PDA

View Full Version : Where Do the Mouse & Keyboard Go?

mommalina
08-06-2006, 11:16 AM
From PC Mechanic Newsletter Aug 2006 08:28:19 -0000
Where Do the Mouse & Keyboard Go?

There have probably been many times where you've needed to disconnect your computer, then reconnect all the cables afterwards...without good lighting to see behind the tower or a flashlight nearby. Here's a useful tip for figuring out where the PS/2 keyboard and mouse plugs go. Most of the time, the mouse is green and the keyboard is blue, however, they can sometimes be hard to distinguish in the dark.

All you have to do is remember this: the keyboard PS/2 jack on the motherboard is always closest to the motherboard, while the mouse jack is furthest away. So, looking directly at the back of the case, the keyboard jack is always on the left, while the mouse jack is on the right.

Lina

Pi rules
08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
One easy way for me to remember is the fact that most AT motherboards (outdated, but they're still around) only had a keyboard connector (a larger type). The mouse was a later input device and was added on.

photolady
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Mine are purple and turquoise. :D But even some of my customers with good eyesight, need instructions on where they go, so I end up labeling them. Of course if the connectors are colored it helps.

Seth
08-08-2006, 01:24 AM
All you have to do is remember this: the keyboard PS/2 jack on the motherboard is always closest to the motherboard, while the mouse jack is furthest away. So, looking directly at the back of the case, the keyboard jack is always on the left, while the mouse jack is on the right.

Most don't even know what a motherboard is, let alone know what side of the case it's in. Others seem to have great difficulty with the left and right thing.

Most simple rule? Keyboard plug is the one closest to the edge of the case:) .

dbarrow
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
While "blind" insertion can be accomplished ... reaching around the back of the case and feeling for the connector...
it's always a good idea to look and line up the "slot".
Both connectors will have a "flat" spot on the plug which usually goes on the right side to help you line them up.
Fat fingered gorrillas putting too much pressure on the plugs and twisting them can easily bend pins and mangle plastic. Once you damage the end on the mobo, you are in deep trouble!
If it won't slip in easily, back off, you are lined up wrong.