PDA

View Full Version : voice mail programme

Dotty
08-20-2007, 04:03 AM
for anyone interested in adding a voice message to their e -mail or indeed being lazy and replacing all that typing!;)
I have been using this (http://www.handybits.com/voicemail.htm) programme for some time now and all of my friends think it's wonderful to receive them instead of the usual boring e-mails, it's extremely easy to use and definately one of my favourite finds :)

Dotty
08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Comcast introduced a voicemail option a long time back.
As I recall, Hotmail had one too.

Voicemail just seems to be one of those things, despite the fact it works well, is one of those things that just can't catch on in popularity and use.
It may be the fact that you can't edit and visualize the content like txt or just that most people simply don't care for them. For whatever reason, it has been around for years but never seems to get off the ground.

actually, when I started to use it and sent messages to my friends, none of them knew it was possible so obviously not everyone is aware of it, it's certainly got off the ground in my circle of contacts as other forum members have asked for the programme details.

PeteF
08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Voicemail just seems to be one of those things, despite the fact it works well, is one of those things that just can't catch on in popularity and use.

It could also be a privacy issue where a person does not want
all their private conversations played out loud so that anyone
nearby can hear it. I have my Eudora Email program setup to
to announce out loud the name of the person who sent each
Email as it comes in and that's as far as I'd like to take it.
If you are talking to me on the phone you can hear in the
background the names being announced if any new Email
comes in. :D That's as far as I'd ever go with announcing
Email.

Voice Email would probably go over best with blind people
or people who live by themselves.

---pete---

Dotty
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
It could also be a privacy issue where a person does not want
all their private conversations played out loud so that anyone
nearby can hear it. I have my Eudora Email program setup to
to announce out loud the name of the person who sent each
Email as it comes in and that's as far as I'd like to take it.
If you are talking to me on the phone you can hear in the
background the names being announced if any new Email
comes in. :D That's as far as I'd ever go with announcing
Email.

Voice Email would probably go over best with blind people
or people who live by themselves.

---pete---
voicemails are sent as an attachment thus allowing the recipient to view them at leisure, nobody can hear them unless specifically allowed to

PeteF
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
voicemails are sent as an attachment thus allowing the recipient to view them at leisure, nobody can hear them unless specifically allowed to

Yes, I figured as much, but imagine yourself in an office environment
or even in a home with multiple family members around all the time
where you would not want your personal Emails announced out loud.

No doubt, this is a useful program and I already DL'd it in case one
of my customers is interested, but I think most people would have
privacy issues with all their Email spoken out loud.

Question...
When you run this vioce mail program, do you also receive each
message as a standard Email? Reason I ask is that many times
people receive links in Email that they need to click on and I'm
wondering if they lose that option with this voice mail system.

BTW: Thanks for posting :)

----pete---

Dotty
08-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Yes, I figured as much, but imagine yourself in an office environment
or even in a home with multiple family members around all the time
where you would not want your personal Emails announced out loud.

No doubt, this is a useful program and I already DL'd it in case one
of my customers is interested, but I think most people would have
privacy issues with all their Email spoken out loud.

Question...
When you run this vioce mail program, do you also receive each
message as a standard Email? Reason I ask is that many times
people receive links in Email that they need to click on and I'm
wondering if they lose that option with this voice mail system.

BTW: Thanks for posting :)
----pete---

the voice mail message is only received within an attachment and not as a link as you have to download it to play it.
Obviously the prog won't suit everyone but it's particularly good when you have made friends globally and you can send them your accent:), that's why I've found it invaluable as have my friends.
It is a personal choice of course and isn't aimed at an office environment but it's fun and it's surprising how many have told me how wonderful it is.

Not everyone has a mic, so cannot chat in Paltalk, it's different strokes for different folks I guess :)

Dotty
09-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Likewise ;)
ya know I started a thread about the prog here (http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8727) and there wasn't any real interest which surprised me as I've sent the prog to many of my friends, particularly overseas and they all love it! so I suppose it's different strokes for different folks!;) I personally wouldn't be without it and it certainly cuts down on the laborious typing:D

help4me
09-15-2007, 09:21 PM
ya know I started a thread about the prog here (http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8727) and there wasn't any real interest which surprised me as I've sent the prog to many of my friends, particularly overseas and they all love it! so I suppose it's different strokes for different folks!;) I personally wouldn't be without it and it certainly cuts down on the laborious typing:D

I love it... thank you BTW. I sent it to most of my pals and they all love it too. And there's just something more.. personal ... more real about hearing someone talk. I have saved all of the ones I have recieved... then I can go back and listen to them again and again. Like little keepsakes... mementos if you will... for such wonderful friendships :)

Dotty
09-15-2007, 09:29 PM
I love it... thank you BTW. I sent it to most of my pals and they all love it too. And there's just something more.. personal ... more real about hearing someone talk. I have saved all of the ones I have recieved... then I can go back and listen to them again and again. Like little keepsakes... mementos if you will... for such wonderful friendships :)
yes I save them too! they are far more interesting than boring e-mails and they add a nice personal touch, the trouble is now I get loads in a day, some of them last over 30 minutes which another overseas KH member can vouch for, she knows who she is;) but we just love sending them back and forth and it certainly helps to build more personal friendships and we can look forward to hearing those friendly voices across the pond:D

help4me
09-15-2007, 09:57 PM
yes I save them too! they are far more interesting than boring e-mails and they add a nice personal touch, the trouble is now I get loads in a day, some of them last over 30 minutes which another overseas KH member can vouch for, she knows who she is;) but we just love sending them back and forth and it certainly helps to build more personal friendships and we can look forward to hearing those friendly voices across the pond:D

exactly :D

MightyQueenCarolyn
09-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Well, I think it's a nifty little program, Dotty and thanks! I've been having a play, sending voice messages to myself and returning them (to myself). I told myself to get off my bottom and go to the kitchen to get some tea and myself said no, that my toes were too cold. What a sad sack. LOL I'll have you know I sound nothing like myself, accent or otherwise. It seems I do have a tendency to squeak myself, so I should let Wolfey off the hook. :p

Talking to you all on mic was fun, but made me nervous. :redface: Maybe I'll get used to it, but it was great puting voices to names that I've been reading and typing to for years. Far more fun than the phone, imro. I hate phones (I'm connected to one all day long at work and part-time some evenings when on-call, so avoid for "normal usage" when at home), but listening to messages on paltalk is fun.

I figured out why I didn't understand some words Wolfey said when he was speaking. It wasn't his accent (or squeak ;) ); it was the slang or uncommon-to-me words that threw me.

Looking forward to next chat. See you laterz. :)

Dotty
09-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Well, I think it's a nifty little program, Dotty and thanks! I've been having a play, sending voice messages to myself and returning them (to myself). I told myself to get off my bottom and go to the kitchen to get some tea and myself said no, that my toes were too cold. What a sad sack. LOL I'll have you know I sound nothing like myself, accent or otherwise. It seems I do have a tendency to squeak myself, so I should let Wolfey off the hook. :p

Talking to you all on mic was fun, but made me nervous. :redface: Maybe I'll get used to it, but it was great puting voices to names that I've been reading and typing to for years. Far more fun than the phone, imro. I hate phones (I'm connected to one all day long at work and part-time some evenings when on-call, so avoid for "normal usage" when at home), but listening to messages on paltalk is fun.

I figured out why I didn't understand some words Wolfey said when he was speaking. It wasn't his accent (or squeak ;) ); it was the slang or uncommon-to-me words that threw me.

Looking forward to next chat. See you laterz. :)
Hey I'm so glad you liked it Carolyn! it's funny when you actually listen to your own voice! I swear that it's not me lol
You didn't sound at all nervous on the mic, it was great! as for Wolfey.. even I don't understand him half the time and you're quite right it is the slang and local dialect that is difficult to comprehend but you will soon me talking like a brit :D