PDA

View Full Version : Java Icon Shows Up Near Clock, and More

mommalina
08-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Last month with Rich's urging and Terry's help I installed Java from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp

No java icon appeared near the clock; I did not notice java in run > msconfig > startup. Maybe it was there, however.

Today:

-Firefox automatically downloaded an update. I postponed startup.

- For some time, I was listening to KYW Radio from here http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp

- Then the WMP icon in the taskbar disappeared and was replaced by a long bar that I could not figure out. If I remember correctly, I hit one of the buttons, and KYW Radio stopped playing.

- I noticed a Java icon near the clock. Was not there earlier.

- I checked run > msconfig > startup, and java is there and checked.

- I closed everything and restarted.

- Firefox installed the update previously downloaded.

Current status: Java is in run > msconfig > startup, but the java icon near the clock has disappeared.

Questions:

1. Should java be in run > msconfig > startup? Should I uncheck it?

2. Why did java icon show up near the clock? Why did it disappear after startup?

3. Why was WMP replaced with the long bar?

4. Do I have a problem here? (Other than my endless curiosity?)

Thanks.

Lina

Terry Hanushek
08-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Lina

Questions:

1. Should java be in run > msconfig > startup? Should I uncheck it?
I believe that what you are seeing in your Startup is the Java Update Scheduler (jusched.exe). I believe this program's purpose is to check for Java updates

2. Why did java icon show up near the clock? Why did it disappear after startup?
The only time that I get the Java icon in the Systray is when Java is required for a program execution. Example: The Breakout game on RBL's web site. I'm not sure why it appeared in your Systray.

:noidea: :sorry:

4. Do I have a problem here? (Other than my endless curiosity?)
It does not appear so. BTW Endless curiosity is not a problem, it is a virtue.

I think your KYW link is incorrect - it looks surprising similar to the Java link. :)

Terry

mommalina
08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Terry wrote: I think your KYW link is incorrect - it looks surprising similar to the Java link.

Yup. I used the same link for both the Java and KYW reference. .... :doh:

The only time that I get the Java icon in the Systray is when Java is required for a program execution. Example: The Breakout game on RBL's web site. I'm not sure why it appeared in your Systray.

I don't know why it showed up either. .... :noidea: .... I'm all over the net looking for news and may have played a video from a news web site, or perhaps it was an email attachment.

Thanks, Terry. As always, logical, easy-to-understand explanations. You'd do well rewriting the IRS code, congressional legislation, or Bush's signing statements. .... :)

Lina

rVidia
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
The only time that I get the Java icon in the Systray is when Java is required for a program execution.

I believe the only other time the icon may appear in the system tray is when an update is available. Wasn't the latest update on Jul 31?

Did it happen to look like this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/images/subhome/9series/howto/WMP_taskbar_toolbar.bmp ???
"When you enable mini Player mode and then minimize the Player, the Player shrinks and docks on the Windows taskbar as a toolbar." If you right-click on the taskbar and select Toolbars, you can see if Windows Media Player is checked (which would enable "mini Player mode").

mommalina
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I believe the only other time the icon may appear in the system tray is when an update is available. Wasn't the latest update on Jul 31?

Ray, was that Update 7? That's what Add/Remove Programs shows for J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0.

When the icon showed up in the system tray, was I supposed to activate it in some way to let it update? Or did it do so automatically?

Did it happen to look like this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/images/subhome/9series/howto/WMP_taskbar_toolbar.bmp ???
"When you enable mini Player mode and then minimize the Player, the Player shrinks and docks on the Windows taskbar as a toolbar." If you right-click on the taskbar and select Toolbars, you can see if Windows Media Player is checked (which would enable "mini Player mode").

Which button would I click to turn it off? ..... or would I uncheck Windows Media Player (right-click taskbar, select Toolbars)?

Often I can't figure out the functions for each of the buttons on tool bars. They are much smaller than your illustration. Although everything on my desktop is magnified, most buttons are very tiny.

Thanks.

Lina

rVidia
08-03-2006, 09:03 PM
When the icon showed up in the system tray, was I supposed to activate it in some way to let it update? Or did it do so automatically?

It should update automatically. The icon appears in the systray just to notify you it is downloading an update, and you can check the status of the update by hovering your mouse over the icon.

Which button would I click to turn it off? ..... or would I uncheck Windows Media Player (right-click taskbar, select Toolbars)?

Correct; all you have to do to disable it is uncheck it.

Ray :smile:

mommalina
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Ray. :hail:

Lina

N3
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I eliminated "Java Scheduler" from "Winpatrol" before unchecking from "startup' in the "system configuration utility".