PDA

View Full Version : Solved My Speed and Lag Problem

Guest11
09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
All along I have been blaming various servers, isp cutbacks, Vista, and a whole host of other things.
My base internet and network consist of a Verizon Wireless Access Point/Modem and a USR 5461 Router with Print server built in. The other day I was connected wirelessly with a client pc and I noticed the internet was running really fast so I ran some internet speed tests and I was running FF at 2200-2400 kbps on a 3.0 Verizon Dsl setup which is OK for wireless. Then I ran my wired connections annd was getting 2200-2700 kbps on FF and 1600 on IE and I knew something was wrong. Looking closer I realized the wireless was running on my Verizon/Westell Access Point by accident, as I thought I had shut it off to prevent mistakes (like this one). That's when I realized how much my router performance had downgraded as I was getting 4200 kbps on FF on my wired connections and a little under 3.0 on IE.
I checked and my firmware is up to date in the router. I reset modem and routers and reconfigured the router again. I changed out some cables but pretty quickly realized the router was "out of steam".
I also tried the static Dns entries Doug posted a few days ago, but saw little difference there either. I did notice the lag stopped but the speeds I was testing on were slower.
So I decided I wanted to go top shelf, no deals and found the best price I could on a Linksys WTR350 Wireless Router/ Access Point and I got it in today. After a few hurdles, always there with networking, I am up and running. My wireless pc's are pulling high 3600 kbps now and wired are over 4000 again on FF, and nearly 3000 on IE. What a difference and yet the slowdown must have been gradual...and I only discovered it by accident.
Some of the speeds I am seeing are almost double what they were. The router which I thought was an excellent one, was a little over 2 years old. I had tried the Verizon Access Point alone after i discovered the issue, and the wired units made no difference, so getting back my speed on those was a total surprise. The wireless units are faster then I thought they would be, yet I expected a difference there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124081
I cannot say enough good things about this router!

Dan18960
09-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I have been more than pleased with linksys for years now.

Glad you are enjoying your speed.

Guest11
09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
This is more than just Linksys though. It is a router with a signal booster, access point and router, and the difference is so obvious. Funny that I used to get that speed though with the USR wired, but never the wireless.

PeteF
09-13-2007, 12:59 AM
I have been more than pleased with linksys for years now.

Linksys = My favorite brand for routers. :)

My only complaint about Linksys is that you often need a magifying glass
to read important info like SN, model#, etc on their products. Even the
manuals have such tiny text when you print them from their electronic
form.

Other than that, great tech support, good website, and a solid
product that is realtively easy to setup and manage.

---pete---

Guest11
09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Linksys = My favorite brand for routers. :)

My only complaint about Linksys is that you often need a magifying glass
to read important info like SN, model#, etc on their products. Even the
manuals have such tiny text when you print them from their electronic
form.

Other than that, great tech support, good website, and a solid
product that is realtively easy to setup and manage.

---pete---
Funny you should mention that. I called for tech support on something and they asked so damn many questions about every piece of equipment I had and what I was doing with it and then they asked for the damn serial number and I am in a badly lit room with a hooked up router and a jewelers loop in one eye and a flashlight and portable phone in other hand and I could not read that for anything so the guy finally relented when I threatened to hang up and he admitted he didn't really need any of that and I could forget the serial number!

PeteF
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
...and then they asked for the damn serial number and I am in a badly lit room with a hooked up router and a jewelers loop in one eye and a flashlight and portable phone in other hand...

Rich, consider adding one of these Popup Magnfiers w/Light to your tool kit.
http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/585-lighted-2x-popup-magnifier.html

The light is powerfull enough to use as a flashlight to see inside the
PC as well as reading labels or connectors in tight dark places.
It's one of my best and most often used tools.

---pete---

Guest11
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Rich, consider adding one of these Popup Magnfiers w/Light to your tool kit.
http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/585-lighted-2x-popup-magnifier.html

The light is powerfull enough to use as a flashlight to see inside the
PC as well as reading labels or connectors in tight dark places.
It's one of my best and most often used tools.

---pete---

Thanks Pete I ordered one!

TonyDi
09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I picked up one of these a few months ago at Staples. Used it today - it comes in handy. Read serial numbers and hard drive jumper settings.