PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] System is slowing down

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 08:29 AM
In July 2007, I changed from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. I am happy with it and feel as if I made the right decision.

I am finding that when I use the Internet, it is taking a few seconds (seems like eternity) to load the page. I don't know if this is being cause by FIOS or by what I have going on in my system.

One of the software products I have is WinPatrol Plus. It shows about 20 routines in the "Start Programs". I was thinking of disabling all of them and then work myself back up until I find the one(s) that may be causing the slowdown.

Is there a better way to analyze the system? I'm sure this has been addressed before in other post but I did search and could not come up with an answer.

Thanks,
Sam

TonyDi
09-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Maybe a little cleaning is in order. I don't know why, but when I delete certain files, computers seem to speed up. I search for and delete the following:
~*.* files
*.tmp files
Temporary Internet Files
Cookies
Folders titled Temp

PeteF
09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Sam, two things come to mind...

1.) Take a look at your Hosts file.
Too many entries (hundreds) listed in your host file will cause a
delay in page loading because it has to check the list first.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

2.) Start -> Run
and type.. cmd

then at the command prompt type.. ipconfig /flushdns
and hit enter.

See if that helps.

---pete---

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Pete:

Before I do #2, what will this do to my system?

Sam

Sam, two things come to mind...

1.) Take a look at your Hosts file.
Too many entries (hundreds) listed in your host file will cause a
delay in page loading because it has to check the list first.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

2.) Start -> Run
and type.. cmd

then at the command prompt type.. ipconfig /flushdns
and hit enter.

See if that helps.

---pete---

dbarrow
09-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Is it only page loading?
If the page seems slow to start, as in the info bar saying "looking up..."
If you then immediately click on the link again and it goes through...

It may not be on your end...

Over the last few months, I have noticed a couple peculiarities on the web. I am not reading anything about it but must take a peek at the DSLreports forums as that is where the answer will likely be found.

There seems to be something going on in the upper levels of the web backbones with lags and high ping spikes.
Diddle around with Ping Plotter for a while and ping a bunch of different sites. There seems to be a lot of lags and high pings in backbone hops above Comcast that resolve on the second or third trace.
Some of the hops that lag show high packet loss.
DNS servers seem intermittantly sluggish resolving an address.
Encounter a site that appears to be hanging and click the link again and it goes through right away.
It seems generalized and all over the web.

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Attached is a copy of the Startup Programs captured by WinPatrol Plus. Would you mind taking a look at them and tell me where there may be overkill (i.e. Spyware applications, Nod32,SuperAntiSpyware, etc.) and / or things I don't need.

To review a few of these:
- "outicon.exe" is used to with Microsoft outlook. I use the Reminder feature of the Calendar.
- "Incredimail" is my e-mail client program
- "Trillian" is my Instant Messenger program.

With the 3 applications above, I like the idea of "instant notification" when an event happens. This is why I have these in my Startup Folder.
Since I took the "jpeg", I disabled RainLander2 and Desktop.ini. There is no change in speed.

Thanks for your time,
Sam

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Doug:

For the most part you are right on. I notice that if I click a link and it is slow, sometimes when I re-click it will go right through.

AN example of a possible problem with my system is using K & H. I'll type a post and then click Submit. It will take mabe up to 10 plus seconds to unload and re-display the screen.

I am going to send a follow-up message to this one. Once I hit the "Submit" button, I will time it and send the results in the follow-up.

Sam

Is it only page loading?
If the page seems slow to start, as in the info bar saying "looking up..."
If you then immediately click on the link again and it goes through...

It may not be on your end...

Over the last few months, I have noticed a couple peculiarities on the web. I am not reading anything about it but must take a peek at the DSLreports forums as that is where the answer will likely be found.

There seems to be something going on in the upper levels of the web backbones with lags and high ping spikes.
Diddle around with Ping Plotter for a while and ping a bunch of different sites. There seems to be a lot of lags and high pings in backbone hops above Comcast that resolve on the second or third trace.
Some of the hops that lag show high packet loss.
DNS servers seem intermittantly sluggish resolving an address.
Encounter a site that appears to be hanging and click the link again and it goes through right away.
It seems generalized and all over the web.

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
The preceeding post took 14 seconds from the time the "Submit" button was clicked until the screen was reepainted.

Isn't that a little too long????

Sam

Doug:

I am going to send a follow-up message to this one. Once I hit the "Submit" button, I will time it and send the results in the follow-up.

Sam

casey
09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Sam,

I didn't time it but I have noticed the same thing with KH. It seems to be an awful long time between submit and when it is displayed..

dbarrow
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.opendns.com/
208.67.220.220Try using the above as your primary and secondary DNS server.

I just finished a few threads at DSLreports Comcast forum confirming sluggish DNS servers.
You can also try the Verizon servers
4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

Although I have only clicked through a few sites using the OpenDNS so far, page loading seems way snappier and a Tab with 8 sites resolved far quicker on all of them.

I'm going to leave this on for a week and see if there is a big difference.

I still Ping Plot a big lag going to KH at
62.145.28.37 so-5-1-0.mpr2.atl6.us.above.net
No packet loss but the ping doubles at that hop #13

*BTW, submit was almost instant on this post and this line edit.

TonyDi
09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I noticed that you have 2 Verizon apps in there. You don't need them. Consider turning them off.

Guest11
09-09-2007, 11:40 AM
You guys must have missed all the posts a week ago about lag time on KH.
The server is overloaded and KH will be moved to a new server shortly, but for now there are issues.
Sam I would also take out ZA, you don't need it. With Nod32 and Sas there is nothing going to get in there and all that is is sludge in your system. Also for Startup take out the Verizon entries, 1&1, Rainlendar, Send and receive Mail,
Incredimail,Outicon...none of that is necessary in startup. But I would put money on ZA causing mos of the issues and it serves no positive purpose for you with such good aps onboard.
Do you have 1 Gig of ram or 2 in that, I can't remember if you added ram later or still have the 1 gig.

dbarrow
09-09-2007, 01:09 PM
What I see has nothing to do with KH server and is universal across the web and pages I click on.
Sometimes lag and sometimes not and it looks like DNS resolution locating the page. Once it finds it, loads the page fast, again pointing to DNS.

Comcrap DNS servers have always been noted for lag and get really bad whenever something happens at the top of the chain with the main DNS servers that populate down. It can take Comcrap DNS servers a week or more to catch up. In these instances, I have previously switched to the main Verizon 4.2.2.1. They get ****y with Comcast about Comcast subscribers using their DNS servers, hence Comcast sent out emails to please stick with their DNS servers a few months ago.

Open DNS appears to be locating and resolving pages faster than the Comcast DNS servers.

There are still some big lag points in backbones higher up in the web you encounter at different locations.

ZA has no effect on this whatsoever.

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Do you have 1 Gig of ram or 2 in that, I can't remember if you added ram later or still have the 1 gig.

Rich:

I have 2 gig.

Sam

Guest11
09-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Rich:

I have 2 gig.

Sam

OK so it's not the issue....

DB,
Whenever I have removed ZA from a system it flew. I think ZA is more restrictive (are you ready for this Larry....really, really ready) drag than Norton Internet Security!

mommalina
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Sam wrote:
For the most part you are right on. I notice that if I click a link and it is slow,
sometimes when I re-click it will go right through.

I have 768 DSL. Have noticed re-clicking a slow link speeds it up. This
occurs with a variety of web sites, not limited to the KH forum.

Don't know if it's a DSL problem or it's all over the web.

Lina

PeteF
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Pete:

Before I do #2, what will this do to my system?

Sam

Read about it here...
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/a184e334-2c9f-48c4-abe7-804188200dd91033.mspx?mfr=true

PeteF
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Normal is just one entry.
The more entries the more delay you add.
Each PC will be different depending upon the speed of the CPU.

How much delay is tolerable?
All depends upon the patience of the user.

To find out what your particualr case is you need to edit the Host
file with various quantities of entries to see how it effects the delay
on you system.

All I can tell you is that Spybot has a feature where it will load the
HOST file for you. I did it and noticed a delay that was way too
much to tolerate for my liking, but each computer and person
could have different results. Sorry, no simple answer on this issue
that applies to everyone.

---pete---

PeteF
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
You guys must have missed all the posts a week ago about lag time on KH.
The server is overloaded and KH will be moved to a new server shortly, but for now there are issues.

Ok Rich, thanks for the update.
I figured it was your webhosting service causing the delays.

If you are ever considering switching webhosting services, give
Westhost a try. Superior service and support. I've been with
them for years and extremely satisfied with them...

http://www.htworkshop.com/pfr_0.htm#3

---pete---

Guest11
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for thought Pete, but Adam hosts his own.

TonyDi
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
just curious, did you delete the files i noted in post #3?

PeteF
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
The slowness here at KH is a totally different issue.
They are having temporary problems with the server being overloaded.

To test the HOSTS file you need to check a few other sites.
Use sites that are stable most reliable in your own judgent.
Don't judge by one site alone. Test with a few to get a general
Idea how fast they load or if you can detect any delay.

To answer your first question, I think a host file with a few hundred
entries is ok but when you have a few thousand, you will begin to
notice the delay.

---pete---

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Pete:
I did not execute http://kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9063#5 yet. I want to read up on it tomorrow when I am more wide awake.

However, I did execute BM's ATF Cleaner by Atribune. I do not know if this is causing the following problem or if it is something I disabled but the Username will not remain on the sign-in screens.

I realize these cleaners do clean the cookies and thus it will wipe out "usernames". Usually, after re-entering the UserName and checking the "Remembering" box, subsequent times the UserName will be there. This is no longer true for me. Maybe I turned off Cookies? If so, how do I get them back on??
Sam

Sam Ceccola
09-09-2007, 11:42 PM
just curious, did you delete the files i noted in post #3?

Kelly:

yes I did. I used the processor BM suggested "ATF".
Sam

Guest11
09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Sam go Run and then here:
control userpasswords2
You will see reset password towards bottom of page.

Guest11
09-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Pete:
I did not execute http://kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9063#5 yet. I want to read up on it tomorrow when I am more wide awake.

However, I did execute BM's ATF Cleaner by Atribune. I do not know if this is causing the following problem or if it is something I disabled but the Username will not remain on the sign-in screens.

I realize these cleaners do clean the cookies and thus it will wipe out "usernames". Usually, after re-entering the UserName and checking the "Remembering" box, subsequent times the UserName will be there. This is no longer true for me. Maybe I turned off Cookies? If so, how do I get them back on??
Sam

That's just part of the reason I never use these things....

Terry Hanushek
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Sam

It appears that you have already learned the value in checking 'Remember me' when you log on to KH (or and vBulletin BBS).

To 'turn on' cookies

IE: On the Tools | Internet Options | Privacy Tab, click on 'Override automatic cookie handling'. Then clock on 'First party Cookies: Accept', 'Third party Cookies: Block' and 'Always allow session cookies'.

Firefox: On the Tools | Options | Privacy tab, click on 'Accept cookies from sites' and select 'Keep until they expire'.

HTH

Terry