PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet/USB Crossover cable Tutorial

mikehende
10-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I wish to create a tried and tested tutorial here for transferring files between 2 pc's using a Crossover Cable, my experiment did not work so if anyone has crossover cable it would be great if you could post the step by instructions here please for all to benefit?

We do know so far how to identify a crossover [Ethernet] cable both from this posted by Elliot

hold both connectors in the same position if it is a straight thru cable wires will be in the same order on each connector.

and this from BlackMirror

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

or this one may be best here

http://www.tomax7.com/aplus/APlusCD/Crossover%20vs%20Patch.doc

or this

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

mikehende
10-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I tried this set of instructions, came close but could not get it to work on my end:

firstly you'll need to make sure that you have a Crossover cable and not a straight through cable.

to check which cable you have, check the connectors at both ends, the straight through cable will have all 8 wires in same sequence at both ends, and the crossover cable will have 1 interchanged with 3 and 2 interchanged with 6 on one end.

after resolving the crossover cable issue, connect the cable to both PC's ethernet socket. and start up windows. in both PCs go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > "Ur Network Card's Properties", and then double click 'TCP/IP settings', then in the addresses field, type 192.168.1.xx (xx can be any number from 1 to 254, both PCs must have different xx numbers), enter the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, and then click OK/FINISH/CLOSE/whatever the window has, and then go to the properties of 'My Computer' and in one the tabs you'll see your computer's Group name, type in your group name (can be anything, i.e. homeLAN, myLAN, WORKGROUP, MSHOME) and make sure the other PC has the same group name.

then open My Network places and click Show Computers in my Work Group. at this point (after waiting for a few seconds) you should see the computer name of your PC and the other PC which you configured.

make shared folders on both PCs, and you'll be able to see those shared folders in the my network places > 'that pcs name'

any file in that shared folder will be accessable to the other PC. in order to make shared folder's writable, you'll have to write the 'write access' check box when sharing a folder (from folder's properties)

dbarrow
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
A couple other missed steps:
Start/Control Panel/Folder Settings/View tab, check box for Simple File sharing , otherwise, on NTFS you will need a common user on both machines to enable PERMISSIONS and be able to read/write to move files. You may have to edit those permissions in SHARING and SECURITY tab of the shared folder to ensure that read and write are both enabled.

Firewall: if using a third party firewall, enter the IPs of each computer in the Trusted Zone or whatever they call it so they can see and talk to each other. otherwise they may be blocked.
Or, since this is strictly computer to computer, disable the firewall.

mikehende
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Wait a minute, am I mistaken here or was this done by simply connecting just 2 towers together? From the article it looks like I will need to have 2 pc's with monitor, keyboard and mouse for each. What I can remember doing years ago was simply to connect one tower to another pc so the main pc would be able to copy files from the tower, am I mistaken or is this how it's done?

fleamailman
10-12-2006, 10:58 PM
reading this with glee, don't forget to post finished work here then, I diffinately want a copy.

TonyDi
10-13-2006, 12:17 AM
You're going to need the whole set up complete with monitor and keyboard for each machine. Mouse is optional on Windows machines. You need to bring up both machines and configure them for network access. After that you can probably ditch the monitor on one of the machines if you really want to. But now that machine is acting as a server. No one can work on it in isolation of the others.

Also - I don't think Windows will boot without a keyboard. Maybe newer versions will.

compusimple
10-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Mike- You can buy a KVM switch which will allow you to use one monitor , one keyboard, and one mouse on multiple machines. The one I use is 4-port
Lin-x-cel

elliott

mikehende
10-13-2006, 08:15 AM
wow, thanks Elliot!! That's what I needed all this time as our 4 pc's are located in different rooms so it's real pain when working on anyone's pc to keep moving a monitor and keyboard to and from all the time, will definitely look into it!

mikehende
10-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok, I will be getting a 4 port kvm switch so I'll put this experiment on hold until I receive it next week sometime.

dbarrow
10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Mike, 4 machines in the house? Don't you already have them networked?

mikehende
10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah but the kvm will come in very handy whenever I'm working on other people's pc's which I seem to be getting a lot of recently.

dbarrow
10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
http://boxgods.com/dept/modding/index.php?Action=Article&ID=188

Sounds like it may be time for you to build a "test bench" to make life easier.

mikehende
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
You've just opened up a whole new can of worms here Doug, I did a search here and did not see any thread on bench testing so I will create a new thread for this just to keep things uniformed so to speak, please respond to that other thread.

compusimple
10-14-2006, 09:48 AM
mike- I wasn't aware that the machines were in different rooms. My KVM switch only has 3 ft cables.

elliott

mikehende
10-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Doesn't matter Elliot, whenever I am working on friend's/relatives pc's which is happening very often lately, I have to connect and disconnect my main pc regularly to use the keboard e.t.c, with the kvm, I'll have my main pc hooked up to it and connect any others to it, this is exactly what I need. Maybe you can take a look at the other thread I created on Bench testing and tell me if the rackmount version does the same thing as your kvm?

compusimple
10-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Missed the other thread.\ With mine you hit scrool lock twice and then the number of the port you want to use and it switches. Be careful if you get an older pc that doesn't have ps-2 keyboard and mouse connections. I have used keyboard adapters but not been very successful with ps-2 to serial adapters

elliott