PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Portable Version

jcampi
09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
There is a portable version of Firefox that can be installed to a usb thumb drive if desired. My desire would be to use Firefox only on the usb drive and not have it install or place any remnant files on my work pc. I was using Firefox on a usb drive previously, but I'm pretty sure it placed files on my work pc and specifically in the Windows Registry. I need to know if I can install and use Firefox portable on a usb drive without having ANY of the files placed on my work pc. After all, my IT Unit precludes use of Firefox for certain reasons and only permits use of IE.

Goku
09-22-2007, 03:48 AM
I think the Firefox Portable Support answers your queries. Have a look at it.

Firefox Portable Support (http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable)

Try and see if that's what you are looking for. Good Luck. :)

dbarrow
09-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I have the U3 version on a flash drive. It was a snap to transfer all my Bookmarks. I believe it even took all the extensions like AdBlocker Plus.
A little slow but works.

The problems would be the restrictions IT has applied to your Windows and the ability to execute the .exe file to start and run it.
Our work machnes have a policy restriction that won't let it run. Loads the flash drive, sees the software, no way to get at it or start it.

jcampi
09-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the response, dbarrow. I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I was using Firefox on a usb drive and could swear it still loaded files on my work pc in the registry and in certain folders. The IT Unit doesn't restrict my use of software, but they monitor computers on the network at times. If they scan my pc I don't want them to find any Mozilla or Firefox files. It the portable program could assure me it doesn't place ANY files on my pc I might give it another try. I'll just keep using IE.

dbarrow
09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
John, do you have anyone with a real brain in the IT Dept. you can ask about using FF?
You can present a rather compelling argument about using it with AdBlock Plus and McAfee Site Advisor to be rid of the annoying popups in IE and better security. You can even let them review your bookmarks.
As far as I saw, the U3 Travel drive left nothing behind.

I can't even use IE at work because the main program we use requires the popup blocking be turned off in order to work. Any web surfing becomes an extreme annoyance with the amount of cascading popups. The Superscout blocking firewall they use blocks the links embedded on the web pages and generates an alert. Just trying to browse the excite.com tv schedule (the only thing I use it for at work) is exascerbating and a total annoyance.

jcampi
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't ask anyone in the IT Unit about Firefox because they prohibit us from using it. IT can only monitor users of IE so they will not allow use of Firefox. I thought I might give Firefox portable a try on a usb drive if it didn't leave ANY remnant files on my pc, but don't want to take the risk of using Firefox and getting the wrath of the IT Unit. It was just a thought.

dbarrow
09-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Know what you mean...
IT idiots can be firmly entrenched in their own little world they build around them and don't want to be told any different. In some cases, they have a valid argument. In others, you just want to stick a screwdriver up their nose!
Engage one in a debate and they immediately start to babble in 'computer speak' trying to snow you. If it becomes apparant that you know more than they do, they run away and hide and refuse to talk to you anymore.

What can be really fun is when it boils down to a big issue and you have a big meeting with IT and "the powers that be" management and the "peons" make the IT guys look like blithering idiots.