PDA

View Full Version : Verizon FiOS

Freehold Fred
12-01-2006, 01:02 AM
My brother livies in Newark, DE. Verizon is offering fiber optic network in a certain area of Newark DE, but no DSL. Apparently, a large banking complex came into the area and Verizon promised them fiber optic network, but now the gen public is underwriting the effort by paying $35/mo. for 5 Mbps bandwidth they don't need.

How can we bargain with VZ for 768kbps at a lower monthly rate even though there is supposedly no DSL service?

Any ideas or alternative suggestions.

Dan18960
12-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Fred,

Unless there is a real competitor - Verizon is not going to "bargain" with anyone. They don't have to.

And their only competitor that can hold weight is Comtragic - and that is going to be more expensive ($45.00 + taxes a month). My introductory offer with FIOS is $29.95 - but after 3 months it will go to $34.95 - but that is with 15/2 (are you sure your brother isn't getting 15 instead of 5?).

I don't see Verizon limiting the lower 5 for the same price they are providing 15 in PA and NJ - it would make an accounting nightmare.

TonyDi
12-01-2006, 06:31 AM
DSL service is dependent on the copper lines coming to your house. They have to be within a certain 'copper distance' from Verizon's Central Office (CO) to your home. If there is no DSL service, Verizon isn't going to install it. I doubt they will install a new CO just for you.

It's my belief that Verizon wants to convert everything to fiber. It will allow them to transmit TV signal in addition to Internet and phone. That's why they're installing the fiber - to upgrade the infrastructure so they can provide more service, hence - more revenue.

-td

Poconos
12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Along the lines of Verizon pushing fiber...a friend in the business (not Verizon) told me that Verizon just got a statewide OK as a TV provider in NJ. Indicates they have a grand plan as they now don't have to deal with individual municipalities for TV distribution approvals. This is 2nd hand info so treat it as such.
Al

Freehold Fred
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I believe it is 5 for the $34.95.

We'll see about 'no competition':
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

Antitrust Division

United States v. Verizon Communications Inc. and MCI, Inc.;
Competitive Impact Statement, Proposed Final Judgment, Complaint,
Stipulation

Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Antitrust Procedures and
Penalties Act, 15 U.S.C. 16(b)-(h), that a Complaint, proposed Final
Judgment, Stipulation, and Competitive Impact Statement have been filed
with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in United
States v. Verizon Communications Inc., Civil Case No. 1:05CV02103
(HHK). On October 27, 2005, the United States filed a complaint
alleging that the proposed acquisition of MCI, Inc. (``MCI'') by
Verizon Communications Inc. (``Verizon'') would violate Section 7 of
the Clayton Act, 15 U.S.C. Sec. 18, by substantially lessening
competition in the provision of locally private lines (also called
``special access'') and other[the remainder intentionally omitted]

Fred,

Unless there is a real competitor - Verizon is not going to "bargain" with anyone. They don't have to.

And their only competitor that can hold weight is Comtragic - and that is going to be more expensive ($45.00 + taxes a month). My introductory offer with FIOS is $29.95 - but after 3 months it will go to $34.95 - but that is with 15/2 (are you sure your brother isn't getting 15 instead of 5?).

I don't see Verizon limiting the lower 5 for the same price they are providing 15 in PA and NJ - it would make an accounting nightmare.