PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Backs Start-Up to Ramp Up Web Speeds

dbarrow
06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2147287,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

NEW YORK—The investment arm of Comcast Corp., the U.S. No. 1 cable operator, said on Friday it will back a Silicon Valley start-up that develops chips to enable super-fast Internet access and more high-definition channels. ...

Phelyx
06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
In May, Comcast Chief Executive Brian Roberts demonstrated Internet speeds of up to 100 megabits per second at The Cable Show. Most major U.S. cable operators today typically offer customers speeds around 5 megabits per second.

Cable companies are limited by the existing capacity of their already-laid cables, partly filled by bandwidth-hungry analog channels.

Something tells me FiOS will be out very very quickly.

dbarrow
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
FIOS looked to spell the doom of cable with mega increases in speed. While Verizon and the other "Bells" twiddled their thumbs rolling out the fiber network, technology marched on.
You don't think the already heavily invested cable companies were going to sit back and wait to be beaten into the ground.
New cable technology has already been discovered that will equal FIOS and the cable companies are rushing to get it out as quick as possible. DOCSIS3 is coming!

While the speed wars continue unabated, the price wars have yet to kick in. Verizon blew their chance to knock out cable and suck up all their customers FIOS. Instead of offering triple cable speeds at lower cost ... they come out in a head to head battle with equal speeds for equal money. Sure, upper tier FIOS will slam cable but the price isn't going to lure in all the cable customers.

Not to mention, the cable companies learned something a few years back that Verizon still has little grasp on ... customer service! Cable has completely turned around customer service over the last few years into fast, efficient, and very customer pleasing rapid response.

chuckyb
06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Verizon is rolling out FIOS faster than AT&T. In chicago, we have AT&T and I've read that the speeds are not too fast.

DOCSIS3 is something that I'm looking forward too. Comcast said they may offer 100 Mbit speeds with DOCSIS3.