folder.

dbarrow
01-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Autoruns 8.61
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Autoruns/1092024321/1
Released: January 22, 2007

dbarrow
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Ah... word of caution...
Make sure you have a full Acronis backup!
You sure can make a mess with this!