PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Scan disk restarting

TonyDi
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I just formatted and installed W98SE on a computer. I booted in Safe Mode and ran Scan Disk. It notified me that it restarted 10 times because something else was running. Task Manager shows only Explorer running. What can be causing this?
- tony

dbarrow
10-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Win98...
That was a common problem.
Try a defrag first.
The only thing I recall that used to fix that problem in 98 and ME was Norton Disk Doctor off the Norton 2000 Utilities CD.

Seth
10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Run it in Safe Mode and turn the screensaver off.

TonyDi
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I did run in Safe Mode. The screen saver is set to NONE.
It's my understanding that the screen saver doesn't kick in while in Safe Mode, but I'm always learning.

I did the defrag and still Scan Disk restarts. What a pain. Must not be meant to be.

- tony

Seth
10-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Clear msconfig's startup, then run it in safe Mode.

TonyDi
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Makes no sense - startup items don't run in Safe Mode.
- tony

Seth
10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Regarding the screensaver and msconfig/safe mode: It only takes a few seconds to do and I like to cover all the bases.

How about running scandisk from a 98 boot floppy?

Guest110
10-05-2006, 12:21 AM
found this snippet

If you do still get the message about scan disk having restarted more than 10 times, choose "No" when asked if you want to see this message again.

Although it says it's re-started, it actually keeps it's place.

i.e. it continues counting the clusters from where ever it got to - it DOESN'T actually start again from the begining!

TonyDi
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
That's true - it does keep track of where it's been and when it restarts, it continues from where it left off.
- tony

Seth
10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
That was a great find BM!

I was just giving this some more thought, and if one has to resort to the boot floppy, then you might as well just boot to the 98 cd and run a scandisk from its directory. If I remember correctly, it's either in the "Tools" or "Win98" directory.

Guest110
10-05-2006, 11:26 AM
found this as well
Problems running ScanDisk and Defrag
Many people have problems running ScanDisk and/or Defrag, with the program running 10% or 30% and then stalling. Often with a message that Windows is trying to write to the drive. To run ScanDisk/Defrag successfully:

Go to Start > Run and type msconfig in the Open: box
On the General tab, uncheck all items listed under Selective startup (make sure that Selective startup is selected)
Hit apply and OK and restart Windows
This starts Windows with only the basics running; Insures nothing will interfere with ScanDisk and Defrag
Run ScanDisk and Defrag, when ready go into msconfig and select Normal startup and restart Windows
(If you use Windows 95, restart your system, when you see the Starting Windows 95... text on your screen, quickly

Guest117
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I know this is old but had no response if prob cleared or not.
Two things come to mind:
1. Bios virus scan running. It won't show up in task manager.
2. May actually be something on the disk that scandisk can not fix.
Are you using standard and autofix? :cool:

BTW, even if task manager shows only explorer running, check taskbar just to see if it shows anything. My firewall still runs in taskbar if I do not manually turn it off. Just guessing. Good luck.

Freehold Fred
10-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you have enough free disk space?

Make a startup disk and run 'scandisk' from DOS.

DOS LIVES!!!

Frenchman96
11-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Seth

When I try to help friends to reduce their startup progs, they are scared that I will mess them up but i have never had trouble removing all ticks then adding the ones I want.

What if I leave all blank, does that mean my anti virus and ZA would not actually run, or would they run but not show in ST?

Seth
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Seth

When I try to help friends to reduce their startup progs, they are scared that I will mess them up but i have never had trouble removing all ticks then adding the ones I want.

What if I leave all blank, does that mean my anti virus and ZA would not actually run, or would they run but not show in ST?

In theory, none of the programs that are in Msconfig's startup should load when you start the computer in Safe Mode. However, I don't trust that theory, especially when it comes to malware and security software. Also, what you can disable in Msconfig's startup, is determined by the operating system as well as the type of computer. For example, Win9x operating systems will have startup items like systray, registry scan, power profiles, etc, in the startup item. These should not be disabled, nor are they in Windows NT operating systems. Laptops will have entries for the mouse pad and hot keys that shouldn't be disabled.

Regarding the security software, again in theory, no program should run if it's disabled in msconfig. But, there may be exceptions to this as indicated by running processes in Task Manager. For example, all Norton entries can be disabled, but Task Manager will show a running process from Norton.