PDA

View Full Version : How to get LPT1 back?

TonyDi
06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi - I've just fdisk, format, load W98SE onto an older (of course) machine. One of the devices kept coming up with yellow !. It was SB16 Audio Device. I had the correct driver, problem was an interrupt conflick.

So I'm playing around with it and it gave me a list of devices I could disable to get this working properly. Thinking that the customer won't be printing with this computer, I disabled LPT1. Well that worked.

Question is, how do I get back to where I was? In other words, how do I get LPT1 back in and take out SB16 Audio?

thanks

Dan18960
07-01-2006, 08:14 AM
OK there MUST have been some reason for disabling LPT1 (parallel port) - but you don't state how you did it.

There are two ways of disabling the LPT / Serial-COM ports:

(1) Disabling in BIOS

(2) Disabling in Device Manager

In the BIOS you just have to enable and Windows will find new hardware and install the generic drivers for it (or the motherboard drivers if you installed them previously in the Windows/system(32) folder).

In Device Manager you should be able to righ click on the disabled device and re-enable.

Guest11
07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking it might be an irq issue, something we never see anymore since XP, and the easiest way to handle that is move the soundcard (unless of course it is onboard which could be here. Tougher way is to let bios configure hardware instead of OSW and hope it moves it or manually try to which calls for good luck!

TonyDi
07-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes - it was an interrupt conflict. The sound card needed an IRQ that wasn't available. Using Device manager, it listed the devices that could be disabled to free up an IRQ that the sound card needed. I chose LPT1 since I don't think it'll be needed. I haven't figured out how to get it back, in case I may need it in the future.
-td

RAK
07-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I had to do a similar thing back when I was practicing with old, discarded, computers from my former job. In my case, it was a Gateway P75 that never had a sound card. I wish I wrote these things down. I do think that I changed the IRQ in the bios to a port number that wasn't in use. I don't recall disabling anything. Took a couple of tries, I recall. If it's just changed in Device Manager, Dan should be right and you can just reverse the process. System File Checker may catch it, too. Man, seems like decades now since I moved to XP.

Rob-S
07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes - it was an interrupt conflict. The sound card needed an IRQ that wasn't available. Using Device manager, it listed the devices that could be disabled to free up an IRQ that the sound card needed. I chose LPT1 since I don't think it'll be needed. I haven't figured out how to get it back, in case I may need it in the future.
-td

as Rich mentions, go into CMOS Setup and select "NO" for PlugnPlay OS, which will prevent Windows from reassigning IRQ's for ISA/PCI slots.
You can re-enable devices in Device Manager by selecting the desired device, right click and select "properties", click "enable this device".