PDA

View Full Version : Win 2K won't boot

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Got this machine in here because guy wanted me to set up Outlook pst files and get a backup system going. It was booting. I connected an ext hard drive to a USB port and had problems.

Now it won't boot - get the config.sys missing error.

I pulled the drive and slaved it to my machine to make an Acronis image. The image failed because it couldn't read a sector.

I do have an Acronis image of this machine that I made a few months ago.

Do you think I can use the config.sys file from the earlier image? My thinking is to copy the config.sys from the image and replace the config.sys in the drive.

Do you think chkdsk might fix it? How do you run chkdsk on a slaved drive?

Thanks a bunch

Guest117
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
If the drive is really missing the config.sys, an earlier copy of the file should work.
chkdsk would not fix this prob.
run chkdsk drive letter (i.e. run chkdsk d: ):cool:

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I copied the system file from an older image - that helps but now getting
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xEB81F84C, 0Xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) inaccessible_Boot_Device

chkdsk saying no problems with the drive.

Do you think a repair install will work?

Dan18960
04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Tony,

The "secret" is the USB device!

Go into the BIOS and check if the boot priority includes a USB device - if it does, disable that option.

I had the same thing a "LONG" time ago when a client's kids attached their ipod to the computer and it would not boot at all without the ipod connected.

Went in, disabled the USB booting, and shazam, the computer booted with on problems at all.

Oh, by the way, it was a Win2k system also.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. You got lucky. I had this machine here some time ago with the exact problem. Ended up rebuilding it.

Seth
04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I've had chkdsk /r repair problems with config files. It just depends on what exactly the problem with the file is.

Clicky (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103)for ya Tony.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks Seth, What do you think about trying a W2K repair from CD first? The CD is SP-3, the machine has SP-4. I think I'll have to install SP-4 after doing a repair install.

Interesting thing here. I ran the chkdsk /r and it didn't report any problems. However, Acronis True Image has problems reading some of the sectors.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Forgot to ask - the article that you sent refers to XP. Do you think W2K will be similar? I'm thinking of coying the system, software, sam, security, default files. I remember trying this on this same machine last year when it had the same problem, but it didn't work.

Seth
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Repairing 2k and getting sp4 as well as as the dozens of following updates is going to take a while. Probably better to try copying the config files as you suggested. Or just back up whatever personal stuff he's put on since that image, then restore the image.

So if it's a bsod, that obviously means that 2k is attempting to load, so I doubt it's a bios issue. That link will apply to 2k as well.

Seth
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
BTW, did you run chkdsk /r as a slave? If so, the log should have been called chkdsk instead of winlogon.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes - I ran it as a slave. I didn't see any log.

Seth
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
It's gotta' be under Applications>chkdsk.

So what's your next step?

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I tried a repair using the Install CD and the Emergency Repair floppy. I forgot that I made the Emergency Repair floppy when I rebuilt this thing several months ago. That didn't work. So I'm now going to do a Repair install from the CD.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
What do you think of simply replacing the WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG folder with the one I have on the image? There is a difference in that this machine now has a larger hard drive than when I made the image.

Seth
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know enough about the config files, but I doubt they have anything to do with the hard drive size. I'd go for it.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Copying the original Config folder over didn't work.

Seth
04-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Any indication of malware on the drive?

I thought you were going to try the repair install?

Seth
04-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Wait a sec...this only began happening after connecting the usb drive, right?

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes - I was preparing to backup some files with the external drive. The drive was pretty full, so I started deleting files. While doing this I believe the machine locked up, so I used the Power button to shut it down. It's never been the same since.

Of course, I've removed the ext USB drive.

Seth
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Ok, so you can rule out everything from that MS link other than the blown config files.

Someone posted this fix a while back, not sure if it will work for 2k, but I've had it work for XP:

1.Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key

3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.

Typically this will be #1

4.Enter in the administrator password when requested (if blank just press enter)

5.cd \windows\system32\config

6.Type:
ren system system.bad

7.TYPE:
copy \windows\repair\system

8.Take out the CD ROM and type exit

I don't know what boot file error you're getting now, but it might be an option to run a bootcfg /rebuild. Otherwise, I would just go for the repair install.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Is step 7 missing something, like a destination?

Seth
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Is step 7 missing something, like a destination?

Ha ha ha. Good question!

When I first came across that fix, I asked the same thing at KH. No one seemed to know. Although I assume it copies to some default.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 06:19 PM
It's running - I copied over the system and system32 folders in WINNT from the June image. This is in addition to copying the Config folder earlier. It said the password had expired, but I got past that. I wonder what else will be screwy? Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Seth
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
No prob.

So you got that password issue after replacing the folders? Oh man, I've had that happen a couple of times with XP. It was a nightmare to fix, because I would fix it, then I would get another hash check error over and over.

TonyDi
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
When the machine was here in June, it had a password. Since then, he changed the password to be blank. Don't know how it all plays together.