PDA

View Full Version : Got rid of malware now network is messed up

Jack19020
12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
:confused: Sorry ... one more question...

Now that my main box is clean, what could have happned to the other two computers on my network to make websites appear very slow? I checked the laptop and my wife's computer and there is NO adware, spyware or virus present. However, now, when I click on any other website except google, it takes almost 10 minutes to come up whereas google.com is instantaneous? Could I have screwed something up trying to rid the mani box (mine) of that malware? Thanks!

Guest11
12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't think so Jack. Have you reset the router? Modem?

Jack19020
12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Speaking of old technology.... I'm still using my 8 port hard wired 3Com LinkBuilder! LOL No, I haven't re-set my DSL modem. I'll do that now! Thanks, Rich!

Jack19020
12-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Moderator.... please move this to the proper forum. I can continue in the networking forum because there is no change in my internet situation. Thanks.

Jack19020
12-07-2006, 09:08 AM

Hi Rich .... yes, I completely reset the modem including removing power and network/phone line cables and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Here's my setup:

For arguments sake, my network workgroup is named " Sport of Kings "

My computer is named "Clubhouse", my wife's computer is named "Toteboard" and my laptop is named "Winners Circle"

I have the DSL modem cable going to the ethernet jack on the motherboard. I then have a cat 5 cable going from the installed ethernet card to my 3Com LinkBuilder 8 port box. From there I have a cable from one port going to my wife's computer and finally one cable going to my laptop. Pretty simple and straight forward.

My internet connection gateway is on my box; the other computers connect fine. I have file and print sharing, they talk to each other and all boxes connect to the internet. They all have the same workgroup name.

So why is it it takes google on the other two boxes a split second to load and it takes msnbc.com 5 - 10 minutes to load and sometimes gives me a page not available message?

I'm } { this close to trashing all three OS's and re-installing. There's got to be a simple solution to this. Thanks, everyone! :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused:

Dan18960
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Jack,

You are committing the mortal SIN in networking - Internet Connection Sharing!

You are seeing the dragon that has reared it's head and flamed you.

My advice (and since I am not charging you - it is only advice) is to go out and get a Linksys (my favorite), Dlink, Netgear, Belkin, or any other type of router and start your network from scratch.

AND then do the computers over again. But FORGET about doing ICS!

A router should be about $50.00.

dbarrow
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Dan is correct! ICS is a bug riddled mess. Do away with that and use a router.

Jack19020
12-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I hear ya ..... :rolleyes: I guess it's time to put down the chisel and stone tablets. LOL Okay ... how to I get rid of (clean out) the old network settings? Just change the workgroup name?

Dan18960
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Jack,

Have you ever been divorced (or know a REAL close friend that got divorced)? ? ? ?

It is the messiest experience one can have personally - well ICS is the messiest experience one can have on a computer.

Microsoft in their stupidity made ICS MARRY all the machines together - so one can't just do a reconfiguring of the network connections. You are (were) on your way to re-installing the operating system and this will help you get rid of any lingering registry entries that needed to be done away with anyway.

Hopefully you will make backups of ALL your pictures, your wife's pictures, your address book, your emails, your documents, your downloaded programs (we have discussed this on another posting) and utilities BEFORE you blow away your partition and start new.

TonyDi
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
<this is a bit off topic, but I couldn't resist>

Now - on a Mac: Go to System Preferences, Network, Sharing, Tell it what connection you want to share with what port - it's that simple.

I did this the other night. I was doing a demo and had 2 computers. The Mac had a wireless connection, the Windows unit did not. I simply connected the Windows machine's Ethernet cable to the Mac and told the Mac to share it's wireless connection to the Ethernet port. It was that simple.
-td

Jack19020
12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Welllllllllllllllll..... here's what I did Something said to me. Jack, you know the last time you did a windows update, the computers started acting screwy... so, what I did was, now get this fells and gals.... I uninstalled SP2 and re-installed it from a fresh Microsoft SP2 CD (Yes, I backed up 7 gigs of personal stuff before I did this) A tweak here and there, turned on the wife's computer and the laptop and VOILA, I'm back to having instantaneous internet connections to all websites on all computers. :amen: :cheer2: :rockon: Go figure!!!!! At any rate...thanks all and I'm going to Staples tomorrow and buying a Linksys Router anyway! :)

Jack,

Have you ever been divorced (or know a REAL close friend that got divorced)? ? ? ?

It is the messiest experience one can have personally - well ICS is the messiest experience one can have on a computer.

Microsoft in their stupidity made ICS MARRY all the machines together - so one can't just do a reconfiguring of the network connections. You are (were) on your way to re-installing the operating system and this will help you get rid of any lingering registry entries that needed to be done away with anyway.

Hopefully you will make backups of ALL your pictures, your wife's pictures, your address book, your emails, your documents, your downloaded programs (we have discussed this on another posting) and utilities BEFORE you blow away your partition and start new.

Jack19020
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
:mad:

Okay ... now I'm getting frustrated with this damn thing......

I disconnected the laptop and my wife's PC from the hard wired 8 Port 3Com Link Builder. They are off and will collect dust for the next 48 hours. (by choice) Now, I have just MY PC (Win XP Pro w/SP2, 1Gb RAM, etc.) Connected to my DSL modem. Now, THIS box is taking forever to load webpages. I have the LinkSys Router out in the car ready for installation but I just wanted to make sure MY box was running perfectly before I set it up with the new router. What can cause MY computer to load the various websites so slow? Even this page took almost a minute to load up when it used to be like Google and instantaneously load?

No virri, spyware, trojans, malware, underware, outware or anything but pur M$ OS, Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat (Full) and Photoshop installed. I went with AVG A/V just until I get the router set up. <sigh>

Thanks again, guys and gals!

dbarrow
12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Bad modem, line problems, something in your machine settings....

Start by connecting a different machine directly to the modem and see if the problem persists. Rule out modem.

Find a machine working correctly with a direct connection to the modem and then add in the router. Rule out router.

Once those are ruled out, back to the machine causing problems. Disable and uninstall the network connection and start over rebuilding it from scratch.
There are a ton of possible reasons to evaluate here so rule out modem and router first.

Jack19020
12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks DB ... a hunting I shall go ! <sigh>