View Full Version : Can't get 'g' computer onto 'b' network

07-14-2007, 04:48 PM
One of my neighbors was here today and we tried to connect to my wireless network. Right now I'm using an old D-Link which only have 802.11b. His new MacBook has 802.11g which should be backward compatible. Could not establish a connection between the D-Link and the MacBook.

I then connected my ActionTek that came with FIOS. The ActionTek is 802.11g and my neighbor's MacBook connected immediately.

I searched the Preferences in the Mac and didn't find any setting like 'don't connect to 'b' network.

Any ideas why the new MacBook wouldn't connect to my old router?

11-14-2007, 06:25 AM

Did you ever resolve this?

11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
No - I heard a rumor that it was a problem with some of the new MacBooks. Someone in one of my Mac groups reported there are several postings along the same lines in Apple's MacBook discussion forum. There was a suggestion to update the firmware on the router.

Note: The D-Link router that I was unable to connect to was pretty old; it was an 802.11 'b' only. So maybe the firmware update suggestion would work.

11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
You should check the Actiontec MI424WR wireless configuration. You may be configured for 802.11g only, you want 802.11b/g compatibility. Also, the encryption may be set at something that the old machine can't deal with, say WPA or WPA2.

11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
The MacBook connected fine with the ActionTec, which is configured for mixed environment. The problem was that it wouldn't connect to the older D-Link, which is 'b' only as it was manufactured before 'g' came out. I don't use encryption.

11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
OK, got it backwards. :)

On the D-Link, I'd suggest configuring for plain 802.11b, and remove any "turbo" options. I know that my old D-Link DI-614+ had several options that would make it difficult or impossible to connect to some devices.