PDA

View Full Version : How to surf anonymously without a trace

dbarrow
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012778

...There are things you can do to keep your surfing habits anonymous and protect your online privacy. So read on to find out how to keep your privacy to yourself when you use the Internet, without spending a penny....

...What they know about you

Whenever you surf the Web, you leave yourself open to being snooped upon by Web sites. They can track your online travels, know what operating system and browser you're running, find out your machine name, uncover the last sites you've visited, examine your history list, delve into your cache, examine your IP address and use that to learn basic information about you such as your geographic location and more. To a great extent, your Internet life is an open book when you visit. ...

*The interesting information is what is revealed about you by your machine.

PeteF
03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
The article mentions using TOR to surf anonymously
For anyone Interested in TOR check this KH post...
http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5130#23

---pete---

writeco
03-14-2007, 06:08 AM
I downloaded and installed the TOR bundle as well as the recommended FF plug-in. When I activated and enabled TOR, I was never able to get to any website, even the one on the TOR detector homepage. I also was unable to shutdown the computer. It would just sit there with the Shutting Down text screen. When I uninstalled TOR and the two other programs, everything was back to normal.

The feature, that I was interested in, was the ability to start and stop TOR. When I booted the computer the TOR icon in the systems tray was green or active. However, if I stopped and restarted TOR, it remained in the "starting up" state and never returned to the green state.

Any suggestions? Was the proxy server busy? How often does this happen?

jcampi
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't know what propagandist started this crap, but my clock changed and everything is fine. I believe MS sent out an update for the matter and I don't know anyone that had an issue with the clock. This was another example of the 'chicken little' syndrome.