PDA

View Full Version : Printer sharing XP, ME

TonyDi
05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I want to share a printer connected to a desktop running XP with a wirelessly connected ME machine.

Do I have to load the printer's ME driver on the desktop?

Seth
05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Nope.

The file is sent to the XP system, then its drivers will take it from there.

Dan18960
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
You "MAY" have to load the drivers on the ME system - remember 2000/XP share printer drivers, Windows 98 did not (and ME was still in the 9x file sytem).

TonyDi
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
That's what I thought. Especially in this situation. I just became aware that the intended printer, a Dell 922 AIO, doesn't have ME drivers. I don't think this will work.

dbarrow
05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
On XP, it loads the drivers for the printer locally, therefore, the MS machine may require drivers.
Fire it up and see if it asks for a driver.

Dan18960
05-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Does it have W98 drivers?

You might want to check the Lexmark site for the same footprint - after all Dell doesn't build their own printers, they just brand someone elses.

Seth
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm interested to see how this works out. I don't recall ever having to load drivers for the shared printer on the host machine.

Dan18960
05-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm interested to see how this works out. I don't recall ever having to load drivers for the shared printer on the host machine.

Seth,

Do you mean REMOTE machine? You HAVE to load drivers (even if they are part of the pool of drivers included in the operating system) on the HOST machine to even have it appear in the Printer/Fax profile before you can share the printer.

You CAN see some printers that are connected directly to the machine by the "New Hardware" found dialog - but that just begins the driver installation.

My Vista bench box found my shared network printers but only because they were shared to begin with. But that is replicated on my XP systems also.

Guest11
05-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah in my experience even on XP sometimes you need to load the drivers on all pc's.

dbarrow
05-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Never quite did figure this out...
If you don't have the printer driver set loaded on a machine
and you connect it to a network with a shared printer on another machine, when you add that printer to your available printer list, XP APPEARS to install the drivers from the machine hosting the printer.

At least with the HP deskjets, the generic XP driver is not always full featured the same as the set you install from the printer cd or download, yet, when it installs itself as a network printer, everything seems to come with it.
Therefore, does it pull down the drivers from the host machine?

TonyDi
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I just tried this in the office. Set the XP machine to share an HP printer. Connected to the network with an ME machine. On the ME machine, went to ADD PRINTER / Network Printer and put in the path. The ME machine wanted to load drivers for the HP printer.

From this experiment, drivers for the shared printer must be installed locally to any machine that will be printing to it.

In my case, ME drivers are not available for the printer.

Guest11
05-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Interesting because the only time I did not have to install the driver in a networked pc was when my HP Laser Printer was involved. With Canon and Brother I had to. it has to be that the driver is in XP.