PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Player

BGBG
09-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Does anyone know what Macromedia Flash player or Adobe Flash Player 9 is and how to get it to work?
I have a picture file of format .SWF which is a macromedia flash format and it said to install Adobe Flash Plkayer 9 which I did. But I cant access the file and i can find nothing on PC that says flash player even though it said installation was successful. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I am on Windows 98se at this time. Have not tried it on XP at all.

BGBG
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
OK, Im getting there. http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/alternates/
I D/L uninstallers and installers and saved. I have now installed the correct player, whereas I think I installed the wrong one before, and it has been uninstalled. I can install it also if need be.
Bu6t now I cant seem to find the program that opens the file. If I click file it says open with but I dont know where the program is. I thought it was in C:\Windows\System\Macromedia\Shockwave10 but when I say to open with any of these it does not open. What am I not doing correctly?

BGBG
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
UH OH... I uninstalled and reinstalled each and both and either way I now find I cant get website to work. Dont know if it is something with players or if server turned off.
Site was http://www.cubpack81.com/images/carve_pumpkin.swf
It showed an interactive pumpkin where you could draw a face. But if saved or emailed it would not reopen because the filename was carve_pumpkin.swf and I could not find program to open it with.
Then I tried downloading the players and had each one and both installed. But then when I tried the website it would only save an .swf file which I again could not open. At this time I cant seem to get the original inteactive site. maybe I will try tomorrow in case it is turned off. It was working at first then stopped.
I still do not know if he players are supposed to work automatically. I cannot find any way to start the player manually.
Hope this added info helps. Would like to get this to work again.

Phelyx
09-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Try to download the standalone version and not the web page installer. This happens very often in firefox.

BGBG
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Carve pumpkin site worked again when I enabled Internet Tools/Security/Custom/ to enable Run Active X Controls and PlugIns. Actually it was disabled and I just clicked RESET.
So now I have standalone versions of Shockwave 10 and Adobe Flash Player 9 installed and confirmed by website. The pumpkin site works again due to security settings to enable Active X and Plugins.
But I STILL cannot open the .swf file because it has the windows icon and the Open With dialogue and I do not know what program to tell it to open file with. Any idea what program to use for opening .swf file and where i find that program??

BGBG
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
In spite of removing and reinstalling both players several times this site will not now work. And if I try to open a .swf file I get Open With dialog and cannot find a program to tell it to open with.
Does anyone know where to find the file that opens the .swf files? Or is there a place other than C\Windows\Macromedia where the file may reside?
I tried resetting the inrernet options securiy custom to default which seemed to work once but not now. Stuck!

BGBG
09-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Site has started working for me again. Did nothing different with PC but did send message to site complaining of its inconsistency. Still feel like the site has something to do with it.