PDA

View Full Version : Security risk in opening a port

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi

We purchased Dominion 3 for my grandson. He tells me that if one is to host a game, it would require one to configure the router to open up a new port. I've been told this wouldn't present any security risk, and am just checking if it's true or not.

Thanks!

Vivienne

Tortanick
12-19-2006, 05:47 AM
It really depends on what's at the other end of that port, It should be safe if Dominions 3 is well programed. If the official forum said its safe then I'd assume they're right. They do know what OS you're running right?

BTW, traditionally with multiplayer dominions people do a turn whenever they have time and send it to the server so you'll have to keep the server up 24/7 waiting for turns to come in, or prearange sending turns on sunday. I've never hosted before so I'd recomend asking at the forums for server etiquet.

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Hi Tortanick

It really depends on what's at the other end of that port, It should be safe if Dominions 3 is well programed. If the official forum said its safe then I'd assume they're right. They do know what OS you're running right?

BTW, traditionally with multiplayer dominions people do a turn whenever they have time and send it to the server so you'll have to keep the server up 24/7 waiting for turns to come in, or prearange sending turns on sunday. I've never hosted before so I'd recomend asking at the forums for server etiquet.

I never even thought of asking at the official forum. :-( You are so smart!!!!

Thank you!!

Vivienne

Tortanick
12-19-2006, 01:08 PM
You're welcome

dbarrow
12-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Many programs open ports, various ports, that are required to communicate back and forth with an external server.

In the case of multi-player games where you are acting as the "server" or host, you have to have the default port open to receive the incoming request to connect.
PORT FORWARDING must be set in the router to direct that port request to the machine being used.

The firewall must be set to allow communication over the port(s) used.

Back to the argument over two way vs. one way firewalls...
The game would have to be "allowed" in the program list of the two way firewall in order to listen and respond on the specified ports. Other programs or apps that could use the same ports would be blocked unless allowed.

While this type of communication is generally safe and secure, (Valve and Steam as well as many other games use ports), some do have exploits that could allow malicious communication. Google the particular game and look for specific references to that.

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Doug:

Thanks for the explanation. :-) Much appreciated.

While this type of communication is generally safe and secure, (Valve and Steam as well as many other games use ports), some do have exploits that could allow malicious communication. Google the particular game and look for specific references to that.

The router is shared with the master computer which is his dad's business computer. I am going to suggest that he play it here. I have an Acronis image in case things go wrong. :-) (Thanks for *that* help as well!)

I did google it but nothing 'sinister' came up. I don't think, though, that we should take a chance. My grandson comes over a few times a week and it might be okay with him to just play it on line here. In fact, I'm not even sure how it is played - I'll have to find out. Tortanick said: " BTW, traditionally with multiplayer dominions people do a turn whenever they have time and send it to the server so you'll have to keep the server up 24/7 waiting for turns to come in, or prearange sending turns on sunday." If that is the way it sounds, then things could be sent to my computer and I could forward them. I'll have to find out more about the game.

Thanks, Doug, your response was very much appreciated!

Vivienne

Tortanick
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Its a great game, well worth a look. BTW now I think of it its probobly possible to have turns sent by E-mail. I think I remember someone posting scripts to automate fetching turns from the E-mail server

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Tortanick:

Its a great game,

Yes, it is and thanks to you , we bought it and he loves it!

BTW now I think of it its probobly possible to have turns sent by E-mail. I think I remember someone posting scripts to automate fetching turns from the E-mail server

That would be a great way to solve his problem! We'll look into it.

Thank you!!

Vivienne

dbarrow
12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Bear in mind... the HOST machine that is acting as the server greatly effects how the game performs.
When you act as a server, your bandwidth and the speed and resources of your machine can determine how the game plays as it has to "serve" x number of people and connections.

If you are not on cable or FIOS and if your machine is not the fastest in the world, have him logon to other machines that are the server. Lag and poor frame rate can spoil the game!

Many online games, like COD2, usually access or connect to a dedicated hosted server (where your group pays a hosting company to put the server version of the game on a dedicated box and hard drive for the express purpose of sharing and usually over a T1 connection) These are expressly designed to allow 50 or more players in the game at any one time without it bringing the server machine to a grinding halt.
While you can act as a host and open up your own game, once you get over 10 people, your machine will bog down and you get lags and poor frame rates.

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Doug:

Thank you - that is valuable information for us to know. :-) I shall pass on your post to him.

While you can act as a host and open up your own game, once you get over 10 people, your machine will bog down and you get lags and poor frame rates.

We're on cable and he has his fancy new gaming laptop which is better than any of our desktops. :-) Well make sure it is under 10 people anyway. He says he likes 6+. So I'll suggest between 6 and 10.

Thanks for that warning!

Vivienne

ps to Tortanick - He says maybe you can join in a game with him when and if he sets one up. :-)

Vivienne
12-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Doug:

He's read your posts, gave it some thought and has decided *just* to join games rather than host. He has joined one now (and is losing badly). :-)

Thanks so very much for all that information. Both of us learned a lot!

Vivienne

Tortanick
12-20-2006, 04:43 AM
dbarrow its a turn based game, the server will not affect FPS it just recieves every players orders for the current turn, when it has the lot (or when the host decides) processes them, then sends the result back.

As for not hosting, when all's said and done just joining is what I'd do, but I'm still not good enough to crush the AI

Vivienne
12-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Hi Tortanick

As for not hosting, when all's said and done just joining is what I'd do, but I'm still not good enough to crush the AI

:-)

I asked him what the advantages for hosting were and he said:

"Aside from choice of Era (All the playable kingdoms are divided between
three eras), Map, and Game Settings, none really. But games tend to be in
high demand and there are usually people waiting for one, so it would be
nice to be able to start one."

And then he went on to say that the games were so slow, it would be good to be playing two at a time.

I must watch him play. I cannot imagine how it works but he is enjoying it so very much!

Vivienne