PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

dbarrow
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=196700071

...Which of these installation restrictions are caused by a real lack of capabilities in Windows 2000, however? Are any of them merely a "squeeze play" by Microsoft to convince buyers that it's necessary to immediately upgrade all PCs to Vista and all servers to Server 2003 or the forthcoming Longhorn Server?...

Dan18960
12-18-2006, 02:48 PM
We are simply moving our W2K clients to XP Pro. Most of them have no motivation to dump on Vista and they are just happy with Office 2003.

So we started making mass purchases of XP Pro upgrade packages and will be migrating them out this coming year.

No one has shown any interest in Office upgrades at all. In fact, I just had a client do an online purchase of Office 2003 upgrades so they can move from OFFICE 97. The only reason is because of compatibility with spreadsheets they are using on some of their newer boxes.

Microsoft can wish all they want - but I don't see corporate America banging down any doors because Microsoft says they want money for Vista.

Terry Hanushek
12-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Dan

Microsoft can wish all they want - but I don't see corporate America banging down any doors because Microsoft says they want money for Vista.
Absolutely. My current client has several hundred seats running primarily W2K Pro. There are a few newer machines delivered with WinXP Pro. They are moving reluctantly to WinXP and have no interest in Vista. I suspect that most of their W2K hardware will require serious upgrades for WinXP (and total replacement for Vista).

Terry

jcampi
12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I work for the NJ Dept. of Trans. They employ about 3,900 workers. All of our computers have Windows XP Pro. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the computers and OS. We had Windows 98 for a while (what a dog) and then used Windows 2000 Pro for a time. Win 2000 was just ok. XP Pro is so much better. I can see the organization moving to Vista in a few years. If MS stops supporting XP at some future date it will likely impact the decision.

Tortanick
12-21-2006, 07:06 PM
/me starts humming "money money money"

I don't see how anyone could be less than disgusted at M$'s behavour, its one think to stop supporting a product after a clearly defined length of time but quite another to delibrately add restrictions just to force people to upgrade.

And kudos to Sun for such a customer friendly policy.