PDA

View Full Version : Can't obtain IP address from router

dale@fcg
05-22-2007, 07:04 AM
PC on a peer to peer won't obtain ip from dhcp linksys router (other machines are fine dhcp). This pc just settles for the automatic private ip starting with 169.

When I set the ip static it will access the local network fine, although it won't access the internet. I have the gateway and dns set to the router's ip address. It will access the router page, which shows everything on status page as being ok (which I expected since I have internet access on other pc's). This problem just cropped up recently, as it was accessing web no problem previously.

Any sugs? Thanks in advance.

TonyDi
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Try ipconfig /flushdns. See this recent thread.

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4093

dale@fcg
05-22-2007, 04:39 PM
thanks, I'll look into it. Right now issue seems to have been resolved by swapping out the router with a backup. But I don't really think that's the real answer.

Phelyx
05-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Is the configuration on the problem PC static? Sounds like its trying to use an IP that is already used.

dale@fcg
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Nope, it's set to obtain automatically. Although no matter what IP I do use in a static situation (certainly not one already in use), it gives access to the router, but not the web.

TonyDi
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Linksys router that I've used issue IP addresses of 168.192.1.X.

In your first post you said that the IP starts with 169. That suggests that someone has messed around with the router default configuration. Try resetting to default by pressing the reset button for at least 5 seconds and see what happens.

Dan18960
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Kelly,

Are you SURE that the Linksys router you use is 168? ? ?

By default Linksys assigns 192.168.1.100 - 150 to devices when set to DHCP.

169.254.xxx.xxx is a default that USUALLY means that MS has not found a DHCP server and has routed the 127.0.0.1 back to a fictious ip address.

The reason I say "usually" is because I actually had a client setup their own network with those defaults - talk about a nightmare for support. They had all their computers static assigned to that address as well as the networked printers. To say the least - I didn't keep them long as a client. I fired them!

TonyDi
05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
The routers I've worked with (model WRT54G) assigns 192.168.1.X and I believe X starts with 2 out of the box. I have a spare here that I can hook up and verify.

dale@fcg
05-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Kelly, Linksys routers do start with 192, but actually they start handing addresses at 100. The issue here is as Dan explained- that the pc (when set to obtain an ip) does not receive an ip from the router, so the os just assigns it the private ip of 169.xxx. etc.

The mystery lies in what is preventing the pc from obtaining an ip from the dhcp server (router). Note that when I set it to a static ip, it will talk to the router but not access the net, despite the dns and gateway being set to the router ip of 192.168.1.1.

TonyDi
05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
opps - just reread my post and I was incorrect saying the Lnksys router that I've used issue IP addresses of 168.192.1.X. - got them transposed. but in a later post i did have it correct as 192.168.1.X.

... and again I apologize, I took my spare out of the box and indeed it starts issuing addresses, as Dale said, at 100.

Sorry folks.

When playing with my FIOS, I ran into a similar situation: I could access the router, but not the Internet. Turns out that when I substituted a Linksys router for the ActionTek, Verizon didn't like that. It was expecting the ActionTek router so it didn't assign my router an IP and no one was getting on the Internet. I simply had to call Verizon and the reassigned an IP for the Linksys. They must keep a record of the router's MAC address and assign it a certain IP. I think if the router was disconnected for a few hours, a new IP would have been assigned.

I would still try setting the router to default condition.

PeteF
05-25-2007, 04:06 AM
This problem just cropped up recently, as it was accessing web no problem previously.

Any sugs? Thanks in advance.

You never mentioned which modem you are using.
Temporarilly bypass the router and ensure that the modem is working properly.

Next, reset the router to the factory settings and set it up from scratch.
If it won't setup correctly, the router is probably defective, but at that
point, it might be worthwhile calling their tech support line. If your router
is a Linksys, their tech support is pretty good.

---pete---

dale@fcg
05-25-2007, 07:00 AM
PC on a peer to peer won't obtain ip from dhcp linksys router (other machines are fine dhcp).
Pete: Linksys wrt54g, and since other machines can access the internet no problem via dhcp the modem would seem to be fine.

TonyDi
05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
MAC address filtering? Firewall?

dale@fcg
05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
MAC address filtering? Firewall? no mac address filtering, no firewall

Dan18960
05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Sometimes it just has a spike in the line and you have to go the static "route" for awhile.

Remember the routers (and any other device that can handle DHCP) will record the mac address, ip assigned address, and any errors that occurred while the mac/ip was active.

I have seen where it takes anywhere from a few days to almost 2 months before the log is cleared of the error and allows the mac/ip dynamic assignment again. And that is after flushing the dns (ipconfig /flushdns), registering the dns (ipconfig /registerdns), and clearing the DHCP logs.

As long as I can get a connection, I don't have a problem with static/dynamic. NOW if I can't connect - then I start my sailor impersonation :tape: