PDA

View Full Version : Can't ping gateway

Seth
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I've got a Dell that won't obtain an IP as it can't ping my gateway. TCP/IP settings are fine, and I've reset the stack with netshell to no avail. I then swap out the nic to no avail.:mad:

System Restore is enabled and the restore proceeds and says completed, but once booted, I get the System Restore was not successful. I tried on two dates.

I resorted to an sfc /scannow (no help) and a repair install, yet still no gateway ping. I've got to be missing something obvious.

Ideas?

Seth
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
At least I think the tcp/ip settings are fine.

Seth
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I can ping the default ip of 169.254.201.186.

I suppose this means that there is indeed a proper connection between XP and the nic. Damn, this has got to be TCP/IP problem, but I already reset the damn thing.

Seth
02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!:rockon:

I rememberd that SAS has some internet repair utilities, so I ran it's "WinSock LSP chain" fix and it fixed the problem!

PeteF
02-27-2007, 01:26 AM
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!:rockon:

I rememberd that SAS has some internet repair utilities, so I ran it's "WinSock LSP chain" fix and it fixed the problem!

Cool, another PLUS for SAS!

Seth, can you briefly list the most useful features in the PAY version of SAS that are not inthe FREE version?

---pete---

Seth
02-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Pete,

Considering the low cost of SAS Pro with a lifetime subscription, it's all I recommend.

See here (http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html)for a comparison chart.

TonyDi
02-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I wonder what SAS did. Did you try ipconfig /release / renew?

Seth
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I wonder what SAS did. Did you try ipconfig /release / renew?

That's the first thing the customer tried. As it would not R/R, he called me.

Actually, trying to RR an IP doesn't apply if there is no connection to the gateway...which is what I faced.

I don't know the exact details about a Winsocks repair, but I do know that Winsocks controls how the operating system (specifically protocols such as TCP/IP), relates to the gateway/network.

Dan18960
02-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Seth,

I am SURPRISED you would even think of pinging a known default ip address of 169.254.nnn.nnn.

That is the default MS reverts to when it can't resolve a handoff or aqcuire a TCPIP DHCP. It is the same as pinging 127.0.0.1 - your only pinging your own machine.

I would have put in a static ip address, subnet, gateway, and DNS to router immediately.

Cost - nothing
Time - QUICK
APPS - none

PeteF
02-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Pete,

Considering the low cost of SAS Pro with a lifetime subscription, it's all I recommend.

See here (http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html)for a comparison chart.

* Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software (spyware, adware, worms, dialers, hijackers, keyloggers) from installing or re-installing.

* Registry Protection against Browser Hi-Jackers and other threats

Seth, do the above features work automatically to block all that
or does it alert the user and allow the user to decide what to
block or allow?

---pete---

Seth
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Dan,

The default ip of 169... is applied to the nic, right? As such, I tried pinging that IP to make sure there was a proper connection to the nic.

I brought the computer back to the customer yesterday morning and all is well.

Pete,

SAS has full options for user alerts when it comes to real time monitoring and the reg scan at startup. For example, you can be alerted by a sound, a message, or nothing at all. Of course when alerted, the the user has the option of how to respond.

PeteF
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Pete,
SAS has full options for user alerts when it comes to real time monitoring and the reg scan at startup. For example, you can be alerted by a sound, a message, or nothing at all. Of course when alerted, the the user has the option of how to respond.

Seth, that is excellent becasue alerts can be configured for "nothing at all"
for novice users and for expert users it can be configured to have alerts
come up. Thanks for the info on SAS!

---pete---

Seth
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
You're welcome Pete.

I sold three more copies of SAS today (I average two a day). I've yet to have anyone refuse to purchase it. In fact, they're happy to purchase it.

A single product key can legally be used on two computers in one household, so that's even more of an incentive.

For me, selling SAS is not only much easier than repairing computers, but it also makes me about 10 times more money relative to the time involved.

Seth
03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I would have put in a static ip address, subnet, gateway, and DNS to router immediately.

Cost - nothing
Time - QUICK
APPS - none

Dan,

When you have some time, do you think you can post a basic tutorial on static network settings?