PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Night Computer Help Desk Chatroom, 08/09/06

mommalina
08-10-2006, 03:56 AM
Our Wednesday Chatroom closed at 12:40 this morning. It was a long night. At 12:10 a.m., we were still tied for third place.

Sorry, this won't be an in-depth summary....I was sooo sleepy and disoriented I forgot to take notes from the text box before we closed the room. But here goes:

WHO WAS THERE

- KH members: Rob, Dan, Lina, Photolady, Ray, Rich, Fred Freehold

- Visitors who chimed in (I may have missed one or two of these): 1-2-8m, Kever_7, and Detective Linus (he just said hello).

DISCUSSED

- Rich and His New Dog

In one of yesterday's posts, Rich mentioned that he was housebound with an invalid dog, so we were concerned about both of them. When Rich finally joined us, we learned the dog had been castrated -- like Rob said, "Ouch!" Glad everyone is okay.

- New Computer for Rich's Daughter

(Ever hear of the shoemaker whose kids wore no shoes?) She went from a Mac to a Dell 2350! You know she did not ask him for advice before purchasing it! But Rich, like all good dads, was working on it.

- Dan's New Headset :music:

Usually Dan sounds like he's in a tunnel, and I have a difficult time understanding him. He sounds great now, like the gentleman and scholar that he is.

He directed us to the website for the new headset, $20-something. However, he got it free with a new motherboard -- or was it a harddrive?

- Vista

Rob suggested to Photolady that putting it on a separate harddrive was preferable.

- Adding Another Ram Module to An Old Computer

Ray and others had a long discussion on this....it was all in the text box which I deleted before taking notes. .... :sorry:

- ATI vs nVidia

This subject may someday approach the intensity of the antivirus scanner controversy.

Hmmmm.......is our rVidia related to nVidia?

- DVD (questions by Fred)

A scratch remover which actually fills in the grooves.

Did dirty DVD player damage the DVD?

Quality of play on computer better than DVD player.

- Photolady's New Machine

She's making headway.

- Speech Software

Need for mouse? Using keyboard for functions.

Robert the Blind Guy uses JAWS.

- Visitor 1-2-8

Wanted help with a "site with a virus."

Dan said, "No thanks." LOL

- Visitor Kever_7

She wanted: To make money on line, an ISP for free, to be her own dial-up....and a whole lot of other things.

After a lengthy discussion, Dan gave her the url for ISS and directed her to the Microsoft Knowledge Base. He gently informed her it would take up to $70,000 to do what she wanted to do.

Kudos again to Dan for his patience, courtesy, and vast knowledge! :hail:

BTW, Tortanick: Rob Cohan did not show up. So I couldn't ask him how the 10-year old he mentioned last week defeated the password.

Until next week .... :grouphug:

Lina

Tortanick
08-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Sounds like you had fun.

compusimple
08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Lina
Many thanks for summary. Sorry I couldn't be there last nite but I had a radio club directors meeting.

regards

Elliott

rVidia
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
- Adding Another Ram Module to An Old Computer
Ray and others had a long discussion on this....it was all in the text box which I deleted before taking notes. .... :sorry:
Quite alright, Lina!

My brother has a a Compaq Presario SR1020NX desktop PC (XP Home SP2) -- specifications here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=403789&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00066554). He plays many new games on his PC, including World of Warcraft, and he had asked me if I could upgrade his computer, for $100! :lol: I'm going to show him this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143059) video card. I know it's not the best card for gaming, but it's a big step up from integrated, and as Rob said, I wouldn't spend a lot of money upgrading his PC. His computer also seemed to need more RAM (http://kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2919), but for now I just set virtual memory to a system managed size. Think he would benefit by adding a second, this (http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=5192C1B9A5CA7304&WSMD=Presario+SR1020NX&WSPN=CT527535) module? Vid card and RAM adds up to around $100 ;) although I may just set up the video card for him. Thoughts? There's not much you can do with $100.

robcohan
08-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Re: - Rich and His New Dog

In one of yesterday's posts, Rich mentioned that he was housebound with an invalid dog, so we were concerned about both of them. When Rich finally joined us, we learned the dog had been castrated -- like Rob said, "Ouch!" Glad everyone is okay.

-does this have anything to do with the gift given by the native american fellow to Anthony Hopkins' character in the movie "The World's Fastest Indian?" (great movie by the way, on DVD)

- DVD (questions by Fred)

A scratch remover which actually fills in the grooves.

Did dirty DVD player damage the DVD?

Quality of play on computer better than DVD player.

- Toothpaste makes a great DVD cleaning and polishing compound, just be sure to rub it on radii and not tangentially. Rinse in cool water and dry along the radii also with a soft cloth.

A greasy or dirty DVD may somewhat obscure the pickup- a cleaning CD with a wet solution will take care of that as will isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip if you can get easy visible access to the pickup carriage in the drive in question.

- Speech Software

Need for mouse? Using keyboard for functions.

Robert the Blind Guy uses JAWS.

- I use "Textaloud MP3" from Nextup.com, along with the optional high fidelity AT&T voices. You can put the mouse in the drawer with this one.

BTW, Tortanick: Rob Cohan did not show up. So I couldn't ask him how the 10-year old he mentioned last week defeated the password.

Rob had a date and did not want her to have to compete with such an interesting group as is here, or there would be no further dates. I've tried to keep dates to other nights.

-The 10 year old bypassed the password by killing the process in Win98 task manager by hitting Control+Alt+Delete. So while my program is running, I trap that sequence before Windows can see it now.

mommalina
08-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Glad to finally see you here, Rob! You don't need an official bells-and-whistles welcome telling you what we're all about--we're old news to you. You joined our old BBS on August 21, 2005, and you've participated in our Wednesday night chatroom. Ain't nuttin' we can tell ya!

Rob, I found the web site you listed in your Member Profile http://www.productivitymultipliers.com/ and "Edison with a Keyboard" fascinating. I really admire true efficiency experts. "Busy work" used to drive me up the wall during my working years.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, especially about the 10-year old computer hacker!

Hope you can join us Wednesday night.

Lina