PDA

View Full Version : Network has no or limited connectivity

Pi rules
09-18-2006, 12:01 AM
A relative has a problem with their wireless router (sorry, I forgot to ask model # :frown:) where it says that there is no or limited connectivity. Connecting it directly in with an ethernet cable removes the connection. It could just access the internet yesterday, and she doesn't think that she did anything except install a printer (local) recently. Another computer on the same network still works.

It also doesn't work in Safe Mode with Networking.

So, I had her try to run the Repair, which didn't work (I never saw a case where it did), then the Home Network Setup Wizard, which also didn't work. Typing netsh winsock reset catalog in cmd.exe didn't work either. So, I'm having her download and install the drivers (Realtek rtl8180), then restart, then install KB884020 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=17d997d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en), then restart, then if nothing else works, run Winsock XP Fix.

Repairing networks (especially when I'm not there) isn't my strongest area, so did I miss anything obvious to do? Or, does anyone have any other ideas?

It has been infected with malware in the past, but I removed it and helped immunize it, but it could possibly have more. System Restore is off for some reason, I'll have to make sure it gets turned on.

Seth
09-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Pi,

The most important factor is if the system can release and renew an IP. If it can, then chances are you can rule out the hardware.

Limited or no connectivity usually indicates the default ip of 169.xxx. Meaning the system could not obtain an IP. I would to this:

1) Unplug the router's power for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
2) Restart the computer, then disable and enable the wireless network.

Also, I dont know what you meant by this:

"Connecting it directly in with an ethernet cable removes the connection".

Pi rules
09-18-2006, 09:07 AM
When she connects it to the router with an ethernet cable, no connection is detected.

Thanks, I'll have her try that tonight when I get back from school. :)

Seth
09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
When she connects it to the router with an ethernet cable, no connection is detected.

That would be very unusual unless the wired network card is disabled or has no drivers installed. Or, the cable is bad...which is also very unlikely.

Might also be a good idea to check her signal strength.

TonyDi
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Also check the Device Manager and make use the hardwired network card and wireless network card are properly installed. Go to My Computer, right click, go to Properties and select Device Manager. There should be no red or yellow exclamation marks.
- tony

Pi rules
09-18-2006, 06:56 PM
A simple router reset made it work on her computer, thanks, Seth!

It's hard to do this over the phone when I'm used to doing it there were I see things for myself or over the internet in forums such as these.

That would be very unusual unless the wired network card is disabled or has no drivers installed. Or, the cable is bad...which is also very unlikely.
That's what I was thinking, but I've seen that notebook on a wired network working well myself. Maybe the router disabled the wired ports?

Also check the Device Manager and make use the hardwired network card and wireless network card are properly installed.
I asked her to do that and everything seemed fine from her description. I still asked her to install the newest drivers.

Thanks guys! :wave:

Seth
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
You're welcome Pi.

Sometimes just resetting the router isn't enough. In those cases, reset the modem, wait for it to go online, reset the router, then restart the computer.

A shortcut to the last step is to disable then enable the wireless network. Failing that, restart the computer.

Pi rules
09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
OK, thanks, I'll remember that for next time. :)