PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Proxy server?

mikehende
08-10-2006, 08:29 AM
At homw, we have 4 pc's connected to our Linksys Router with my wife's pc being the Host pc, I asked her last night if she is using a Proxy Server and she said she never knew how or why to use it. According to what I read about Proxy Server in MM's book yesterday, our setup should have been the ideal situation for that.

What I'd like to know guys, is should we use proxy server or not and why please? Thanks.

Tortanick
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
My own knowladge of proxy servers are limited but as far as I know there are only two types of proxys commonly used for home.

Cacheing and filters.

The first means that when client A gets google form the net, a local copy is saved, then when the client B requests google it only needs to be transmitted accross the LAN rather than the net.

Filters are self explanitory.

My own recomendation is don't bother. With hundreds of clients you can get large benfits from a cacheing proxy, but with 4 computers, no point. And I assume you wernt talking about filters.

If you do want a proxy server look at IPcop, its a proxy/router/firewall that you can install on an old compter. By default its just a cacheing proxy, but with the advanced proxy and urlfilter addons you can filter as well. And the copfilter addon will allow real time scanning for viruses and spam.

mikehende
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Since we have the firewall activated on the router and since Prox Servers will slow don things a little then I would think that we are better off without it? Would you agree?

TonyDi
08-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Some institutions require you to use a proxy server. You put the proxy server info into your browser settings. Essentially, you point your browser to the institution, i.e. www.villanova.edu. Once you're there, the institution thinks your are connected to their LAN and you now have access to various servers.

Well, that's what I had to do with the neighbor up the street so he could get into his Villanova servers. He was on AOL so I set up IE with the proxy server to allow access to Villanova, and didn't touch his AOL browser.

-td

Tortanick
08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think it will slow things down at all, but unless you want filtering or real time virus or spam scanning I wouldn't bother

guest102
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Proxy Server speeds things up because it saves and reuses website
locations and info....

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/proxy_server.html

Dan18960
08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Proxy Server speeds things up because it saves and reuses website
locations and info....

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/proxy_server.html

Only in the caching mode Rich. If you have it set for filters it takes the place of parental control software on all the machines (of course any 8 year old can simply disable the proxy and get where they want :eek: ).

guest102
08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Only in the caching mode Rich. If you have it set for filters it takes the place of parental control software on all the machines (of course any 8 year old can simply disable the proxy and get where they want :eek: ).
Right Dan...but that is where you see it used mostly.