PDA

View Full Version : Wireless saw on peer to peer

dale@fcg
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
A cabinet making shop is installing a saw that has wireless capabilites, to be controlled by a software app on Windows XP PC. It is supposed to work just fine via a wirekess Linksys router controlled peer to peer network.

I have setup and maintained a wireless network in this shop, with Verizon DSL being the type of internet connection. They have asked me to 'sit in' on the installation and initial use of this machine, as the saw's reseller (who is providing the installation and walk through of it's operation) has asked that they have their 'computer guy' on hand in case they have any questions about the network.

My question for you guys:
What pitfalls, security flaws, settings, etc., should I be on the lookout for regarding non-pc wireless devices connecting to a network? Kinda like hooking up a washer/dryer to my network to let my know when the Argyle sox are done ;) . This is my first foray into non-pc wireless devices, and I want to go in with eyes open. :eek:

Dan18960
07-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Dale,

I would look at it as adding a printer to the network. The "saw" would act as a print command being given to start activating.

I WOULD make sure that the hardware was assigned a static ip address rather than acquiring one from the router. Going back to one of my previous posts - since "I" am looking at the saw as a "printer", it would be in the 50 - 99 ip assignment. That way it would not interfer with workstations, servers, routers, or waps.

dale@fcg
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
looking at the saw as a "printer", it would be in the 50 - 99 ip assignment.

Thanks, Dan. And for the last several years I've followed your plan of keeping certain devices within a certain range, in sequential increments.

dbarrow
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Hope it is anchored to a table in case XP has a snit....
Visions of a circular saw roaring around the room chasing the employees......

Dan18960
07-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Hope it is anchored to a table in case XP has a snit....
Visions of a circular saw roaring around the room chasing the employees......

:eek: :bolt: :help: :focus:

dale@fcg
07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
or the saw making cuts in millimeters instead of inches because the wrong language was installed.....

:hippie::sleep::second::rofl:

Spawn
07-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Hello dale@fcg

Your questions:
What pitfalls, security flaws, settings, etc., should I be on the lookout for regarding non-pc wireless devices connecting to a network?Pitfalls should consist of data conversion between encrypted devices.

Security flaws should concern outside manipulation of data transfers (data integrity). If your data is captured, and then corrupted, you will have a disaster for a network.
Besides that simple example: Other people may take advantage of this specific Internet connection via the RF being broadcasted and unsecured! A secure WLAN is becoming more essential to businesses, and a tech should learn how-to secure such networks. IMO of course, but security is the main issue of any network.
What are the conversions of the data?Are you positive the data being received by the saw is in the correct format?
My point, try running Javascript through a six axis Haus milling machine. It simply doesn’t interpret this language correctly! You must be positive the conversion completes in a manner that the device can understand, and that the data is correct.
This is a very deep discussion IMO. You have to understand machine programming language, as well as the security and conversion of the data sent across a wireless network. Damn… LMAO

Of all things, I must thank your for posing such a question! This type of conversation will deepen my comprehension of wireless networking and non-standard network equipment. Thank You!
I now have a premise for addressing such issues! LoL
On the other hand, I may be delusional concerning such maters, but I believe networking principles are applicable across vast configurations!
And for those wondering, YES I am drunk and on pain pills at this very moment. Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

Hope It Helps!!!

dale@fcg
07-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Spawn. Good stuff! I agree with the security issue on wireless networks. I'm interested in seeing what type of security features this machine has, although it's not a six axis Haus. (those things are amazing, at least in concept)

I don't understand machine programming language, so we'll see if that proves a handicap.

Glad you found the original question a good one- that's the way we use the forum to the max.

Last, but certainly not least, welcome!

Spawn
08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Hey Dale

It may not be absolutley necessary to know the machine programming language. I'm positive someone at the shop wrote it, and they can check if the node (saw) is receiving uncorrupted data.

To be more specific, you may run across a mathematic symbol that is being converted to an unrecognizable symbol through the transfer. That is something to keep on the lookout for... LoL

The tech who created the program should have the ability to check and edit the code directly on the node. However, after checking, I'd run a program or two through the network, and then run a few tests of course. Once you've learned that the code is being transferred correctly, they're up and running!

Anyway, just a few things to consider... I was waiting for you to post an update. I hope things are going well...

Vince

dale@fcg
08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Vince,
Thanks. Still in the waiting stages. Electrical transformer was blown on site of saw and that needs remedied. Also, they decided to run cat6 cable instead of going wireless. So that will eliminate some of the security concerns related to wireless.

Spawn
09-16-2006, 11:51 PM
What ever happened with this project???????????????????????

dale@fcg
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Vince,
Thanks for asking. The machine was installed and once operational, then we hard-wired it (see below about wireless) to Linksys router, assigned it an IP address, and it basically became another pc. Drawing files (created by an app on networked pc's) get dropped into a shared folder on the machine. The machine then can access the file, and carry out the proper cuts once the raw matereial (lumber, melamine boards, etc) is loaded and locked onto the machine's work surface.

The wireless idea was scrapped because the machine has only a rj-45 port for networking, and I wasn't sure how to convert that to wireless (I could only find usb wireless adapters). I do think I could have used one of those wireless gaming devices that Linksys sells to act as a gateway (if that's the right term) between the Linksys wireless router and the machine. But we just went ahead and ran the hard wire.

Spawn
11-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I wish we could have troubleshot more on the wireless side!!!

Dan18960
11-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Spawn,

Much of the manufacturing equipment requires a hardwire interface because of the data stream that is required to "service" the machine.

I think too many think of wifi as the be all in networking.

You (generic) have to remember that a data stream of data in tcpip is packet dependent - in the ipx days if a segment of a packet send was corrupted, lost, or not in order - just that segment was rebroadcast to the "receiver". But with tcpip the entire packet has to be resent.

If you are using a cad, mdb, or several other data manipulations - the wifi dependability is usually not the "correct" answer.

Case in point. About 6 months ago I setup a client (against ALL of my advice) with a wifi interface to service their front desk operation to several "networked" computers. While in the beginning when data was "manageable" in accessing the mdb files after 6 months the data had become so large that wifi started locking up both machines. Now before you say I should have done this or done that - the software application was proprietary to their business and a commercial product so there was no "tweaking" that could have been done.

I went in and ran an emergency cable, put in a workgroup switch, and rebooted the computers. Data was now easily accessed over the new wired LAN and they could again be in business.

Since John was working with a piece of machinery that apparently was requiring a huge amount of data to be streamed - this could only be handled in a wired environment effectively.