PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Sygate/Registry

AL DOM
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Win 98, standard ed.

Anyone using Sygate Personal, or Pro firewall, be aware: There are problems due to incomplete uninstalls of this software. Because of an incomplete uninstall I have the following problems and questions.

I deleted Sygate Personal firewall, and the following .vxd files were removed along with the bulk of Sygate, "wpsdrv9x.vxd" and "teefer.vxd".

These files were located in the following folders:
c:\windows\system\wpsdrv9x.vxd
c:\windows\system\teefer.vxd

The problem is that the registry and Win.ini files are still trying to load these now "non-existent files". These registry and Win.ini requests were NOT REMOVED during the uninstall process as they should have been! Yesterday, for almost two hours, I couldn't boot into windows. Windows would freeze at the point of loading these files and the system would default to MSDOS compatibility mode. I would get the message, "Are you trying to return to normal windows mode, I would click Y, but it would boot, warm and cold, back into MSDOS. I was trapped in MSDOS and couldn't escape!

Fortunately, I was able to boot into safe mode, and I restored a previous registry. I was then able to boot into windows. However, now, when I boot up, I get two error mesages stating that the registry and win.ini files are trying to load these two .vxd files. I can get past these error messages and continue into Windows. However, I want to solve the problem of the requests for these files, and the error messages they generate.

I believe I have the following two options to solve this problem:

1- I can re-install Sygate, the .vxd files will return, then uninstall Sygate again, or leave it in the computer. Originally, I had to uninstall Sygate because it was causing many problems on my computer. However, in searching the Sygate forum and other sites, the problems with the .vxd files are just the TIP of the iceburg when uninstalling Sygate! There are many other problems associated with uninstalling Sygate. I believe that I am better off NOT re-installing Sygate, and not having it in my computer.

2- I can try to remove the code in the registry and Win.ini files that is requesting these .vxd files. I conducted a search in Regedit and I found the code in win.ini and the registry referencing these files.

Questions:

1- Should I attempt to remove the code in the registry? Is this the optimum procedure to solve this problem, or will it lead to more problems? If yes, then exactly what is the procedure? Do I rename these references, or delete them? Which method is safer?

I did a normal search outside of regedit and did not find these two .vxd files, nor any reference to them.

However, using Find in Regedit, I did find the following references in the registry to these .vxd files:

In the right pane:

Name.......... Data
ABd............ "teefer.vxd"
ABe............ "wpsdrv9x.vxd"
ABh............ "wpsdrv9x.vxd"

Name............ ...Data
AB static VxD...."C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wpsdrv9x.vxd"

Do I Rename, Modify, or Delete Some of these references, or All of them? If something goes wrong, can I restore a previous registry and recover?

What is your opinion of this problem? Is there another solution?

Thanks,
AL

Rob-S
12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Al,
Sygate is a bear to remove. I had the same problems a while back, when I was looking for a replacement firewall, and had to do the following to totally remove Sygate. FYI this info was from the now defunct Sygate Forums, which I saved just in case.
But make sure to backup your data in the event your system takes a dump....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have JV16, use it to remove any references to Sygate and SPF.

You should also use regedit to delete the following registry keys:
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall

Then do a system search and remove the following.
“Teefer.vxd” (windows\system\teefer.vxd)
“Wps.dll” (windows\system\wps.dll)

Guest11
12-08-2006, 08:05 PM
That's funny I just uninstalled and nevr had a problem a year ago.

Rob-S
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
That's funny I just uninstalled and nevr had a problem a year ago.

Rich,
FYI the problems I mention were on 9x pc's that I was troubleshooting, which were not my pc's.